The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

18 minutes ago, imacken said:

So, the backup folder issue has nothing to with OneDrive.  I set it to a local folder and it still didn't work. I reckon it has to do with the big issue, i.e. the app isn't loading my preferences/settings at startup and therefore just creates the folder in the default location.

thanks, I will check the function order on startup, as I moved the customer profile folder setting up, but it may have conflicted with some other things being loaded that early.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Another issue I find is that if the "Saved Games" folder has moved to other location, the utility will create one under user windows profile nonetheless.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

9 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Another issue I find is that if the "Saved Games" folder has moved to other location, the utility will create one under user windows profile nonetheless.

That's what we've been discussing above!

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On First Run it will create the directory as it was not told to look elsewhere,
after first run and setting alternate userP, it should no longer be looking at the Default C:/Users/UserName/SavedGames/

Delete or rename the folder and see if the app puts it back.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

22 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

On First Run it will create the directory as it was not told to look elsewhere,
after first run and setting alternate userP, it should no longer be looking at the Default C:/Users/UserName/SavedGames/

Delete or rename the folder and see if the app puts it back.

We’ve been discussing this exact same thing already! It’s not working. It’s created by the Backup routine. You said you would look into this. 
Deleting makes no difference. Just comes back on next load of the app. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

38 minutes ago, imacken said:

We’ve been discussing this exact same thing already! It’s not working. It’s created by the Backup routine. You said you would look into this. 

I did and I am,
I am collecting as much data as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imacken said:

It just creates the folder and / backup folder inside it or does files it also copy files to it as well?,
I have identified the potential source, but just want to confirm the behavior before I re-order functions.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2

Very nice Update @SkateZilla

• Everything working for me now. 
  • On my very first load and setup of V2 I noticed that the Browse Function for External Apps was filtering on only .lua extensions.  When I manually typed in the filename entries for the External Applications all my App Settings were reset to defaults on the next restart of DCS Updater 2.0.
  • Once I started DCS Update 2.0 a second time and re-entered my Settings a second time everything was saved.   
  • Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Im getting this error now...not sure what happened, but how would I go about resetting this?

dcs1.jpg

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

12 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Im getting this error now...not sure what happened, but how would I go about resetting this?

dcs1.jpg

Winkey + R, ENTER "%APPDATA%", Go back one folder level, Choose /Local/, then /Skate Zilla Simulations/, then Find the folder for 2.0.0.31 open the user.config in Notepad++,

Find Setting String for OpenXRTOOLKITUSERPATH And change it to:

<setting name="OpenXRTOOLKITUSERPATH" serializeAs="String">
                <value />
            </setting>

Also, OpenXR Toolkit path should be:
C:\Program Files\OpenXR-Toolkit\

C:\Windows\Installer\{HASH FOLDER}\Binary Name\ is usually a binary cache that gets cleared.

But also reminds me to change a few things with external apps and their checking of paths to avoid this issue altogether and having to do a manual setting clear.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2023 at 7:00 PM, SkateZilla said:

On the Home Screen on the Preset Selected Boxes there's a Tag and a Tag w/ a Slash Through it, Click the Tag.

I plan to have a PDF for Instructions done soon,

Also, Monday's are the Days when I commit new builds, barring a major issue or simply nothing has been changed.

Got it! Duh, I should have seen those.  It was obvious, I'm just stupid.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

30 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

Winkey + R, ENTER "%APPDATA%", Go back one folder level, Choose /Local/, then /Skate Zilla Simulations/, then Find the folder for 2.0.0.31 open the user.config in Notepad++,

Find Setting String for OpenXRTOOLKITUSERPATH And change it to:

<setting name="OpenXRTOOLKITUSERPATH" serializeAs="String">
                <value />
            </setting>

Also, OpenXR Toolkit path should be:
C:\Program Files\OpenXR-Toolkit\

C:\Windows\Installer\{HASH FOLDER}\Binary Name\ is usually a binary cache that gets cleared.

But also reminds me to change a few things with external apps and their checking of paths to avoid this issue altogether and having to do a manual setting clear.

Awesome, that worked.

Quick question: can it be possible (or is it possible) to get the app to launch DCS on different monitors? I ask because I have an ultra wide monitor thats my desktop and a secondary monitor in my cockpit that I use in lieu with my VR headset or TrackIR and I use my bigger monitor for rendering.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

7 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

It just creates the folder and / backup folder inside it or does files it also copy files to it as well?,
I have identified the potential source, but just want to confirm the behavior before I re-order functions.

It creates a 'DCS Updater Utility' folder and a 'Backup' folder within it neither of which relates to the 'actual' user defined 'DCS Updater Utility' folder. See attached.

Thanks a lot.

z1.jpgnull

z2.jpg

Edited by imacken

8 hours ago, imacken said:

It creates a 'DCS Updater Utility' folder and a 'Backup' folder within it neither of which relates to the 'actual' user defined 'DCS Updater Utility' folder. See attached.

