DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

It's MCLOS, not SACLOS.

Unlike the HOT & TOW you don't just look at the target and have the missile steer itself towards whatever you aim at. The Rb 05 is more like the Bullpup, the pilot steers it directly with a little controller transmitting left-right-up-down commands to the missile via radio.

Ah okay makes sense.

November 28 1967, a patent for 'Stol aircraft having by-pass turbojet engines' was filed, from Eilef Riied, Linkoping, Sweden, assignor to SAAB Aktiebolag, Linlroping, Sweden, a corporation of Sweden.

https://www.google.ch/patents/US3478988

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

It is often cited the Viggen can operate from a 500m airstrip.

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned the reverser can be used with afterburner in an emergency.

I wonder just how short we can make the landing roll if we really try ;)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned the reverser can be used with afterburner in an emergency.

I wonder just how short we can make the landing roll if we really try wink.gif

I'm not sure if you can actually do that, though. The AJS 37 SFI does say that "using the AB while reversing causes heat damage to the aircraft" but the JA 37 SFI simply says reversing is only possible up to MIL power. IIRC from talking to a former Viggen mechanic I think there's supposed to be a safety interlock somewhere but I can't find it in the SFI's. Reversing does muck around with the afterburner fuel control unit so there could easily be a lockout there.

AMTh52J.jpg

I wonder just how short we can make the landing roll if we really try ;)

I don't know if this is true or not, but many years ago I was told that around 30% of thrust was used for breaking. Even though the doors for the reverser is made of titanium I doubt they can withstand 11800 kp of thrust. The vibrations would be severe, and then there's the heat. Cracks in the aft fuselage titanium parts were not uncommon, AFAIK. :)

May i ask a general question for non swedes.

What makes you guys the most interested / excited about this AJS-37 Module?

Since its obvious for most swedes why we want it and love it but there are so many none swedes looking forward to it im curious what in particular makes you guys interesting in this aircraft.

A bit old post, but as I just spent few last weeks reading this rather long and interesting thread (with a lot of dedicated enthusiasm, excellent documentation and love from the Viggen fans) in its entirety. Considering the attention to details with the MiG-21bis module, I can't but to jump the hype train. Especially after that beautiful teaser that was just released.

The plane itself seems very interesting. Very different from anything else in DCS at the moment, in both technology and tactics and deployment, and for me it is a big plus :) Can't wait to figure her and her systems and weapons out.

And in the end, as a Finn I might be grouped together with the Swedes anyway by people looking from the other side of Pacific or from where I'm currently located. For you here're two short videos demonstrating the difference:

Finns according to the Swedish:

Javla svenskarna according to the Finns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0iH6jke01k

(I have nothing but love for my neighbours :D )

Men jag har glomt nastan alla min svenska... (let's see how many errors I could fit into that one simple sentence :P )

Edited by PitbullVicious

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

善く戦う者は、まず勝つべからざるを為して、以て敵の勝つべきを待つ。

Despite the often heard "Its ugly" I have to say that in my eyes this is one sexy looking bird.

Saab-Viggen-Takeoff.jpg

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Despite the often heard "Its ugly" I have to say that in my eyes this is one sexy looking bird.

As a Swede and a Viggen lover i here by nominate you a honorary Swede.

Anybody who sees the beauty of the Viggen (The Sexiest bird ever to float in the sky in my opinion ^^) is worthy to be a honorary Swede ^^.

So what exactly does this imply for its usage? Do you mean it's not sensorfused?

Both MJ1 and MJ2 have a pulse-doppler radar altimeter that acts as a proximity fuze and detonates the submunition at a certain altitude. As a backup there is also a contact fuze that detonates on hitting the ground, an a timer-based autodestruction one to avoid UXO.

The description implies (but does not state outright) that the MJ2 forms more than one EFP, which isn't all that weird to think considering that it weighs 17 kg. Looking at the cutaway picture of it, I wonder if the weird jaggy edges of the cut are supposed to represent the parts of the steel shell that forms the EFP's. Just speculating, though.

IeZ5X8a.jpg

Both MJ1 and MJ2 are equipped with parachutes, by the way.

So what exactly does this imply for its usage? Do you mean it's not sensorfused?

(Edit: Saw that renhanxue just answered this while I wrote my post.)

Good question that I'm also curious about.

According to the Bk 90 document posted a few pages back the MJ2 submunition seems to use EFP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator) warhead(s). Given the ~18 kg warhead weight, is it likely that each MJ2 submunition releases several EFPs distributed over the space below or is there only one EFP per submunition?

24 unguided MJ2s evenly distributed over a 250x400 meter area from a single Bk 90 dispenser would yield approx. 1 MJ2 per every 4166 m2. Given that a typical APC has an approximate top-facing surface area of let's say 20 m2, the chance to actually hit a single APC within that 250x400 area with one of 24 unguided MJ2 is ... 1/208 or roughly 0.5%.

