V22 Osprey - a good next Model?

VIRUS_AT

Hi Flight-Enthusiasts,

the V-22 Osprey ist a great Flight Maschine. What du you mean, ist the V-22 Osprey a good idea for a next DCS Aircraft? Please tell me your opinion. :pilotfly:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUNJTAybCQQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUNJTAybCQQ[/ame]

V-22_Humvee.jpg

• Like 1

**** „Es gibt alte Piloten und es gibt kühne Piloten, aber es gibt keine alten, kühnen Piloten.“ ****

Andre Kostolany

http://www.combatpilot.at :pilotfly:

Intel i5-3570k 4x3,4 GHz auf MSI M77 MPower, GeForce GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM DDR3-1.600, 500 GB SSD, Logitech G13 + G110, G35 Headset, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, WIN 7 HP, LG IP235P 32 Zoll 21:9,, TrackIR 5

The V-22 is the Rotary Wing version of the F-35. It's an overpriced Egg Beater. The Chinook is a far better Aircraft for WAY less money.

That being said, I don't think there is enough public data to do a DCS level V-22.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

fairly sure there is a Civil version of the Osprey but i don't know, there is not a lot of data about many new/current aircraft, hell the F-14 does not fly anymore but that being said, if they a third part developer works under a contract (such as being done with the typhoon) then maybe just maybe it could happen, however as stated it is limited considering it is a Combat sim and there is very little logistical stuff.

I would love it, lands and takes off like a chopper and goes Hell for leather in between. Whether it could be done or not I do not know, is there anything secret on this airframe?

It sure would be interesting when transitioning from hover configuration to forward flight configuration.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I don't know if it's possible or not but I think it would be great fun to learn to fly! It's so unique.

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

The V-22 is the Rotary Wing version of the F-35. It's an overpriced Egg Beater. The Chinook is a far better Aircraft for WAY less money.

That being said, I don't think there is enough public data to do a DCS level V-22.

Why hasn't anybody thought about doing the Chinook? Most Roaterheads would buy thist on day one of release.

The V-22 is the Rotary Wing version of the F-35. It's an overpriced Egg Beater. The Chinook is a far better Aircraft for WAY less money. That being said, I don't think there is enough public data to do a DCS level V-22.

I'd have to disagree strongly with it being an "over-priced eggbeater". The MV-22 has a definite role to fill and fills that role very nicely! The Osprey can operate faster and over longer ranges than Chinook. Comparing them doesn't do either aircraft justice in my opinion. If you are going to compare the Osprey to something it would have to be the Sea Knight. Which it is replacing. The Chinook and Sea Knight more mature aircraft with excellent capabilities, with out a doubt. I think the only fair comparison for the CH-47 as far as American helicopters go would be the Super Stallion. Both of which are heavy lift helicopters. The MV-22 is falling into the medium lift category which was filled, until recently, very capably by the Sea Knight. I'll leave the F-35 discussion for another forum... Agreed, it is very over-priced!:thumbup:

Why hasn't anybody thought about doing the Chinook? Most Roaterheads would buy thist on day one of release.

I'm sure there have been requests for the Chinook and her little sister the Sea Knight! I would like to see both of them in-game eventually! While I think it would be unlikely to see the MV-22 in DCS as a flyable aircraft, it would certainly be a quick buy for me! I think that Belsimtek would have the best position to make it happen as they already have a working relationship with Bell Helicopter!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Can't glide; can't autorotate; no ejection seats. Loss of both engines results in unsurvivable crash; bad aircraft.

Well that's not true at all. Please stop being so dramatic. No wait, you're right, no ejection seats. We should immediately cease production of all aircraft without ejection seats, it's unsafe!

What part of what I said is untrue? The lifting surfaces are insufficient to glide to a safe landing; there is no autorotational capability at all; there are no ejection seats. By Boeing's own admission, a complete loss of power while airborne will inevitably result in the loss of the aircraft, and they rely on quadruple-redundancy for certain systems for safety. They dismiss with a hand-wave the (very real) possibility of a complete power failure.

Real-world results have backed up my position. At least two of these aircraft have indeed suffered a complete loss of power, with the unsurprising result of the deaths of all on board.

What about the damage boxes on this particular airframe? One hit from a bmp, your left engines down and you a goner, how will it workout?

The two engines are cross connected by shafting through the wings. So if one engine fails, the other continues to drive both prop/rotors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can't glide; can't autorotate; no ejection seats. Loss of both engines results in unsurvivable crash; bad aircraft. Do not want.

Even the most ardent supporter of the V-22 would have to admit that the design has some inherent design flaws ( huge roll inertia, vortex ring state problems) and some engineering problems ( the maintenance on them is a nightmare).

Having said that I don`t think that is a reason not to have it in the game.

Even the most ardent supporter of the V-22 would have to admit that the design has some inherent design flaws ( huge roll inertia, vortex ring state problems) and some engineering problems ( the maintenance on them is a nightmare).

