252 members have voted

1. 1. Improved FLIR Simulation

• Yes, targets are very hard to find against the terrain
    • No, keep it as is.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCS is amazing and I love to fly the A-10C and SU-25T, but they screwed up on the flir this last updates, almost impossible to find targets with the tgp at night, especially with winter textures. Hope this gets fixed. I would like to see also night vision goggles available in all aircrafts.

i Found setting tgp to 8G for gain and 7 on the LVL and looks much better for me, works good on stock textures but really works well with Bartheks ground textures

That's precisely why those controls were provided. :)

However: If any of you (apart from .mil who are already there) get the opportunity to play with either near, middle or far infrared cameras, I suggest you snap it up. Things look very, very different in the IR field.

UltraMFCD 3.0 in the works.

https://ultramfcd.com

• 2 weeks later...
Ya in real world have quite a bit experience with these sort of things and its always a fiddle with the gain settings to get a somewhat functional picture and tgt lock. speaking from non aircraft stuff

I tried a lot of fiddling with gain... didn't help all that much. Hopefully ED resolves it soon or makes it look like it did in 1.2.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

ED please fix this issue ASAP! A10C is totally unplayable under this condition.

+1 :mad: ..... I have suffer spotting targets when playing A-10C The Enemy Within Campaign .A-10C it's really unplayable with current FLIR ..... ED pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase FIX it .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

C'mon guys..it's not *that* difficult, is it?

I've only just begun to get serious hours in the A-10C's pit and FLIR isn't a headache. I didn't fly the A-10 in 1.2, so I guess I wasn't spoiled by bad graphic representations.

Edited by BIGNEWY
Pic removed - inflammatory
  • Like 2

I don't always openly list my things. But when I do, I put it in my signature.

C'mon guys..it's not *that* difficult, is it?

I've only just begun to get serious hours in the A-10C's pit and FLIR isn't a headache. I didn't fly the A-10 in 1.2, so I guess I wasn't spoiled by bad graphic representations.

Have you looked at the screenshots where they are nearly invisible? You are new to the A-10 apparently so you have nothing to compare the old to the new, yet here you are acting as if you were an expert on the subject? :lol:

And putting a huge facepalm screenshot was not needed and just inflammatory.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Have you looked at the screenshots where they are nearly invisible? You are new to the A-10 apparently so you have nothing to compare the old to the new, yet here you are acting as if you were an expert on the subject? :lol:

And putting a huge facepalm screenshot was not needed and just inflammatory.

Heh yeah, I have to agree the huge picture was inflammatory. But yes I have experience with FLIR... You're lucky to get it as good as it is, trust me.

Heh yeah, I have to agree the huge picture was inflammatory. But yes I have experience with FLIR... You're lucky to get it as good as it is, trust me.

That's not entirely correct. Depends on what generation and so forth the current bug is a bug and need to be fixed. Where as before it was a decent simulation in 1.2 now the terrain masks the tgts to much and I know just alittle about this sort of stuff.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

That's not entirely correct. Depends on what generation and so forth the current bug is a bug and need to be fixed. Where as before it was a decent simulation in 1.2 now the terrain masks the tgts to much and I know just alittle about this sort of stuff.

I don't believe it's a bug. Sure, it isn't the best FLIR simulation but it's close enough to what I've had to work with that I don't have a problem with it.

Contrast creates visibility. A standing vehicle that's just running off its' battery packs only cools down to a temperature close to that of the adjacent terrain. I've seen the 1.2 screenshots, and if nothing else the contrast is that the vehicle is sharp and the land textures are blurry. DCS 1.5 added better texture filtering among other things, so your texture-based contrast is peanut butter, now.

The amount of heat radiated depends on how long the object has been moving, what they're moving over (friction generates heat) and also the temperature of the surrounding area. Also knowing which areas of the model are actually radiating heat (ala SAM Radar) is important to know if you are to simulate the experience accurately.

I don't believe it's a bug. Sure, it isn't the best FLIR simulation but it's close enough to what I've had to work with that I don't have a problem with it.

