Has anyone finished the CMSC?

Warhog

@Gus- Thank you. I am assuming you meant my Photobucket site?

Both that and other posts 'all over' ;-) Building techniques, tech approach for guages to name a few and quality focus in all is impressing. Don't stop please. (Arthritis is hell)

Your CMSC OSRAM implementation will be great to follow !

Real panels are 146,05mm wide, that display is 96mm wide.

No and No. My CMSC is close to 129*46 mm and the OLED 2row Display area is near 72mm (96 is total width).

(the AN/APR same placement in A-10A has same dimensions and mount as the CMSC but I nudged the front of CMSC down a bit to ease space for the VVI and RWR display in my rig)

Even if it's Q&D approach, it enable the text to appear close to where it does in the real thing. Rightmost LEDs and knobs had to be moved down a bit to make space for the display though. The Unused part of the display will be covered with the now missing lightpanel/frontplate

Edit:

@Anton: Thanks, found a local supplier for a 'Green Stage filter Gel'. Ordered and will try it out

Edit #2: Just reread the answer to Nikolas_A and found it may sound harch. Note to self:avoid posting during workhours. No offence intended

Best

Gus

Edited by Duckling

- - - -

Sorry, I should have stated i was referring to the CMSC not the CMSP. CMSC is not as wide as console panels.

@john, nice work

@duckling, nice work, doesnt have to be 100% replica,it does the job and still looks cool.

Edited by Firedawg

Sorry I haven't had a chance to chime in there guys but this arthritis knocked the crap out of me for almost a week. But I'm back know.

Yes indeed, I think the only way to go for the CMSC is the OSRAM displays. They work so well and it really is an important panel from a visual perspective. Its not like every panel is as expensive as this one tends to be but it does look very nice. These are the only shots I have so far. The display is bright and using the green acrylic dumbs that down a bit. They are definitely worth the money.

Please don't look at the dust or the edges as they need some touch up.

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

The panel is a actually rather stunning when its all clean and shiny.

@Gus- Thank you. I am assuming you meant my Photobucket site?

Beautiful. I think I'm going for real OSRAM displays too...

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Well thank you all for the wonderful comments. They are very much appreciated.

You know it sometimes takes huge blocks of time to get a panel finished and looking just right. Or maybe you finish it and upon closer inspection you realize that "this looks like crap" and into the shitter it goes and you start all over again. But when you do get a panel that is just as you want it, it nice to see that others appreciate it as much as you do. So thanks again guys.

As to getting the CMSC lit up, it will be a little bit longer wait before I'm ready to program it. I'm actually waiting until Ian has finished his work with DCS-BIOS before I get into making it functional. I didn't want to have to rewrite the code for each panel even if it is minor so I will wait. I will however post a "how to" when it is complete, assuming it doesn't burst into flames upon power up.:music_whistling: I did test the displays just to ensure they would be as awesome as I thought they would. WOW were they ever. So much so that I broke with convention on the Fuel panel and used one for it instead of a rolling tape counter. The Total Fuel Display is now a rolling OSRAM display. :thumbup:

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

That fuel gauge rocks John. I love the way you have managed to keep the depth (if that's the right description) compact.

I think your ability to fabricate the pcb's makes it so much easier.

I build something and it looks like scaffolding round a monument, rip it down because then I find that I can make it slimmer, build again, rip it down,

ad infinitum hence I aint got anything completed yet apart from the aluminium cockpit stuff.

Maybe I am going to have to learn how to make a pcb, along with learning autocad, arduino, DCS-Bios, recap binary and hex coding, lasers etc :) I nearly gave up but I get so much enjoyment out of it, I would miss the stress.

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

Thanks Gordy. Actually, most of my panels started that way as well. It wasn't until I was getting close to finishing most of them that I decided to rebuild a couple and see how compact I could make them. My Caution Panel went from 6" deep to less than 1" deep. My AOA gauge was 4 inches deep and now it's 3/4". It all comes down to planning. And thats really hard when your not used to making things like this. When I have a finished panel sitting in front of me I can see where changes can be made. But before hand...not so much.

As I got older (last year to be precise) I lost my ability to see and design in 3d. That makes it doubly difficult. But so far I have rebuilt at least five panel and they are all now under an inch. BTW, the ability to make your own PCB's, in my mind, is critical to the whole process. You need to learn how and start doing.:thumbup:

And Calum, to answer your question... is this enough...

IMG_0616.jpg

They're the same ones Anton has.

John

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

John, was wondering about your reasoning using osrams for fuel qty gauge. To me it looks like the small OLEDs are the perfect part for it.

Your absolutely correct Anton. Had I been of sound mind and body at the time, I would have used the OLED's I purchased just for that purpose. But they looked so cool... I just couldn't ...you know?

Something came over me :pilotfly:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

They were on eBay Peter but I haven't seen them since I originally purchased them.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

The ones I purchased were Avago HCMS -2973.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall