DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Not directly Viggen Related.

But the up coming Free A-4E Mod just released Mod of its Air-Ground Radar features.

So sadly the Viggen will no longer be the first aircraft to show the air-ground radar capabilities =(.

Well depends what releases first. Hopefully my AJS-37 will tickle my christmas tree, but who knows... :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the AJS 37 might still be the first released module to have it.

But the A-4E showed it first =P.

Though it sadly does not really matter if one has worked on something for a long time and was the first to make it.

The first to display it to the public is usually the one who gets the credit =P not the one who discovered it first but only worked behind closed doors.

Does not really matter if one has worked on something for a long time and was the first to make it.

The first to display it to the public is usually the one who gets the credit =P.

Meh, would hardly agree with that. But hey, whatever makes you happy :smilewink:

On a second note, does anyone have any good info about BK-90? Kind of interested in how it`s employed. How do you designate it where you wish the bomb to glide and dispense? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, the radar is A-G, but does it actually have any A-G search functions (being capable of spotting vehicles), or is it primarily for mapping and the likes?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Primary duty for the AJS 37 radar when it comes for Air-Ground was Terrain Mapping and searching for ships.

It is not able to (reliably) see and find Small Ground targets (tanks etc)

ive heard mention that some pilots that were expert at reading the radar

could sometimes spot smaller objects like vehicles an Structures on it (depending on alot of factors like terrain,Backdrop and the angle between the aircraft and the target etc)

but it was not something it was designed to do or effective at.

One has to remember that its a radar developed in the 1960s (and entering service in 1970).

So it was very capable for its time but its lacking compared to more modern Air-Ground Radars.

But it works very well for the purposes it was designed for.

The radar also has Ranging modes (Both Air-Air and Air-Ground modes) as well as a very basic Air-Air Search mode (Basically the same type of scan as the Air-Ground Scan but pointed Forward/Upwards and it will pick up aircraft with a clear sky as backdrop).

Edited by mattebubben

The Primary duty for the AJS 37 radar when it comes for Air-Ground was Terrain Mapping and searching for ships.

It is not able to see and find Small Ground targets (tanks etc).

One has to remember that its a radar developed in the 1960s (and entering service in 1970).

So it was very capable for its time but its lacking compared to more modern Air-Ground Radars.

But it works very well for the purposes it was designed for.

The radar also has Ranging modes (Both Air-Air and Air-Ground modes) as well as a very basic Air-Air Search mode (Basically the same type of scan as the Air-Ground Scan but pointed Forward/Upwards and it will pick up aircraft with a clear sky as backdrop).

Ok, awesome, thx for info. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Meh, would hardly agree with that. But hey, whatever makes you happy :smilewink:

On a second note, does anyone have any good info about BK-90? Kind of interested in how it`s employed. How do you designate it where you wish the bomb to glide and dispense? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, the radar is A-G, but does it actually have any A-G search functions (being capable of spotting vehicles), or is it primarily for mapping and the likes?

Seems like you manually aim it at the target and set the dispensers to go of at an set altitude ?

Edited by shaggy

Intel Core i7-8700 3,20GHz - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 - 32Gb Ram - DCS on 500 GB SSD - Windows 10 - Thrusmaster Warthog - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - Track Ir 5 - Samsung Odyssey+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.virtualredarrows.com

Seems like you manually aim it at the target and set the dispensers to go of at an set altitude ?

Well its designed to be able to be F&F using GPS Coordinates to let it use its max effective range and maintain high accuracy.

But i dont know if you could easily designate targets for it in flight or if you had to insert GPS Coordinates

(either Inflight or if it was only possible on the ground)

Edited by mattebubben

Well the RB-15F can be either set up by giving it hard coordinates or designating spots on the ground with the radar and using the radar cursor for this. Not sure if the same applies for the BK-90 though.

@Cobra, are you willing to give a simple explanation of how one can designate for the BK-90?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well the RB-15F can be either set up by giving it hard coordinates or designating spots on the ground with the radar and using the radar cursor for this

!!!

I assumed the radar had no cursor. I imagine you could, after some experience, visually survey the area and figure out what it would look like on radar then put the cursor where the targets should be. But this violates the Viggen's 20 meter service ceiling.

Totally thought you'd have to use JTAC or the radar range scale to figure out an offset from your current position, then manually convert/enter the offset coordinates. Not to mention recalibrating the INS before dropping

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

!!!

I assumed the radar had no cursor. I imagine you could, after some experience, visually survey the area and figure out what it would look like on radar then put the cursor where the targets should be. But this violates the Viggen's 20 meter service ceiling.

Totally thought you'd have to use JTAC or the radar range scale to figure out an offset from your current position, then manually convert/enter the offset coordinates. Not to mention recalibrating the INS before dropping

You don`t recalibrate INS, you update it. And yes, there is a mention of a radar cursor.

Stick to facts, guessing doesn`t get you anywhere. Which is why the question to LN in the first place. Since BK-90 has a possibility to receive coordinates, it also means that without a GPS it also has a chance to drift. Yet another unknown.

EDIT:

RagnarDa info: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170263

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

You can designate targets with the Bk90 in the Viggen in three ways:

1. Preloaded or in-flight inputted coordinates.

2. Radar cursor while radar is in active, passive or "snapshot"-mode

3. Overflying the target and marking it

You can't use the HUD unfortunately.

Edit: Neither Bk90 nor Viggen itself has GPS but Bk90 has INS which guides it to the coordinates relative to the launching aircrafts own indicated position. So any error in the indicated own position in the airplane will transfer to the glidebomb.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Edit: Neither Bk90 nor Viggen itself has GPS but Bk90 has INS which guides it to the coordinates relative to the launching aircrafts own indicated position. So any error in the indicated own position in the airplane will transfer to the glidebomb.

Golden, thx for chiming in :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks on the Update Ragnar.

Just another question.

Will you include multiple BK 90s for the different Submunition Options?.

(One Using MJ1s and one Using MJ2s for example)

Since i very much hope we get Both Submunition Options as they are very different in their performance / effect.

(The MJ1 Submunition is a 4Kg Air-Bursting Submunition for use against Soft targets where as the MJ2 Submunition is a 18Kg Anti-Tank Submunition)

Though it sadly does not really matter if one has worked on something for a long time and was the first to make it.

The first to display it to the public is usually the one who gets the credit =P not the one who discovered it first but only worked behind closed doors.

Well, if that's the criteria, ED's F/A-18 won by a long stretch:

attachment.php?attachmentid=117059&d=1430413118

Source 04-30-2015: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2386306&postcount=1

But I guess they "won" so long time ago, that nobody remembers it anymore.. :D :D

Let me just say, I prefer to wait and see a module which is actually released with a functioning A-G radar. ;) :)

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Will you include multiple BK 90s for the different Submunition Options?.

(One Using MJ1s and one Using MJ2s for example)

(The MJ1 Submunition is a 4Kg Air-Bursting Submunition for use against Soft targets where as the MJ2 Submunition is a 18Kg Anti-Tank Submunition)

I did one MJ1-only mix, one MJ2-only mix and one 50/50 of either.

Thanks for all this info.

Sounds more and more interesting this module. :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Well, if that's the criteria, ED's F/A-18 won by a long stretch:

attachment.php?attachmentid=117059&d=1430413118

Source 04-30-2015: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2386306&postcount=1

But I guess they "won" so long time ago, that nobody remembers it anymore.. :D :D

Let me just say, I prefer to wait and see a module which is actually released with a functioning A-G radar. ;) :)

Yes i know about that Picture.

But a Video is allot different then a picture as it directly shows it working in game where as a picture (that is not even a part of a cockpit) does not tell people as much.

But either way its a Race right now between the A-4E the AJS 37 and the F/A-18C on who gets to the public first.

My hope is for the AJS 37.

@RagnarDa, got some more questions:

- Based on what you once wrote about RB-15F, can one assume that RB-15F can be used like a long range A-G missile? Thinking here of how you can setup the waypoints for the missile. In short, can I give the missile coordinates to impact ground on a specific place I wish it to?

- As far as I gather, RB-75 (Maverick A derivative) was the only one used on Viggen. But due to display resolution limitations, you implemented the B version maverick version as it should fit and work just as the A does. My question is if the also included Maverick T version is IRL a possibility, or if you would need to modify the pylons/wiring.

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@RagnarDa, got some more questions:

- Based on what you once wrote about RB-15F, can one assume that RB-15F can be used like a long range A-G missile? Thinking here of how you can setup the waypoints for the missile. In short, can I give the missile coordinates to impact ground on a specific place I wish it to?

- As far as I gather, RB-75 (Maverick A derivative) was the only one used on Viggen. But due to display resolution limitations, you implemented the B version maverick version as it should fit and work just as the A does. My question is if the also included Maverick T version is IRL a possibility, or if you would need to modify the pylons/wiring.

The RBS 15F carried by the Viggen has no Air-Ground Functionality,

And you dont give it a impact point for Anti-ship work you tell it to fly to an area and search for targets using its oboard seeker once it gets to a certain spot.

The Latest RBS 15 variants the RBS 15 MK III (for Land/Ship based) and RBS-15F ER have Land attack Capabilities but im not sure how they work and im 100% sure that that capability is not present for the RBS 15F we are getting for the AJS 37.

And could you please clarify your Question about the Maverick =P.

By Maverick T do you mean the RB 75T

(with AGM-65 Seeker / Body but with a heavy 140Kg penetrating blast-fragmentation warhead much like some later US AGM 65 Variants).

And if that is the case then the RB 75T was fully used on the AJ and AJS 37 Viggen =P

(Side by side with the Normal RB 75)

and i doubt it would need any modifications to be used as it use the same seeker and guidance units etc as the AGM 65A/RB 75 did.

The RB 75T with its heavy warhead was to be used against Bunkers,Bridges landing craft and in general tougher targets where the heavier penetrating warhead was needed.

With the Normal RB 75 (AGM 65A) with its Shaped Charge warhead being used against vehicles etc.

Edited by mattebubben

I did one MJ1-only mix, one MJ2-only mix and one 50/50 of either.

Glorious.

MJ2 is self targeting like the skeets right ?

At least the swedish wiki article and the ginormous weight for a submunition indicates that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?