Contrast creates visibility. A standing vehicle that's just running off its' battery packs only cools down to a temperature close to that of the adjacent terrain. I've seen the 1.2 screenshots, and if nothing else the contrast is that the vehicle is sharp and the land textures are blurry. DCS 1.5 added better texture filtering among other things, so your texture-based contrast is peanut butter, now.

The amount of heat radiated depends on how long the object has been moving, what they're moving over (friction generates heat) and also the temperature of the surrounding area. Also knowing which areas of the model are actually radiating heat (ala SAM Radar) is important to know if you are to simulate the experience accurately.

I agree with you and know these things, but I can tell you from 1.2 to 1.5 it is incorrect due to the new terrain textures. They need a tweak and it will be acceptable again. 2.0 is fine good contrast to back ground with eye ball and flir system. It's not a perfect technology nothing is

Guys, this visibility problem is NOT specific to the A-10C and it's TGP.

The Su-25T suffers from the same problem with it's TV guided weapons on the Shkval screen and the A-10A on the TV guided maverick and even the IR maverick screen.

On the Su-25T and A-10A TV guided weapons screens it seems the objects have nearly the same brightness and contrast as does the landscape, making them nearly impossible to see at distance.

Now with the IR weapons on the Su-25T and A-10A, I'm seeing exactly what you A-10C drivers are seeing.

Clearly this is not a "wish" but a "bug" plain and simple. As this affects more than one module and seems to be a problem with the new textures on the old map, I would think the priority to fix this should be increased and expedited.

• ED Team

As has already been stated, its known and being looked into.

Guys, this visibility problem is NOT specific to the A-10C and it's TGP.

The Su-25T suffers from the same problem with it's TV guided weapons on the Shkval screen and the A-10A on the TV guided maverick and even the IR maverick screen.

On the Su-25T and A-10A TV guided weapons screens it seems the objects have nearly the same brightness and contrast as does the landscape, making them nearly impossible to see at distance.

Now with the IR weapons on the Su-25T and A-10A, I'm seeing exactly what you A-10C drivers are seeing.

Clearly this is not a "wish" but a "bug" plain and simple. As this affects more than one module and seems to be a problem with the new textures on the old map, I would think the priority to fix this should be increased and expedited.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

As has already been stated, its known and being looked into.

Great news!! :)

Thanks a lot

ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming || i7x6700K@4.6GHz || Noctua NH-U14S || Corsair16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz || Asus Strix GTX-1080 TI-11GB || TrackIr 5Pro || Saitek x-55 Rhino || Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals || Win10 pro

...DCS World 2.0 in 2016 will offer new clouds and weather effects; improved HDR; deferred lighting (more light sources); new FLIR system; an improved Air Traffic Control (ATC) system

etc.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

So, no bug fix - to get at least back to what we had in 1.2.x - for you. Got it.

Well. Now you have time to rethink your statement. I am pleased that ED agrees In how important that topic is.

You can learn from this for your life:

Solving the nature of a problem > quick fixing the symptoms

Best regards

Boris

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how many are willing to do some proper thermal maps? It could be a community project if there's people willing to do so. And if we get the go ahead from ED.

I downloaded the photoshop script off of https://manuals.bisimulations.com/vbs2/1-50/devref/Content/Adding_Models/How_to/AMHT_Thermal_Imaging_How.htm so I can start taking a look at some of our vehicles.

I don't know how we can implement them yet but I am willing to give it a try none the less, even as a photoshop noob.

Edited by spaceraver

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

So, how many are willing to do some proper thermal maps? It could be a community project if there's people willing to do so. And if we get the go ahead from ED.

I would support you and buy ya redbulls thats forsure lol

well ed has announced a new flir system in last newsletter. be great to have full environmental and movement factors taken into consideration on the heat maps also.

Edited by Enduro14

...DCS World 2.0 in 2016 will offer new clouds and weather effects; improved HDR; deferred lighting (more light sources); new FLIR system; an improved Air Traffic Control (ATC) system

etc.

The new FLIR is promised for 2.0. only!

1.5 Caucasus won't get it for another year at least, since the merge of 1.5 into 2.0 is not a priority this year, see Wags post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...&postcount=208

So basically you have to buy 2.0...if you want an working FLIR...sometime in 2016.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.