Human RIO advantages?

ChoSeungWan

I'll be the RIO any time. I already know a couple of people I can fly with. I know that in these old jets the workload is huge. Hell, just look at the MiG-21 and the MiG-15 (which has the most ridiculously inconvenient radio procedure EVER).

I am sure once a couple of videos are out (I plan on doing a number of them myself) with a good pilot/RIO team, people will give the RIO a try. It's a more important job than many might think. And I'm sure people don't even suspect how much fun it can be.

Multicrewing in Jane's Longbow 2 with my brother was a ton of fun. We would switch roles every other mission so it never got stale. In fact my other two brothers joined us a couple of times in another Apache during LAN sessions. Was great fun, and yes the no drinking 8 hours before flying rule might have been ignored.

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

I'd love to fly Rio whenever I get the chance, but as a pilot I'd like the option to remove or change or even lock closed the Rio position so I don't get some troll raining on my proverbial parade

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awww, that is sorta sad, maybe they could make a section at Match.com to hook up pilots with RIOs :D

I'm pretty sure someone will make something similar (i.e a list/meeting place for pilots, gunners, RIO's etc.) as soon as multicrew becomes a reality in DCS.

Multicrewing in Jane's Longbow 2 with my brother was a ton of fun. We would switch roles every other mission so it never got stale. In fact my other two brothers joined us a couple of times in another Apache during LAN sessions. Was great fun, and yes the no drinking 8 hours before flying rule might have been ignored.

Yea, been longing for multicrew with a "study sim" and modern helis/jets since then - espescially a AH-64 sim! It is possible in IL2 as well as ArmA 3 (and probabaly a few more) but workload for gunner is a bit low.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

- Radio operator (in F-14, almost all comum radio comunications is going by the RIO)

- Radar operator

- Contermanuvers settings

- Some weapons settings.

Really i not a expert in this bird, but this i think is the most commun.

Intel i7 7700K | ASUS MAXIMUN IX Hero | GSkill RBG 3000mhz 32G(4x8G) | MSI Trio 1080ti | 1x M.2 SSD Samsung 960PRO 512G | 1 x WesterDigital 4T | Corsair AX-850W | Monitor Alienware 34" aw3418dw | Oblisidian 800D |CORSAIR H80 | Teclado Logitech G15 |Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite | Trackir 5 + Clip pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Pedal MFG Crosswind

Whether people choose to use it or not I'm just excited that can now be done. Hopefully the multi-crew is not proprietary and this will be able to open up the crew slots in the Mi-8 and Huey, and maybe encourage a third party to give us a Hind, Alligator, Cobra or Apache. Plus of course the F15E...

S

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Also:

-electronic warfare;

-bingo checks;

-feet wet/feet dry checks;

-extra pair of eyes....

I'm sure there is something more we missed....

EDIT:

-navigation;

-emergency procedures...

just 2 more quickies that came to mind :)

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I'm afraid you are right. I guess, too few people would find enough satisfaction in taking on the RIO function, no matter how hard, authentic and engaging it is. I would still want a real person in the back though. Just don't ask me what role i prefer ;)

I can't wait to try RIO and would get GREAT satisfaction from that role. Tbh, I'v been waiting years for a RIO-role flight sim :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: W10 PRO 64 bit, Intel 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Code, 32GB G-Skill Ripjaw DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 1TB M.2 970PRO SSD Primary HDD, 4TB Storage, TH Warthog, Oculus Rift, 27" Samsung 4k Display. 2x Wheel Stand Pro v2 (Hotas & Stick) + Warthog Stick Adaptor

Wings in my sig say I have no problem with the backseat (though I don't mind driving either).

That said, if there's going to be any long-term interest in the RIO position, we'll need the bombcat variant so the RIO can perform buddy lasing. IRL, the Tomcat would be onstation lasing the target while the Hornets would drop the LGBs and get out of the threat area. Worked really well for the division of labor, and also gives the RIO a lot more tactical relevance in the event that the AIM-54 is not a factor.

Can someone list the tasks of a RIO in the F14? I got a general Idea of his tasks but I wonder what else he's got to do....

He tells the nose gunner where to go and what to do.....

Seriously, a lot of strike leads are RIOs and they set the navigation and flight profile, do all the talking on the radios, and establish the intercept speed and bearing. The AWG-9 is an old set but the RIO had a lot of great control over what it presented.

Also, one of the greatest advantages of a human RIO? Putting veteran pilots in the back seat to teach new guys ACM. This ability alone will be a huge benefit to an virtual squadrons. Can't wait to join one flying this great piece of hardware.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

I think for me.... if the Apache A comes out, I would find a team mate and we would fly together rotating pilot Rio roles. The banter would be great as would target finding.

A tight situation would be a joy not a work intensive hassle.

Probably in the F-14 you would move from BVR to WVR seamlessly and without fear. whether this is a good thing or a bad thing you will not care... you will have fun finding out.

But as usual with us flight simmers… it will probably be as described above.

I hope not.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

However, I think at the end of the day it comes down to one thing.... purpose.

The online dynamic campaign is the only way to fulfill that purpose and to reinforce the need for teamwork and it just ain't there in DCS at the moment.

Pay to use dynamic campaign.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I, for one, am looking forward to sitting in the back seat, it was my favourite in both Fleet Defender and Tornado. Add me to the RIO list :)

It was also a necessity to spend time in the back in both of those (much more so in FD, though) made especially easy with that fancy TFR in the Tornado :)

I hope some AP altitude stabilization mode could be used in the Tomcat when switching to the RIO position in SP.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

How will the human multicrew be implemented to make pilots actually want a player RIO instead of an AI? Is there not a danger that if you can easily control the AI from the pilot seat that no one wants a human RIO? This is the case with multi-crewed tanks in Red Orchestra 2.

You are talking to a crowd who enjoys playing games with a shit-ton of physics and buttons just for the hell of it.

"Easier" is not in sim enthusiast's dictionary.

I cant wait to fill the RIO role. I'm just gonna play with a real life buddy and switch out on a flight by flight basis , one time i'll be rio , the next flight i'll be doing some of that pilot shit. I may even get this on sale for some friends who dont play flight sims to try and pull them in.

As for the OP's question : i'm sure having someone in the back tell you exacly what a bandit is doing (in WVR.. and even in BVR tbh) will be more accurate and detailed then having the AI tell you. That may be for better or worse XD

Playing Steelbeasts with my son is quite rewarding when we are sharing an AFV in co-op mode but he is not interested in flight sims and my grandson is still too young tho he does love aircraft and DCS :)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Plus plenty of good cockpit angles for film making... Carrier practice...

Even SAM evasion, the extra eyes are indeed helpful.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say, my friends and I are looking forward to the F-14's multicrew ability for one reason. We all enjoy flight 'sims'.....Should one even consider War Thunder a sim...it's not. But it limits us to only four flying out at once, and there are like, 12 of us. And not all of us can even fly with a joystick. :joystick: