Hard hard time taking off woth fiftyone

VrValor

Really. I don't have rudder pedals. I set trim to 5y degree. I can't take off no matter what, in the ww2 server i tried so hard for more than 25 times with great patience. I even mapped the slew on the rudder setting the slightest and softer curve. No way. For taxi I use the keyboard. No cash for pedals.

Question is: are there other guys with no rudders taking off with no aids the P51? Thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Spirit is important: let him fly in the blue sky!

Can you not set something on your joystick to act as rudder?

I have an x52 which twists for the rudder but it also has 2 rotaries on the throttle, I have in the Mi8 and Huey set one of the rotaries to act as rudder so I can twist the dial and leave it where I want.

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

Are you locking the tail wheel during take off? That is the most important. I don't even use any trim on rudder anymore. And I have a twist on the joystick. I don't have peddals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Really. I don't have rudder pedals. I set trim to 5y degree. I can't take off no matter what, in the ww2 server i tried so hard for more than 25 times with great patience. I even mapped the slew on the rudder setting the slightest and softer curve. No way. For taxi I use the keyboard. No cash for pedals.

Question is: are there other guys with no rudders taking off with no aids the P51? Thanks

Wow....usually the twist on your joystick can be assigned to the rudder. I thought that this was a default setting for most joysticks. In fact, I have to disable it to effectively use my rudder setup. If this is not the case, as the first poster suggested, then the second poster's suggestion is the next best bet. Pull the joystick back to your belly for take off to lock the tail wheel and do your best with the keys. You have to release the joystick to go forward as you gain speed and the plane starts to lift or you'll mess up the take off. I am pretty sure that I have taken off in the Mustang countless times without a rudder peddle setup so I know that it can be done quite easily.

I could not imagine trying to get a 109, or 190 off the ground without pedals.

Be sure you have turned off take off assist in the options, miscellaneous. I used to fly mustang no problems with a twist stick, it actually took me quite a while to get used to pedals after 10 years of flight simming with a twist.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I used to use a Logiteck Extreme Pro to fly and had the rudder assigned to the joystick twist. It's not terribly pilot-friendly, because the stick in general is so fidgety, but it worked to the greatest extent.

I think you need to describe a bit more in detail what exactly is happening while taking off.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I don't have a twist stick i have a hotas warthog. I don't lock tailwheel!! Could be this?

I move throttle up, the plane turn left or right if i set more than 5 degre trim. This is the moment i move slightly the rudder i have set on the slew of the throttle. Then crash no matter what.

Spirit is important: let him fly in the blue sky!

always lock tail wheel by pulling the stick towards you. as speed increases above 60mph put the stick to neutral and plane shoul lift off from 3 point. no flaps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I don't have a twist stick i have a hotas warthog. I don't lock tailwheel!! Could be this?

I move throttle up, the plane turn left or right if i set more than 5 degre trim. This is the moment i move slightly the rudder i have set on the slew of the throttle. Then crash no matter what.

I think you need something to better control your rudder.

Rudder control is crucial on any high powered propeller aircraft.

Some people have used the slider to the right on the Warthog throttle for rudder control.

Maybe you could try that?

I couldn't imagine taking off with either a twist rudder joystick, or rudder pedals..

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I just set manifold pressure to 30lbs til speed is up than slowly increase to 40 or so all the while applying a lil right rudder to compensate(without) locking the tail wheel. Thats probably not the correct way but is how i got accostumbed to t/o. yes 109-190 differnt story. practice practice practice, gl :D dunno if this will work maybe set (L) arrow/R arrow keys as backup rudder just a thought. Also don't forget 2700rpms (once airborne) or engine will go boom and it'll be all for not once you do get airborne.

Edited by Call911

Rudder control is one of those things in the old planes, and those things are usually the difference between out-stalling an aircraft to live, or doing it to get the kill. Also, to get in that situation, you kinda need to takeoff, so you need something as your anti-torque, heh. You probably get the point by now; while I'm sure it's perfectly plausible to "trim" your rudder for takeoff in some way, it's a competitive control surface for an aircraft of the era.

You don't lock the wheel, because it P-51 it cannot be locked per se (like in German planes), it works only in two modes - semi-locked but steerable +/- 6 degrees (stick between center and aft position), or unlocked, full-castoring (stick pushed to the front).

5 degree trim is enough to have almost rudder-free take-off as long as You use reduced manifold pressure (up to 50") and throttle up smoothly and slowly. Only a little bit of right rudder is necessary.

No matter what prop plane You fly, rudder inputs on take-off and landing should be small and brief - You don't hold it, You tap it ("dancing on the rudder"). And this is where Your problem is I presume. From Your description, You're just overcompensating, and it's not surprising, given the fact how imprecise the slew button is (I also have the Warthog). Damn, I use hat switch on the throttle to operate brakes and it's extremely clumsy, just barely useful, I can't imagine using it, or the slew button for rudder control.

If You can't afford proper rudder pedals, how about buying some second hand racing wheel instead? I use Logitech G25 pedals for rudder, and although that's not a perfect solution, it's still miles ahead of any twist stick, slider, keyboard, whatever... Gives me quite good rudder control for all modules I own, including Mi-8.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The Logitech G-13 GamePad is a small, left-hand side pad, a bit larger than a number pad with a palm rest. It has an analog stick operated by the left thumb. I set it up to control my rudders, and it works very well. There is not dead zone at all in that stick - just marvelous. I decided to forego the rudder pedal purchase because with this, I have no need of it. Besides, my legs get uncomfortable in that position, and I need to move them often to prevent cramps.

I love the G-13. dOoOm from Dogs of War suggested it.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

Here's a track I've just recorded in latest version of 1.5.2, taking off in P-51D, only using z/x keys for rudder, even without +5 trim.

If it does play correctly on Your PC, then fine, if not, You will at least see the general concept of rudder application (I activated Ctrl-Enter input monitor). The key is to observe the horizon and/or slip indicator "ball", react as fast as possible and use short taps of both keys to keep the plane running more or less straight.

rudder.trk

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I think i need rudders.

You need rudder pedals. Without them you're missing the fun of flying.

I don't want to sound like I'm advertising, but I have a set of Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals I got off ebay. I got them practically new and only used them for a few weeks until I got my Slaw Device pedals, so they're still practically new. I'd be willing to sell them for what I paid. PM me if you're interested.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

IIRC the 5-6 degree rudder trim isn't for taking off, it's for the power reduction @ 46" and 2700 RPM after the takeoff.

So OP you still need to use your rudder somehow during the takeoff roll. I'd highly recommend getting some rudder pedals. They are essential for WWII planes, and they are extremely useful in modern aircraft as well.

The Logitech G-13 GamePad is a small, left-hand side pad, a bit larger than a number pad with a palm rest. It has an analog stick operated by the left thumb. I set it up to control my rudders, and it works very well. There is not dead zone at all in that stick - just marvelous. I decided to forego the rudder pedal purchase because with this, I have no need of it. Besides, my legs get uncomfortable in that position, and I need to move them often to prevent cramps.

I love the G-13. dOoOm from Dogs of War suggested it.

The G-13 is about the best game controller ever made. And here's another great use for one! :thumbup:

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Pull the stick all the way back to lock your tail wheel , slowly advance throttle to 45-50 manifold and let your stick back to center when you reach 100 mph.

Also make sure you at least have buttons to control rudder and breaks. Pedals help but aren't absolutely necessary. I have been able to take off using keyboard and mouse so you should be fine without pedals.

The p51 Is easy to take off but you have to be methodical about following the right steps.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Save yourself the trouble and don't even try to fly the prop fighters without rudders. It's more of a frustration than fulfillment. Just get a set of pedals, it's ESSENTIAL. The buttons won't work. Even if you get airborne, you have to work the pedals during flight so much that you will get mad very quickly.

In short. Get pedals. Period.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Get the best your pocketbook will permit. Even the cheapest out there, although sometime troublesome, are far better than no pedals at all. I think once you have come to appreciate how much they contribute to the overall "immersion" factor, you will eventually move up to even better ones. The reality is that most of us started the very same way you have. Adding a little more/better hardware whenever you could afford it.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

All that being said, a twist stick isn't terrible. It's mainly up to how many axes you are comfortable controlling in one hand. I just got pedals myself, and it's not too much different on the broad strokes. I'd imagine it's more to do with axis separation and precision (less chance of mixing axes by accident as well).