Warthog is worth it

Just broke down and bought a Warthog HOTAS for Christmas, and I have to say that it's worth every penny. DCS is a completely different simulator with this flight stick.

I was going to get the X55 but I saw a deal on Amazon for just 100 bucks more for the Warthog, so I got it. At first I had a bit of buyer's remorse due to spending so much money (I got it on sale, however...320 euros, shipping included), but now that I've put it through its paces, it's a godsend. The sensitivity in the stick is perfect; it feels like a part of my body, like an extra appendage.

I highly recommend this flight stick, even if it doesn't have as many buttons as the X55 and no radials. It's completely worth it. Completely.

Great selection, and welcome to the club! you'll love it! :thumbup::joystick:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

It's another $100 on top of what you've already spent, but if you extend it 10cm or so (simpit sells 8cm to 15cm extensions) you'll love it even more, especially if you fly the WWII birds.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

It's another $100 on top of what you've already spent, but if you extend it 10cm or so (simpit sells 8cm to 15cm extensions) you'll love it even more, especially if you fly the WWII birds.

... and or helicopters.

Yes, an extension is the best thing you can do for your Warthog.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I highly recommend this flight stick, even if it doesn't have as many buttons as the X55 and no radials. It's completely worth it. Completely.

As someone in a similar situation, I have to say you may really miss the radials. I feel that they might be better for radar control. I am adjusting to their absence though.

I would recommend this too. I don't like adding curves to my inputs. My current set up doesn't let me bolt down my stick and it can cause some problems when I need to make really fine adjustments.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

To extent or not depends on where the stick is situated, too. Mine is simply sitting on the desktop and is a little bit too high even without an extension.

if you fly F-16 style, exactly. Could be an issue too.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Just broke down and bought a Warthog HOTAS for Christmas, and I have to say that it's worth every penny. DCS is a completely different simulator with this flight stick.

:thumbup:

Congrats!

I have been using mine for a number of years now and fully agree, I love it as much as the day I got it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have a 7.5 cm extension and highly recommend it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I've got a WH coming, but until about an hour ago, it really didn't register that there were no radials.

So if anyone had used a stick with radials, how did you adjust to not having them.

I've not needed radials so much in DCS, but in P3D that will be a different story. I use them for prop pitch and fuel mixture.

How do you manage those adjustments with WH?

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig

I've got a WH coming, but until about an hour ago, it really didn't register that there were no radials.

So if anyone had used a stick with radials, how did you adjust to not having them.

I've not needed radials so much in DCS, but in P3D that will be a different story. I use them for prop pitch and fuel mixture.

How do you manage those adjustments with WH?

In XPlane, I mapped prop pitch, mixture control to my WH joystick TMS, DMS buttons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Also can use the second throttle as well, I have used the gray slider lever and the second throttle for this in WWII planes.

Some guys that really want more sliders will also add the CH Throttle Quadrant as well.

http://www.chproducts.com/Throttle-Quadrant-v13-d-718.html

I have one, but personally have found I really do not need it that much and rarely use it anymore.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So, I'm assuming that "buttons" configured as prop and mixture adjustment can be refined in for precision. (?)

I'm sure that if a person can manage to coax an old German warplane off the runway, surely finding a new way to utilize buttons for prop and fuel mixture should be do-able.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

There is one more thing that people rarely take into account. Very expensive controllers, like WH or MFG rudders can be treated pretty much as a temporary cash freeze, not money spent never to be recovered. What I mean by that is that these things can be still sold after years of usage for the price very close to the price of a new one.

Used TM Cougars go for even more than a new WH and used Warthogs sell for a price just slightly lower than new ones. I can bet that years from now you will still be able to sell used stuff like MFG Crosswinds for a really nice price since this stuff is close to indestructible. Not so with cheaper, plastic joysticks but they can still get a decent price too.

Anyway, I treat this is as a sort of investment into my hobby but I'm also pretty sure that if I ever want to sell it I'll be able to and for a good price. So you not only have a lot of fun with better gear but it's also money that is not totally lost and does not lose value like for example cars do.

Edited by Endy

So, I'm assuming that "buttons" configured as prop and mixture adjustment can be refined in for precision. (?)

I'm sure that if a person can manage to coax an old German warplane off the runway, surely finding a new way to utilize buttons for prop and fuel mixture should be do-able.

In German planes represented in DCS, propeller pitch is controlled be rocker push buttons in throttle knob and not be lever, and mixture adjust is not done manually.

RPM.jpg

From practical point of view the HAT on right side of Warthog throttle is well suitable for control Bf 109/Fw 190 Propeller Pitch in similar way as in real planes. :joystick:

In German planes represented in DCS, propeller pitch is controlled be rocker push buttons in throttle knob and not be lever, and mixture adjust is not done manually.

RPM.jpg

From practical point of view the HAT on right side of Warthog throttle is well suitable for control Bf 109/Fw 190 Propeller Pitch in similar way as in real planes. :joystick:

Thanks for that tip, will gladly use it.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram