DCS and Windows 10

ivo

Windows 10 Licensing explained some:

For Windows X

Starter, Home Basic and Home Premium will become Windows Home

Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate will become Windows Pro.

(Enterprise and Ultimate are essentially the same features, except Ent supports VLK, Ult. doesnt)

Boxed retail versions differ based on version (HomeBasic, HomePremium, Pro, Ultimate, Enterprise, etc)

OEM, Limited Support (ie Support is provided by the PC Manufacturer), License is attached to the Hardware.

Retail, Support from Microsoft, Can be moved from one ayatem to another but will only activate on one at a time.

VLK, Volume License Keys, Support from MS, one key is bought and used on a lot of systems, limited to businesses.

If you have a Retail Win7/8 license, you'll get a retail Win10 license.

oem gets oem, vlk gets vlk

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Windows 10 comes in two flavours: Home and Pro.

If you're running Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic or Home Premium, you will get the Home version.

Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate upgrade to the Pro version.

Windows 10 comes in NINE editions.

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Mobile

You can purchase Home and Pro as consumer as WIndows 10 Mobile is pre-installed on mobile devices.

Windows 10 Education

Windows 10 Enterprise

Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

That is the six, then comes the other three for embedded systems

Windows 10 Enterprise Embedded

Windows 10 Mobile Embedded

Windows 10 for "Internet of Things Gadgets"

And that is all the nine editions of the Windows 10.

So basically right with your "in two flavors" as the normal Windows users has just the two editions to be chosen for, Home or Professional and the difference between those is like non-existing.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The biggest difference (and to me the most annoying) between Windows 10 Home and Pro is the way updates are installed.

With the Pro version, you will have control over your updates.

With the Home version, updates will be automatically installed whenever they become available, and there is no way to change that.

If it works the same as in the tech preview, this means the system installs updates and reboots without warning, so any documents you have opened will be lost.

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

If it works the same as in the tech preview, this means the system installs updates and reboots without warning, so any documents you have opened will be lost.

Going out on a limb since I don't have Tech Preview installed... but what you're saying seems highly unlikely. The updates might be installed without any interference of the user but I'm pretty sure you can save your docs before the installation actually occurs.

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

The biggest difference (and to me the most annoying) between Windows 10 Home and Pro is the way updates are installed.

With the Pro version, you will have control over your updates.

With the Home version, updates will be automatically installed whenever they become available, and there is no way to change that.

In all flavors of Windows 10 I have installed you have the selection under "settings/updates" to select that you should be asked before a reboot. I believe what you say here is wrong. But it is important that all unexperienced users also get security updates! Not all users know about these, or want to know.

Ps AMD and nVidia are both putting out Lowered Overhead DX11 Drivers for WinX.

So yeah there actually might be a small improvement.

Do you have some sort of reference for that statement. This is the first I've heard of it and would love to read up a bit more on it!

Do you have some sort of reference for that statement. This is the first I've heard of it and would love to read up a bit more on it!

Outside of unofficial drivers mentioning, you wont see anything about it mainstream until it hits WHQL.

Last few Win10 beta drivers have reduced overhead DX11 Dll

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...
Auto Update is reason enough for me to pass on the upgrade.

I like to be notified of updates but I want to maintain complete control over when I download and install them.

You always could, can and will be able to disable auto-update in Windows ( XP-10 ).

Depending on your OS version there are GUI's and Registry Edits available to turn auto-update off.

Check Google for your version of how to do it.

Currently, there is no way to turn it off in Win10 as it is in beta and MS forces you to update.

This feature has been enabled and disabled over the Win10 beta period, dictated by MS.

But you can choose between fast and slow built upgrades, but that's another story.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I know that change has no constituents but regardless of this fact Windows 10 is shaping up to be a fine OS. Many of the shortcomings of the Windows 8.1 interface and the balance between mobile computing and workstation computing have been corrected.

Windows 10 can be used equally well on a desktop or a mobile device and the shift in the GUI between touch/swipe and keyboard/mouse is much better. This integration seems spot on to me and the new OS an absolute pleasure so far.

I am really looking forward to release. I will be embracing the change as well as helping my fellow 104th members get over any fears of doing the same.

Out

Everyone else is moving toward DX12 .. and we still have to migrate to DX11?

I don't want to be the one who moans about it.. but DX12 is a major improvement (much much more than the DX9 > DX11) in terms of performance.

DCS2 isn't out yet.... why isn't going to be full DX12 compliant? It won't make sense to release something "new", with an already expiring tech.