Settling With Power????

AG-51_Razor

As for the TM, I just used the "spring mod" Like this one: [ame]

[/ame]

Just a few minutes and makes huey flying *so* much better.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Wow, very well said Razor, as a someone with experience that is quite a statement :thumbup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I know exactly how you feel, and it can be very frustrating!

The problem is that it even if you are proven correct, it won't be changed as it's too long down the road, so that's the end of it.

No. I am not a helicopter pilot - but I used to race cars and do very well with it and we had the same thing with certain racing simulators and people swearing blind that they were so hard to drive because they were really realistic and had authentic physics, which was complete hogwash.

Anyone who said otherwise, obviously just wasn't good enough and had no idea of real life racing!

Boy, was I pleased when the devs, on their 3rd product by then (Simbin) revealed in an interview exactly what I had been saying from their first release! And when they finally got things much closer to reality, the hard cases from release 1 started saying they weren't going to drive it because it had become 'arcade'!

Anyway, going off topic, but I know where you are coming from ;)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Are you saying that the gage in the cockpit reads in meters per second??

Yes, it is Russian after all...

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

"Elvis" saved my parents a few years ago, if that was you Razor, thank you.

Rangi, chances are, I was not on that crew but it is possible. I have spent many an enjoyable summer down under and can't say enough good things about it.

It's been fairly quiet down there this season. One of the Bankstown machines is off contract and the other will move down to Mangalore in Victoria on the 6th. There is still one in Essendon and one in Ballarat, and South Australia still has theirs down in Brukunga and lastly we have one sitting in Perth, WA.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am using a TM Warthawg and have the throttle inverted for the collective.

I couldn't agree more! I have managed to learn to hover fairly smoothly but it is far more work than I can remember back when I was learning at Ft Rucker! If anything, I would say that the throttle/collective is my biggest problem. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to overcome that.

Hi Razor

Very interesting input about both helicopters. :)

I have the Warthog too, and have done two things that greatly improved my flying:

For the stick I have mounted an extension, so that it is now 150 mm longer than standard.

This gives a much better feel for small movements.

For the throttle it helped a lot when I configured it to have the turbines throttle assigned to the left throttle, and collective assigned to the right throttle.

It is easier to move one throttle only, so again it is a little easier to make small movements.

I didn't reverse the throttle axis, so I can also use the left throttle (always being full forward) to support my fingers a little bit, and thus better feel small movements when moving the the right throttle.

(I hope this makes sense. :) )

When I got that extension, it seemed like my stick and throttle was much better balanced, so I really recommend it.

I didn't do the spring mod, it was not necessary for me.

But it might well have been, without the extension.

PS: I have also acquired a vibrating feedback seat pad, that "plays" the vibrations of the airframe when flying.

This helps a lot too. :)

20150914_202219_350.png.2d95f330bca255665dddc3c880403cb3.png

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Sporg, where did you find that extension? Is it available commercially or did you make it yourself?

I bought it in China, on AliExpress.

The seller has set it not available at the moment, but I think you can maybe still contact him and make him sell it again.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FGC-Extension-Long-version-for-Thrustmaster-HOTAS-Warthog-Cougar-Joystick/32326324446.html

Otherwise there are two other guys in here that sells extensions, wasyl00 and Sahaj.

https://sites.google.com/site/warthogextension/

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/my-products/

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Well, in the mean time, all I can say is, "WOW!!!" I swear it feels like I am hovering around in my Skycrane!! It's as natural as can be. I'm going to have to dust off the Huey again and see what that feels like. Thanks again Imp! You've given me a new flight sim!! :pilotfly:

The bad news is, I'm going to have to learn how to fly the airplanes all over again. OH well, they pretty much fly themselves if left alone :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is the probable cause. :thumbup: You were most likely just letting her sink too fast.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

:D :thumbup:

This would have been worth to be filmed in real life! :D

I am sure after this you will like her better. Also use the VVI indicator from the doppler system (DISS15) that has a gauge to show you the low speeds just under the normal VVI, the normal one is a bit slower in reacting but it can be better later as it is bigger to see and also once you get used with the lag it has you will have tendency to allow you some slack and not be too brutal with her.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I have no doubt whatsoever that my problem with this is every bit pilot error. I'm just saying that, from my prespective, this does not seem real.