Many aircraft suffer from inherent design flaws, but to be held aloft exclusively by power, with no way to glide or autorotate (or even eject) in the case of loss of power, is more or less unique to this one. Most design defects in other aircraft hamper them in some way, sometimes even in the realm of safety, but not to this extreme.

The aircraft's own manufacturer admitted that it can't safely glide or autorotate, so I don't know why I'm getting resistance on that point. "But both engines are very unlikely to fail at the same time, so it's a non-issue," is the official position. (And yet they have, and it's killed everyone on board each time.)

Having said that I don`t think that is a reason not to have it in the game.

It's true that there's no reason to not model a poorly-designed aircraft in the sim. I don't dispute that at all. I myself have no desire to see this particular one; I loathe the design, and I've stated why.

If the (real) Osprey had ejection seats for all crew, and hauled only cargo instead of troops, then I could easily change my mind about the design. Other than the colossal safety issue, it's a very interesting aircraft.

Edited by Echo38

Apologies. The V-22 can land just fine without engine power. It is perfectly capable of autorotating to a safe landing.

I am no fan of the V-22, but I have a decent grasp of its weaknesses based on numerous conversations with a coworker who flew them for the last couple of years. Vortex ring state, for example, is not a design flaw. If you get into it, it's pilot error.

Anyway, Like I said, I don't like the V-22, and I never have. I always thought that America's defense dollars would have been better spent elsewhere. But it is not the deathtrap that people seem convinced that it is, nor is it a "bad aircraft".

The V-22 can land just fine without engine power. It is perfectly capable of autorotating to a safe landing.

I've seen numerous sources that dispute that, and a simple Internet search just now, using the string "V-22 autorotate autorotation," comes up with more I hadn't seen before. Time magazine is one of them. I can't access the full article, as I am not a Time subscriber, but here's a secondary referencing & quoting it: www.defenseindustrydaily.com/v-22-osprey-a-flying-shame-04822

No autorotation means any crash is likely to kill everyone on board. This issue was also given a fair bit of space in the TIME magazine report:

"The OT-IIG report's own executive summary states: 'Emergency landing after the sudden failure of both engines in the Conversion/Vertical Take-Off and Landing modes below 1,600 feet altitude are not likely to be survivable. The V-22 cannot [author emphasis] autorotate to a safe landing.'"

Here's a link to the OT-IIG report: http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2005/pdf/annex/2005v -22xs.pdf

(remove the space from the link; I cannot get the link to show up properly in the post without it)

On the other hand, my comment about gliding ability (at least under certain conditions) may indeed be uninformed; I'm seeing various glide ratios tossed about by various sources, with a large discrepancy. As it has been several years since I last examined this issue, and I didn't save any references from then, I must concede that I do not presently have a reliable source regarding the V-22's (in)ability to glide to a safe landings.

The USMC seems to think that it should be able to glide to a survivable crash-landing, under good conditions (e.g. if it's already/still going fast when it loses power), but there's plenty out there to suggest that the USMC (and other invested parties) haven't been straight about the V-22. Case in point: http://www.wired.com/2012/10/air-force-silenced-general

Still, even in the case of the Osprey being able to safely glide when forward flight is already established (still in doubt), there's no doubt about the matter when operating in VTOL mode, at normal altitudes for that mode. When you're behaving like a helicopter, below your fixed-wing-mode stall speed (and this is necessary for takeoffs and landings), then you'd better hope your engines don't get knocked out, 'coz you aren't going to get it down in one piece in that condition.

Edited by Echo38

I am no fan of the V-22, but I have a decent grasp of its weaknesses based on numerous conversations with a coworker who flew them for the last couple of years. Vortex ring state, for example, is not a design flaw. If you get into it, it's pilot error.

The vortex rings state is not an inherent property of the design, that I will agree, but the fact that the side by side rotor layout means that it can enter the state asymmetrically is, with the associated risk of entering an unrecoverable attitude from it.

And although you can say that getting into it is pilot error, and procedures are in place to avoid it, when the aircraft is close to these conditions it is possible to enter an asymmetric state through roll or yaw commands. From the Global security website:

"Such a situation can easily be envisioned in flight conditions that place a high workload demand on the pilots; e.g., night or low visibility, system malfunctions, hostile fire, etc., should a breakdown of crew coordination or loss of situational awareness occur. Thus, the first indication the pilot may receive that he has encountered this difficulty is when the aircraft initiates an uncommanded, uncontrollable roll. "

I've updated my previous post with a few significant additions. However, as of this moment, I've spent (wasted?) over an hour on this problem, and I don't feel like doing a research paper on the subject, for no significant gain, so: there's plenty out there to support (at least most of) my objections to the V-22 project's relatively low priority on personnel safety, particularly regarding the large "window" during normal operation where the aircraft is unable to safely deal with a complete lost of engine thrust. I've provided a few links, but I welcome you to examine the matter for yourself, and then decide whether you want to believe the USMC, Boeing, etc. or the whistleblowers when sources are in conflict. But even the invested parties admit that the bird isn't really able to autorotate.

Edited by Echo38