Of course, the chance to hit something increases with the number of targets present in the targeted area.

Anyway - could the crude calculation above indicate that each MJ2 might yield multiple EFPs? If (for example) each MJ2 would yield 16 EFPs in an downward cone the hit probability would increase accordingly.

Or are we somehow are missing some crucial part regarding submunition guidance that could have been deliberately left out from that Bk 90 document?

Just wondering - and really looking forward to the AJS-37!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As a Swede and a Viggen lover i here by nominate you a honorary Swede.

Anybody who sees the beauty of the Viggen (The Sexiest bird ever to float in the sky in my opinion ^^) is worthy to be a honorary Swede ^^.

tastes are always debatable, but you have to be very Swede to find it the "sexiest bird ever" :D

Your reply was better though :)

In other news, an email came in:

2016-10-21

Hej!

TAA 1982 är under granskning, men har inte hunnits med ännu, så du får vänta lite till på den. Flera andra äldre taktiska anvisningar är emellertid avhemligade och kommer in i bibliotekskatalogen inom kort.

Jag meddelar dig som vanligt när publikationen är färdig att läsas.

Med vänlig hälsning

<name redacted>

Krigsarkivet

Box 12541

102 29 Stockholm

Besöksadress: Banérgatan 64

Tel: 010-476 70 00 Fax: 010-476 75 20

Webb: riksarkivet.se/krigsarkivet

tastes are always debatable, but you have to be very Swede to find it the "sexiest bird ever" :D

The Viggen is my baby and its beautiful.

All other Babies are ugly.

But mine is Beautiful ^^.

Yes the Lines of the Viggen are not the most beautiful.

But if you have ever seen it in action you have to agree that in its entirety its sexy,

the lines it has together with the pure brutal power it exudes makes it sexy.

But when it comes to aircraft looks everybody has their own tastes.

For example i cant understand those that find the Blackburn Buccaneer or Panavia tornado good looking / sexy just like others cant understand my feelings on the Viggen.

Hell i dont even find the F-16 good looking (and i know im in a minority on that ^^).

But for me the Viggen is a beauty (Especially with the Right Paintscheme and from the right angles).

Im just saddened that the only viggen flying was left in the Metal/Silver finish instead of painting it in the Green Camo that it belongs in ^^.

Edited by mattebubben

The Viggen is my baby and its beautiful.

All other Babies are ugly.

But mine is Beautiful ^^.

Yes the Lines of the Viggen are not the most beautiful.

But if you have ever seen it in action you have to agree that in its entirety its sexy,

the lines it has together with the pure brutal power it exudes makes it sexy.

But when it comes to aircraft looks everybody has their own tastes.

For example i cant understand those that find the Blackburn Buccaneer or Panavia tornado good looking / sexy just like others cant understand my feelings on the Viggen.

Hell i dont even find the F-16 good looking (and i know im in a minority on that ^^).

But for me the Viggen is a beauty (Especially with the Right Paintscheme and from the right angles).

Im just saddened that the only viggen flying was left in the Metal/Silver finish instead of painting it in the Green Camo that it belongs in ^^.

agreed :D

Good question that I'm also curious about.

According to the Bk 90 document posted a few pages back the MJ2 submunition seems to use EFP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator) warhead(s). Given the ~18 kg warhead weight, is it likely that each MJ2 submunition releases several EFPs distributed over the space below or is there only one EFP per submunition?

24 unguided MJ2s evenly distributed over a 250x400 meter area from a single Bk 90 dispenser would yield approx. 1 MJ2 per every 4166 m2. Given that a typical APC has an approximate top-facing surface area of let's say 20 m2, the chance to actually hit a single APC within that 250x400 area with one of 24 unguided MJ2 is ... 1/208 or roughly 0.5%.

Of course, the chance to hit something increases with the number of targets present in the targeted area.

Anyway - could the crude calculation above indicate that each MJ2 might yield multiple EFPs? If (for example) each MJ2 would yield 16 EFPs in an downward cone the hit probability would increase accordingly.

Or are we somehow are missing some crucial part regarding submunition guidance that could have been deliberately left out from that Bk 90 document?

Just wondering - and really looking forward to the AJS-37!

Yeah this is what I was thinking as well, it would seem the amount of submunitions is really low for the amount of area each container is supposed to cover. The chance of a direct hit against something as small as a vehicle would be remote.

If each submunition works with multiple EFPs shooting out horizontally in all directions though, that would certainly cover more ground. The proxy fuse would detonate at something like a meter of altitude, and then should have a decent chance of striking a vehicle nearby depending on the amount/range of the EFPs.

