Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Except for those us that don't want the controllers. I'd like the option of *not* ordering it. For most DCS fans, the controller won't add much to the value proposition.

Then just buy the Rift?

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

No doubt, and it's one of the reasons that I've preordered the Oculus hardware. BUT they are still keeping much of final specs of both systems very close to their chests.

What specs are we waiting on?

I thought we had them all?

Res won't change, refresh rate won't change, required user hardware can't really change.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Only reason I would change my order from cv1 to vive if they came out and said you can do full walk arounds your aircraft for pre flight. Lol. Both look good and really trying to avoid the hype machine until have product in hands and Dcs users report their findings.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

What specs are we waiting on?

I thought we had them all?

Res won't change, refresh rate won't change, required user hardware can't really change.

We don't know the most important specs of the displays yet. We know the displays resolution, but there is a hellofalot more to displays than their resolution and HZ, that will make a huge difference in the quality of the experience. The space between pixels alone is very important. We still don't know if these displays are good enough to spot distant objects in flight sims, other than DCS saying the CV1 is like night and over the Dk2. I know from my own Dk2 that it was no were near good enough for flight sims, and "night and day" doesn't adequately answer the question.

Most people have suggest that the Rift has less SDE, which could make the Rift better for flight simmers, along with fact we can buy it for a few hundred dollars less. BUT I take most reviews with a grain of salt.

Then just buy the Rift?

I already did. I'm happy to buy the Valve if it performs better with DCS. That's all that matters to me. I couldn't care less if the goggle on my head is made by Oculus or HTC.

What I don't know is where ED is with Vive development/optimization. What the resolution will be, and what the refresh requirements are.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

What I don't know is where ED is with Vive development/optimization. What the resolution will be, and what the refresh requirements are.

Was it confirmed that DCS will work with Vive eventually?

EDIT:

Nvm, found it:

DCS World is now working in Vive and we are currently testing the VR game controllers for cockpit interaction.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2546158&postcount=185

Edited by empeck

We don't know the most important specs of the displays yet. We know the displays resolution, but there is a hellofalot more to displays than their resolution and HZ, that will make a huge difference in the quality of the experience. The space between pixels alone is very important. We still don't know if these displays are good enough to spot distant objects in flight sims...

Just so we're clear, you're saying that SDE is more important than resolution and framerate?

I disagree. Resolution and refresh rate are the most important things.

Detecting targets is all about detail, and the only thing that can provide that is resolution. Even optics are more important than SDE in terms of their impact in lowering the clarity of that detail.

Either way, if there were a clear difference between screens/optics in terms of quality, it would be universal truth, so I can't see there being that significant a difference, but this will only really become clear once both are available. For now, I don't have a problem saying that the Rift has the edge in the overall screen clarity stakes, but for me there are more pros to the entire package that come with the Vive.

Most people have suggest that the Rift has less SDE, which could make the Rift better for flight simmers

But you'd take what they say with a grain of salt, right?

Not to belabour the point, but I don't think that better SDE will improve things as significantly for flight sims as you expect. I may be proven wrong, but I really doubt it.

along with fact we can buy it for a few hundred dollars less. BUT I take most reviews with a grain of salt.

It's a couple of hundred less, unless you've picked some arbitrary currency to go by, without stating it. I'm sure you weren't deliberately providing misinformation.

I'm surprised at how many people in this and other forums have decided to buy one over the other, when nobody knows the final specs, content, and price of either one yet.

Good to see you followed your own advice. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I already did. I'm happy to buy the Valve if it performs better with DCS. That's all that matters to me. I couldn't care less if the goggle on my head is made by Oculus or HTC.

Is your plan to sell the losing device?

What I don't know [...] What the resolution will be, and what the refresh requirements are.

1080x1200 per eye, 90Hz. That information has been available for quite some time.

Edited by S3NTRY11
res, yikes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Was it confirmed that DCS will work with Vive eventually?

