Su-33 PFM

archer86

Is it currently possible to take off from the carrier deck with the PFM? I can't get enough speed. I've tried taking only half of a fuel load.

Yes, I've taken off with about 60% fuel load and a full set of missiles. But it took several tries to get it right, and even then it was a close thing. I'm not sure if this is because it's a WIP or if this reflects the very real fact that the Su-27 airframe was not originally designed for STOBAR.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, cannot wait for the PFM to come out officially! It's already a great sneak peak as it is... :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Yeah, cannot wait for the PFM to come out officially! It's already a great sneak peak as it is... :)

What was interesting to me is that I found the PFM version easier to control. Had no trouble taking off with missiles and 40% fuel. Also fun on a moving carrier, since it doesn't seem to be "sticking" to the deck.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

What was interesting to me is that I found the PFM version easier to control. Had no trouble taking off with missiles and 40% fuel. Also fun on a moving carrier, since it doesn't seem to be "sticking" to the deck.

Agreed. I believe the canards add to that initial stability getting off the ground, as the nose-down tendency is suppressed some compared to the Su-27. Very nice. Overall, the 33 feels quite stable.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Do you have to turn around first and get some extra runway length to take off from the carrier? I can't take off successfully from the ramp position with 50% fuel and no missiles.

Do you have to turn around first and get some extra runway length to take off from the carrier? I can't take off successfully from the ramp position with 50% fuel and no missiles.

I don't have to turn around because, with the moving carrier, I stand still while it passes under me. :) But it looks like I'm rolling backwards...and brakes seem to have no effect on the motion.

By quickly jamming the throttles forward as soon as I was in the pit I was able to take off more or less from the normal position. But that's 40% fuel w R-73*2, R-27ET*2 and R-27ER*4. I seem to recall reading somewhere awhile ago that the normal procedure was to takeoff was with 30-40% fuel and, then, aerial refuel before conducting the mission. But I don't remember where I read it or how valid the info might be.

EDIT: Carrier was moving at 25 km/hr into a 5 m/sec (18 km/hr) wind. So 43 km/hr wind coming over the deck to assist. It may be that, with the PFM, you now have to pay attention to things like that.

Do you guys see War Power as an assignable option in controls? That might be missing, and might be the issue.

As in extra thrust? Not home, so I can't check right now.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I don't have to turn around because, with the moving carrier, I stand still while it passes under me. :) But it looks like I'm rolling backwards...and brakes seem to have no effect on the motion.

By quickly jamming the throttles forward as soon as I was in the pit I was able to take off more or less from the normal position. But that's 40% fuel w R-73*2, R-27ET*2 and R-27ER*4. I seem to recall reading somewhere awhile ago that the normal procedure was to takeoff was with 30-40% fuel and, then, aerial refuel before conducting the mission. But I don't remember where I read it or how valid the info might be.

EDIT: Carrier was moving at 25 km/hr into a 5 m/sec (18 km/hr) wind. So 43 km/hr wind coming over the deck to assist. It may be that, with the PFM, you now have to pay attention to things like that.

As in extra thrust? Not home, so I can't check right now.

Ahh, OK. I was using a stationary carrier with no wind. I'll experiment some more when I get home tonight. I'll check for war power as well.

• ED Team

If you can find it, you probably need to be using that, full AB and War Power, if you dont have it, it will come with the actual release.

[*]The engines now have a “special mode” that adds up to 12,800 kg of thrust (instead of the normal 12,500 kg of thrust). This mode also includes realistic operating time restrictions.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Many of the video I seen posted here, it seems that it is normal for the aircraft to take off from the rear position, there has to be a reason for that.

Several examples here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3197439&postcount=1301

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

In that video you can see the fuel gauge marking 6.000 Kg fuel and landing with arund 2.500 kg.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Did that help at all? It still might just be that its not a full release of the FM.

Emergency military power (L shift+e) engage only when you are at full after burner.

Also if you hold (L shift+w) "wheel brake start" according to the axis indicator

it increase the braking power,useful if you want to take off from the carrier.

So to take off from the carrier:

-Hold L shift+w until the engines are at full after burner

-Release L shift+w and then engage the emergency military power...

Try to take off:should be easier now!

• Like 1

Did that help at all? It still might just be that its not a full release of the FM.

Seemed to. Only tried a few comparisons but seemed to sink less after leaving the ramp when using that key combo.

_____

Emergency military power (L shift+e) engage only when you are at full after burner.

The engine feature in question is called "чрезвычайный режим (ЧР)" in Russian, which I believe simply translates to "emergency mode".

Its an extension to the engine's afterburner regime, which in turn is separate from the normal thrust range for which "military power" is the max setting.

JJ

Whatever happened to the chocks that come up to engage the main landing gear? I haven't seem them come up in quite some time. They used to appear after hitting the "U" key I believe. I even called the tower for takeoff permission, which brought the Jet Blast Deflector up but still no chocks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The engine feature in question is called "чрезвычайный режим (ЧР)" in Russian, which I believe simply translates to "emergency mode".

Its an extension to the engine's afterburner regime, which in turn is separate from the normal thrust range for which "military power" is the max setting.

The AL-31's have a War Power/Overdrive mode w/ Limited time of operation (to avoid damage to engine).

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Whatever happened to the chocks that come up to engage the main landing gear? I haven't seem them come up in quite some time. They used to appear after hitting the "U" key I believe. I even called the tower for takeoff permission, which brought the Jet Blast Deflector up but still no chocks.

AFAIK the chucks were the same as used when the aircraft is parked and are part of the aircraft 3D model(added/removed via visibility argument).

So maybe ED removed their appearance from the carrier logic in preparation for the arrival of the new aircraft carrier model(with the proper chucks)?

JJ

The AL-31's have a War Power/Overdrive mode w/ Limited time of operation (to avoid damage to engine).

The AL-31 as such does not - only the one used on the Su-33.

Its not a "War power" mode, but an "Emergency mode" with the primary purpose of ensuring safe take-offs from the aircraft carrier and recovery in case of a "bolter".

JJ