Certainly not as effective as a top hit, but probably useful against any think skinned vehicle.

The Viper itself ist not the prettiest, thats true. But what I like is the Israeli Viper with the CFTs attached. They just give the little thing more "muscles" IMO.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Both MJ1 and MJ2 have a pulse-doppler radar altimeter that acts as a proximity fuze and detonates the submunition at a certain altitude. As a backup there is also a contact fuze that detonates on hitting the ground, an a timer-based autodestruction one to avoid UXO.

The description implies (but does not state outright) that the MJ2 forms more than one EFP, which isn't all that weird to think considering that it weighs 17 kg. Looking at the cutaway picture of it, I wonder if the weird jaggy edges of the cut are supposed to represent the parts of the steel shell that forms the EFP's. Just speculating, though.

IeZ5X8a.jpg

Both MJ1 and MJ2 are equipped with parachutes, by the way.

I think you are right, I think it is the walls of the MJ2 that forms multiple EFPs when it is detonated.

When you study the picture, the walls have a sort of honeycomb pattern that forms multiple conical shapes.

The question is then, how many EFPs does it yield, what kind of dispersal pattern does it have and at which altitude is it detonated.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I found some more description on the MJ 1 and 2 on this page (Swedish):

http://robotmuseum.se/Mappar/Robothistorik/13_Bombk/ARM_bk.htm

It has the following description:

Stridsdelar

Substridsdelarna var av två typer: MUSJAS 1 och MUSJAS 2.

MUSJAS 1 bestod av fallskärm, tändrör och 1,4 kg sprängämne omgärdat av en mantel med ca 2 000 tungmetallkulor. Vikten var 3,7 kg. Sexton utskjutningsrör var laddade med vardera tre MUSJAS 1. Denna stridsdel var optimerad för verkan över stora ytor mot icke splitterskyddade mål.

MUSJAS 2 bestod av fallskärm, tändrör identisk med MUSJAS 1 och med en stålmantel som preparerats att bilda splitter genom den s.k. EFP-principen (Explosively Formed Projectile). Sprängämnesvikt ca 6,0 kg. Stridsdelen är tre gånger så lång som MUSJAS 1 och fyllde vardera ett utskjutningsrör. 8 av utskjutningsrören var laddade med MUSJAS 2 vilket möjliggjorde bekämpning av splitterskyddade mål med samma kapsel som icke splitterskyddade mål.

In short, the MJ 1 had 1.4 kg explosives, surrounded with 2000 heavy metal balls. Total weight 3.7 kg.

Optimized for covering large areas against soft targets.

The MJ 2 had a steel casing shaped to produce multiple EFPs.

6 kg of explosives.

Made to cover same areas as the MJ 1, but against semi-hardened targets.

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I think you are right, I think it is the walls of the MJ2 that forms multiple EFPs when it is detonated.

When you study the picture, the walls have a sort of honeycomb pattern that forms multiple conical shapes.

The question is then, how many EFPs does it yield, what kind of dispersal pattern does it have and at which altitude is it detonated.

You are correct.

See images on page 24 of this document: http://www.unog.ch/80256EDD006B8954/(httpAssets)/73BAC38BBEA45AEFC1257B3B0039008D/$file/Sweden+Initial+Report+2013.pdf

Definitely honeycomb. Should be relatively easy to approximate the number of EFPs per submunition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are correct.

See images on page 24 of this document: http://www.unog.ch/80256EDD006B8954/(httpAssets)/73BAC38BBEA45AEFC1257B3B0039008D/$file/Sweden+Initial+Report+2013.pdf

Definitely honeycomb. Should be relatively easy to approximate the number of EFPs per submunition.

Perfect, very clear pictures.

MUS%20JAS%201.jpg?dl=1

MUS%20JAS%202.jpg?dl=1

The question is then just about dispersal pattern.

System specs:

We know its calibre, its 132mm, if we had the length we could calculate the number of EFPs reasonably accurate, since the indentations in the mantel are pretty surely the forming parts.

The perimeter length should be something like 40cm.

The submunition length both by wild guestimates of the explosives density and mantel density and rough guessing relative to the calibre should be something like 40cm.

So I guess its 6 rows of 6 EFPs, which also matches up with the cutthroguh pretty well.

For the effective range I am going to throw guestimates at you all again.

The MUSA/MUSPA submunition has an effective range of 100m in terms of anti personel fragments. Since EFPs are nothing else then just shaped fragments which gives them better aerodynamics then your average anti personel shrapnel. So I dunno, I would say 100m as well. obviously beeing a kinetic weapon it looses penetration over distance.

EDIT: got sniped with the pics, will readjusts the calcs. standbye :D

Edit2: My length estimation was spot on, be proud of me ! :D

Will throw togeter a graphic quickly to estimate what hit probability looks like.

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?