Ka-50 technology videos, 29 June 2006

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great vids......Congradulations to all involved!!!.....A quick question if I may,On the SU25T regarding the laser designator.....Is it the same as in the Ka-50?....If so,in the new video when the pilot engages ground targets useing the laser he seems to have an endless amount of time to do so......when I engage whith the SU25T the laser has to shut off after ...what maybe 5 min?.....How are the two different?....can't wait for release Thanks.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think if you search you'll find GG answered this question.

From memory it was something to the effect of - the guidance laser turns on & off automatically, for as long as the WCS calculates (from the range to target derived from the rangefinder) the flight of the weapon to be, plus a few seconds.

Cheers.

Download problem

When I click to download, I get "index.htm" in the download box instead of a file name and nothing downloads. I tried to register but it tells me that my user email already exists, so I click "forgot password" and enter my email address then it says "user with such email does not exist! I also tried right click for save target as but that is not an option.

Anybody know how to get around index.htm?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

system specs:

AMD 1100T X6, Asus Crosshair 4 Formula Mobo, 16 Gigs GSkill DDR3, XFX R9-290X 4GB 512-Bit, X-52 flight stick set, Samsung 2560x1440, Win7 64

When I click to download, I get "index.htm" in the download box instead of a file name and nothing downloads. I tried to register but it tells me that my user email already exists, so I click "forgot password" and enter my email address then it says "user with such email does not exist! I also tried right click for save target as but that is not an option.

Anybody know how to get around index.htm?

You can also download the videos over here.

Thanks Aldega. that seems to be working just fine. Anybody know why the index.htm thing comes up as the downloaing file on the other site?

I've noticed that happens on one or two other sites also. Just curious.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

system specs:

AMD 1100T X6, Asus Crosshair 4 Formula Mobo, 16 Gigs GSkill DDR3, XFX R9-290X 4GB 512-Bit, X-52 flight stick set, Samsung 2560x1440, Win7 64

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This has probably been asked before but is the cockpit in the Ka-50 tobe fully operational (every switch a la Falcon) ?:D

Yes, that's the plan.

And all future aircrafts from ED will be so detailed as well.

Have you seen these videos?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• 3 months later...

WOW!!!!!! No wonder BS is taking some time. ED breaks more new ground. The F4 startup is childs play in comparison, hehe. SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!

Here is a suggestion: give us three startup modes

1) Full Manual

2) One click

3) Auto start with voice over. Make it fast, but with all switches clicking and a sultry russian voice at each click...e.g. "vibrator now primed and ready"..."master arm on" etc. That way we would be learning at each mission....you know how ADD most of us are, but you could do the whole thing in about 3 mins.

But it is SO IMPRESSIVE!! I will have to build a new machine to do this work some justice.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

I have to tell you that on this movie some procedures were missing or incorrect. But I guess it's normal since this is an early alfa version.

1. No APU start and operation. Without it you can't start the main engines as it provides bled air for the engine starters. To start the APU you must open it's shut-off valve and press the start button if the boost fuel pupms are running. That you must operate it for 1 min in order to reach optimal oil and EGT.

2. Both engines simultaneous start. Absolutely impossible, for two reasons- the APD-78A automatic engine start control unit is one for both engines and controls the start valve only of the engine that has been selected(left-right two-positional selector), and second- the APU is not capable of supplying both engines with compressed air.

4. During engine start you must manulay open the engine's shut-off valve at engine RPM 15-20%. This valve is purely mechanical and it controled by lever similar to the engine control lever. Note: the shut-off valve the guy is opening is electrical valve that is in the fuselage and cuts the fuel from the engine nacelle in case of a fire. In russian these two valve are named "fire valve" and "stop valve". The guys correctly opens the "fire valve" before engine start but the "stop valve" operation was not modelled. It's important to have "stop valve" operation because this is how you normaly shut down the engine.

3. After both engines are at idle power you must operate the APU for another minute to cool it and you shut it down by pressing a button.

4. When at idle power(rotor RPM 65%, engine RPM 80%) the guy turns AC generators on. Not possible. You must have at least 85% rotor RPM in order to have them online. At lower RPM the frequency is so low that the generator's control units will not switch it on.

5. To increase power and rotor RPM he uses only the collective. Wrong. You must first move the engine control levers(located on the left side) from Idle to Auto which will speed up the rotor up to 90% and from that moment you increase or decrease rotor's thrust only by the collective. And when you have engines' lever in Auto position and collective at lowest position you can turn on generators and rectifiers and then start all the avionics systems up.

But anyway, I'm very optimistic from what I saw in this video. ED is on the right track. They just need more time to have everything done right.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I have to tell you that on this movie some procedures were missing or incorrect. But I guess it's normal since this is an early alfa version.

1. No APU start and operation. Without it you can't start the main engines as it provides bled air for the engine starters. To start the APU you must open it's shut-off valve and press the start button if the boost fuel pupms are running. That you must operate it for 1 min in order to reach optimal oil and EGT.

2. Both engines simultaneous start. Absolutely impossible, for two reasons- the APD-78A automatic engine start control unit is one for both engines and controls the start valve only of the engine that has been selected(left-right two-positional selector), and second- the APU is not capable of supplying both engines with compressed air.

4. During engine start you must manulay open the engine's shut-off valve at engine RPM 15-20%. This valve is purely mechanical and it controled by lever similar to the engine control lever. Note: the shut-off valve the guy is opening is electrical valve that is in the fuselage and cuts the fuel from the engine nacelle in case of a fire. In russian these two valve are named "fire valve" and "stop valve". The guys correctly opens the "fire valve" before engine start but the "stop valve" operation was not modelled. It's important to have "stop valve" operation because this is how you normaly shut down the engine.

3. After both engines are at idle power you must operate the APU for another minute to cool it and you shut it down by pressing a button.

4. When at idle power(rotor RPM 65%, engine RPM 80%) the guy turns AC generators on. Not possible. You must have at least 85% rotor RPM in order to have them online. At lower RPM the frequency is so low that the generator's control units will not switch it on.

5. To increase power and rotor RPM he uses only the collective. Wrong. You must first move the engine control levers(located on the left side) from Idle to Auto which will speed up the rotor up to 90% and from that moment you increase or decrease rotor's thrust only by the collective. And when you have engines' lever in Auto position and collective at lowest position you can turn on generators and rectifiers and then start all the avionics systems up.

But anyway, I'm very optimistic from what I saw in this video. ED is on the right track. They just need more time to have everything done right.

They are much further along than the Alpha video.

But, commonly, the generator is turned on before the start and abount 50% engine RPM it's working.

Which generator? Of the Ka-50? Not quiet. Before start you turn on only a starter-generator that cranks the engine and when engine is at idle power you can switch it from stater to generator mode. This is a common situation for smaller helicopters with DC starter-generators. Generaly speaking in order to have stable voltage(and frequency for AC generator) the genarator must rotate at constant RPM. The generators of the Ka-50 are gearbox driven, along with the hydraulic pumps which allow you to have both electrical and hydraulic power with both engines off in autorotation mode. You may switch the circuit braker to On position at any rotor RPM but if you are bellow 85% they won't become online.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I work as a leading engineer of Ka-32 helicopters in a private company. I know by heart the Ka-32, it's engines(the same as of the Ka-50), gearbox(also similar in some aspects) and systems which have many common things with the Hokum- hydraulic system and electrics are almost identical, the cockpit switches and gauges(concerning the powerplant and the aircraft systems) are all the same. The only thing I'm still not quiet aware of are the Ka-50's combat systems :D

=RvE=