Russian A-321 crashed in Egypt, 224 dead

Yurgon

• ED Team

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/04/africa/russian-plane-crash-egypt-sinai/index.html

The latest U.S. intelligence suggests that the crash of Metrojet Flight 9268 was most likely caused by a bomb on the plane planted by ISIS or an ISIS affiliate, according to a U.S. official familiar with the matter. The official stressed that there has not been a formal conclusion reached by the U.S. intelligence community. "There is a definite feeling it was an explosive device planted in luggage or somewhere on the plane," the official told CNN's Barbara Starr.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

So far this is all preliminary of course and therefore subject to change. That being said, weren't there some (obviously minor) incidents involving a Qantas A380 and a BA 777 with engines blowing up or receiving other types of catastrophic damage?

I remember one uncontained engine failure with an A380 (Quantas flight 32) a few years ago but never heard of another occurrence of the kind with this type. The BA 777 doesn't ring a bell off the top of my head.

The latest U.S. intelligence suggests that the crash of Metrojet Flight 9268 was most likely caused by a bomb on the plane planted by ISIS or an ISIS affiliate, according to a U.S. official familiar with the matter. The official stressed that there has not been a formal conclusion reached by the U.S. intelligence community. "There is a definite feeling it was an explosive device planted in luggage or somewhere on the plane," the official told CNN's Barbara Starr.

Al Qaida. Anything else would be pure speculation at this point. :D

Kidding aside, first post updated with both bits of information and some more stuff from the CNN article (Flight Data Recorder contents have been copied, Cockpit Voice Recorder takes longer because of damage).

Thx gents. :)

I don't trust anything from CNN :music_whistling:

• Like 1

All UK bound flights have been grounded at Sharm. I'd say this is a pretty sure indication that a bomb is now the most likely cause.

Also, the chief of security at Sharm has been fired.

You don't need to believe CNN or Russian news. Actions speak louder than words - especially given the visit of the Egyptian premier to the UK. I'm sure he'll be livid that we're killing his tourism industry, even if it is only a very temporary measure while security gets reviewed and beefed up.

I wouldn't put down the hammer just yet, although this possibility does seem likely at this point.

The facts we know are that during the investigation the Egyptian government detected some parts of the security at Sharm El-Sheikh were possible to bypass (specifics have not been provided at this point). This is the security chief's fault, so his head rolled. The UK, in turn, cancelled its flights because it felt that the measures taken to address that were not enough at this point.

All we know so far about the crash demonstrates there has been an explosion of some sort.

PM Cameron's statement (source)

“As I say, we cannot be certain that the Russian airliner was brought down by a terrorist bomb, but because it’s a strong possibility, it’s right to act, it’s right to act quickly, it’s right to act on the advice that we receive, it’s right to act on the intelligence that we have. We’ve discussed this with others in Europe, we’ve discussed this with the Americans, I’ll be calling President Putin in a moment or two to discuss this with him as well, but my view is that my job is to take the action necessary to protect the interests of British citizens and British lives,” Cameron said on BBC.

Guys, let's stick to the topic at hand, please.

Also, it would be really cool if you could always post a link to the source of any statement, that makes it much easier for me to keep the first post up to date. :thumbup:

Thx.

Inaccurate reports by the media are quite relevant to the topic at hand....

Yes and no. The topic is an aircraft crash. I couldn't care less about people's individual attitude towards this or that TV station. You wanna discuss whether CNN or Ria Nowosti have a lower credibility on the global scale, find another thread.

If, and only if, it is actually on topic, should it be posted here. Otherwise, keep it to yourselves, especially if you have absolutely zero other on-topic remarks in the same post ("you" as in "whoever reads this").

Anyone else feels like discussing media bias, go to Chit Chat or PM me if you must, and keep this thread clean.

You cannot discuss this issue on mature level without showing bias, at current state of World affairs. It's impossible because we are going to have two truths anyway, despite every effort to maintain false political correctness in this thread.

As a matter of fact, bias is the root of the Middle East problem! :)

• ED Team

You all know the rules here, and if you do not please take the time to read them.

No political discussion

The topic " A-321 crashed in Egypt " stay on it or the thread will get cleaned.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Well there's really only two possibilities for a modern airliner's fuselage splitting in two:

a) Bomb;

b) Gross negligence in maintenance and certification.

And IS have taken credit for it, plus reported mid-air heat flash. It would certainly be foolish to assume it wasn't a bomb at this stage.

Thx, first post updated, also included reference to France 2 who cite an investigator that had access to both black boxes and describes the sound of an explosion that can be heard on one of them (probably the Cockpit Voice Recorder, but the report didn't specifically say this).

Well there's really only two possibilities for a modern airliner's fuselage splitting in two:

a) Bomb;

b) Gross negligence in maintenance and certification.

And IS have taken credit for it, plus reported mid-air heat flash. It would certainly be foolish to assume it wasn't a bomb at this stage.

I wote for option B.

Take a look at the top of the fuselage in this pic. It looks like the rear fuselage could have cracked on the top and then seperated from the aircraft.

_86540771_ea7d6b4c-9209-4976-b1c2-27f93821344b.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

According to news from earlier today (Friday, 11/6/15):

"The investigators said the cockpit voice recorder of Metrojet Flight 9268 shows an explosion and the flight data recorder confirms the explosion is not accidental -- there is no sign of mechanical malfunction during the initial part of the flight, France 2 reported.

Everything is fine during the first 24 minutes, then in a fraction of a second there is a blackout and no more cockpit conversation, convincing investigators there was a bomb on board, according to France 2."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/middleeast/russian-plane-crash-egypt-sinai/index.html

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I've leaned towards a bomb from the beginning. I know we can't get political on this, but the party claiming responsibility had motive and opportunity.

I think it was loaded on with the service carts and stores in the rear of the plane. A luggage bomb would have taken the wings and central tank.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

I don't believe anything any more just because someone has said something... they can say anything, and past has shown that what's been said, many times has been a lie. Wars have been started because someone said something... which turned out to be a big fat lie.... so much for "someone said". Instead of listening what someone has said, be observant and use your own brain to draw conclusions.

Edited by Kuky
  • Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

From the Guardian:

Sharm el-Sheikh flight from Stansted dodged missile in August

A plane carrying British holidaymakers to Sharm el-Sheikh came within 300 metres (1,000ft) of a missile as it neared the Egyptian airport in August, the government has confirmed.

A Thomson Airways flight from London Stansted to the Red Sea resort, carrying 189 passengers, took evasive action after the missile was spotted in its trajectory by the pilot. The crew of flight TOM 476 landed the plane safely and passengers were not advised of the incident, which occurred on 23 August.

The Department for Transport (DfT) confirmed that the incident took place but said it did not believe the missile was an attempt to target the British plane, instead ascribing the missile seen by the Thomson pilots to Egyptian military manoeuvres.

A government spokesperson said: “We investigated the reported incident at the time and concluded that it was not a targeted attack and was likely to be connected to routine exercises being conducted by the Egyptian military in the area at the time.

Within 300m after evasive manoeuvres ... !

Then the Egyptian army manage to kill a bunch of tourists by accident just a couple of weeks later...

Cheers.

I don't believe anything any more just because someone has said something... they can say anything, and past has shown that what's been said, many times has been a lie. Wars have been started because someone said something... which turned out to be a big fat lie.... so much for "someone said". Instead of listening what someone has said, be observant and use your own brain to draw conclusions.

This!

Always use your brain people.