As for the gross weight of a Hughes 300, I don't remember, it was too long ago. I can tell you though, that tyring to demonstrate settling with power in it as an instructor was very challenging. You could bring it to an out of ground effect hover and lower the collective to well over 500 fpm and then just pull pitch to stop it. Very frustrating. The helicopter that I have been flying for the last 23 years and have over 4,000 hours in is the Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane with an empty weight of 20,000+ lbs and is just as stuborn about getting into settling with power, even up towards it's max gross weight of 47,000 lbs.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that either of these helicopters are not susseptible to this phenomina. All I am saying is that it seems to me that it is way to easy to get into it in this simulation. An approach to an airport from a thousand feet and 220 kph begun several miles out ends up in a smoking hole 4 out of 5 times. I do understand that it is just a matter of practice and repetition, and I have acheived major strides in the several hours I have been trying to learn the Mi-8 but I really still have to believe that this helicopter, in real life, is a lot easier to fly than this. That said, the Huey has got to be one of the easiest helicopters in the world to fly and I fail miserably at that in this game! Maybe the ugly truth is, I just suck as a computer pilot :joystick:

I think your major problem is, that you dont feel anything, when you flying in DCS. You have such a big experience in Real Life, that you dont look that much on the instruments that often, because you have a feeling for anything. The Problem is in the Sim, that you not feel anything, and thats why it could be, that you fail.

I see that with other HighTime Pilots. Especially Transport Pilots who always look outside the Bubblewindow. Their Instrument is their Ass. As simple as that :)

When it is reverse, so that you have a lot of experience in the Sim and start to fly RL, like me now, it is much easier. For Example: the first thing you learn in FlightSchool is, that you have to aim a point with your eyes far away from you, so the whole hovering is much softer and not wobbly, also your stick movements are much less. In the sim i alwys aimed a point 1m or so in front of the Cockpit. I never learned it now in Flightschool ^^ i still aim the point 1m away from me. Also i look donw on the skids, to land on a tight spot my flying is still soft and calm. My FI always going nuts ^^. Thats all because, in my opinion, i, as a hight time SIM Pilot, i dont need my assfeeling as much as you for flying.

Greetings from Switzerland.

EDIT. forget it ^^

Edited by dahui
i was way to slow and didnt see, that it has 5 pages ^^

Is the doppler system the gauge right above the VVI? The manual doesn't explain that one and while flying I've noticed a lamp on that gauge light up, but have no clue what it means.

Yes that one... I said by mistake bellow.

The lamp is lit when you are very few meters from ground (2-3, I think) and it means the system is not to be "trusted" because it doesn't work that low.

The functionality is very simple, the upside down "cross" shows you speeds in the horizontal 4 directions, until 40km/h for forward and until 20km/h in the rest of directions. On the left side has a VVI that is actuated by this system and not by the one that actuates the normal VVI from bellow. As for Ka-50, when you calculate your low speeds you need to take into consideration also vertical speeds... some Pitagora stuff :D .

If you need light in the night for this system you have a black knob behind the co-pilot seat (right seat). Just make sure you turned the system on from copilot triangle upper dash and electrical systems are running normally.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.b4b71f338869bedfe00c7faea479f445.jpg

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

If you need light in the night for this system you have a black knob behind the co-pilot seat (right seat). Just make sure you turned the system on from copilot triangle upper dash and electrical systems are running normally.

Yes, turn on "5,5V backlight" first and then adjust the brightness with the black knob behind co-pilot.

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD

Is the doppler system the gauge right above the VVI? The manual doesn't explain that one and while flying I've noticed a lamp on that gauge light up, but have no clue what it means.

Yes! That is the doppler hover indicator right above the VVI! The navigation part is over on the left side of the cockpit but you don't need to poke that for the hover gauge to work.

[ame]

[/ame]

The first 10 minutes is all on the doppler system, including that lamp on the gauge, and how to use the navigation system. It then moves on to navigating with the ARK-9 and ARK-UD.

Practice makes perfect.