Yep but noone here really knows how VR performance is going to pan out in DCS for Vive OR Rift. I'm not in the situation of buying a first gen HMD just to play DCS so I won't be too worried about DCS performance in the short term. It might be the case that 2nd generation HMDs are available by the time that DCS performance becomes truly viable for VR.

This might be something to consider if you were planning to buy a HMD "exclusively" for DCS.

I´m good.

But since when does i7-2600K have 8 cores?

And 3.4 GHz should be 4.4 GHz..

Untitled.png.d01d18be7e88d275f013f75b05595044.png

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Just so we're clear, you're saying that SDE is more important than resolution and framerate?

I disagree. Resolution and refresh rate are the most important things.

Detecting targets is all about detail, and the only thing that can provide that is resolution. Even optics are more important than SDE in terms of their impact in lowering the clarity of that detail.

Either way, if there were a clear difference between screens/optics in terms of quality, it would be universal truth, so I can't see there being that significant a difference, but this will only really become clear once both are available. For now, I don't have a problem saying that the Rift has the edge in the overall screen clarity stakes, but for me there are more pros to the entire package that come with the Vive.

But you'd take what they say with a grain of salt, right?

Not to belabour the point, but I don't think that better SDE will improve things as significantly for flight sims as you expect. I may be proven wrong, but I really doubt it.

It's a couple of hundred less, unless you've picked some arbitrary currency to go by, without stating it. I'm sure you weren't deliberately providing misinformation.

Good to see you followed your own advice. :music_whistling:

OK.. It appears every point has to spelled out for you.

The Vive and Rift will have the SAME resolution and HZ, so the IMPORTANT part will be the individuals displays space between, pixel arrangement, pixel Colorado arrangement, fill rate, etc etc

The amount of SDE will have a huge effect on how well you will be able spot distant aircraft.

AS I SAID THATS ONLY PART OF THE EQUATION

Seems Vive has lower requirements.

Or so they want to suggest.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Is your plan to sell the losing device?

1080x1200 per eye, 90Hz. That information has been available for quite some time.

Yes, but I can take my time checking out Vive after playing around with CV1. I already new about Wags' comment that they have Vive in house. The thing is, I've been playing DCS since DK1 days - what...year or two ago? - and it's *still* not optimized for Rift. I have to assume that Vive is further behind in terms of optimized experience.

So I'll test Rift, and check out Vive user reports and pick it up if everyone is happy with it. And sell off the loser.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The only advantage less SDE has is because of a larger pixels

The resolution is the same but it is possible that 3 pixels on a screen with lots of SDE is not as noticeable as 3 pixels on a screen with less SDE. Chivas could probably spell that out better for people who might not know :)

At this early stage of VR with low resolution, I dont think that one will have the leg up on the other. One may have slightly less SDE than the other but I think at this stage, what will make far more difference is the software catering specifically to these devices and rendering far objects a little differently.

OK.. It appears every point has to spelled out for you.

I do need it clarified when someone can't say what they mean, or just spins what they mean when someone challenges their notions.

Because...

We don't know the most important specs of the displays yet. We know the displays resolution, but there is a hellofalot more to displays than their resolution and HZ, that will make a huge difference in the quality of the experience. The space between pixels alone is very important.

...sounds very much like you are saying SDE is more important. Which is what I was seeking clarity on. Which I disagree with, for the reasons mentioned.

The Vive and Rift will have the SAME resolution and HZ, so the IMPORTANT part will be the individuals displays space between, pixel arrangement, pixel Colorado arrangement, fill rate, etc etc

The amount of SDE will have a huge effect on how well you will be able spot distant aircraft.

AS I SAID THATS ONLY PART OF THE EQUATION

So now you're saying my thoughts on what you were saying we're right. You're a strange dude. And yeah, I still disagree, as I said.

Also, saying SDE fifteen different ways (SDE is just a manifestation of all the jumbled terms you used subsequent to it), doesn't increase the number of factors you're talking about. It's all SDE and it's all not going to make much difference at all. Or not not as much difference as you're huffing on about, at least.

Edited by S3NTRY11

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]