Thanks a lot.

z1.jpgnull

z2.jpg

Fabulous, I Think I Pinpointed the issue then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

Fabulous, I Think I Pinpointed the issue then.

Great news!

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 10:53 PM, Hammer1-1 said:

I go to the Graphics Preset Editor; I click on Preset #1, input my options for rendering, shaders, VR, terrain, etc...then I click on the disk icon. When I click the save button, everything reverts back to its values before I changed anything..now I see these are from the import from profile, so none of these are legitimate presets to save over? It does the same thing when I click on the save icon too when editing the global presets...just reloads its default values.

Also, Im trying to add custom apps to launch in external applications and no .exe files are being shown when browsing for one. For example: Im trying to add Sim Shaker in Custom App #1. Click on Browse, head to the default location C:\Program Files (x86)\SimShaker\SimShaker for Aviators Beta\, and the only thing I see in the folder is two more folders.

Screenshot 2023-07-01 223209.jpg

I've also narrowed this down to the Params being Stuck from Browse for ED Config File in the Preset Editor.
By Default the Browse for App Buttons shouldnt have a Filter, and there's only one place the filter was set, so I will fix that before today's compile.

• Like 2

I also notice something strange every time I start the utility - every time it loads up, I have to click on browse/set sim folder and select my DCS location before it recognizes a build. Literally cannot select a build until that happens. I havent been really paying attention that much to this thread, has anyone else had similar issues?

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

7 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I also notice something strange every time I start the utility - every time it loads up, I have to click on browse/set sim folder and select my DCS location before it recognizes a build. Literally cannot select a build until that happens. I havent been really paying attention that much to this thread, has anyone else had similar issues?

better to turn up late than not at all 🙂

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 minute ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I also notice something strange every time I start the utility - every time it loads up, I have to click on browse/set sim folder before it recognizes a build. Literally cannot select a build until that happens. I havent been really paying attention that much to this thread, has anyone else had similar issues?

Been discussed a lot here. Skate is on the case.

It's probably easier to hit the Scan/Calculate button to make it work rather than the browse/set sim.

• Like 1

If you're referring to the build manager/stats, Ive tried that too...doesnt help for me. It will just show NaN in the pie chart, only way I get it is to actually go through the above process. But if he's aware, then no need to report!

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

Prolly Could Click the "Refresh" button Immediately Next to "Builds" on the home screen, should do the same function.

• Like 1

nope

07/03/2023 | 07:04:28 PM | SCAN    | Sim Scan Active
07/03/2023 | 07:04:28 PM | SCAN    | Please Wait for scan to finish
07/03/2023 | 07:04:28 PM | SCAN    | ################################

it thinks there is scan active so it wont let you

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Doesn't work for me either.

• Like 1

Okay, worth a shot,

Scan / Calculate is an entirely different thread, which is odd that it would force another thread to finish.

I've been re-ordering some startup calls, hopefully it was just a errant call stopping it,

As the logs indicate:
-The Interposer Build Scan Function was Executed,
-The Thread was Created/Started,
-The Multithreaded function never got past the 1st line of the Function after the thread was created and started.

The 1st Line was to Change UI to Show Build Scan Active,
So I'm Assuming it's hanging on waiting for memory address for the command on the 2nd line.
Which helps narrow down some, and the specific command is also used in Scan/Calculate Build Thread along with a few others as it's a General UI Command, but since it's being run on another thread, it has to access the UI / Main App Thread's Memory Space to Execute.

So it's likely that the Build Scan Thread is not able to Access the Memory address to run the command sometimes at startup (either because it's locked/in use by another thread, or simply not created yet)

Clicking the Scan Calculate Button Runs the same command 4 lines down it's multithreaded function,
While the Build Scan tried and got stuck trying to access the memory address and was waiting for the command to run before proceeding,
The Scan Build Details Thread was able to access the command/memory address successfully, which releases the wait on the Build Scanner Function to complete it's function/routine.

The Joy's of Multi-Threading :-).

It's likely the Build Scan Thread is started and launched before the UI Generates the Memory Address for the function.
Depending on how fast the app UI is generated vs how fast the system processes the other threads is likely what's causing the Successful / Unsuccessful Launches.

I've put exception catches around that function, hopefully if the memory address isn't accessible, it catches as an exception, logs it and proceeds.
if that doesn't work, I will have to look into it further. it could be something else entirely,
But the fact that it stops on that line, and that line is executed by the other function/thread as well, leads me to believe it's that command.

Edited by SkateZilla

- Fixed VR Selection Box Staying Blank on First Run (Should Default to "Windows Default")
- Adjusted Build Scan Functions Order (Moved Module Version Check and Module Scan to the End.)
- Adjusted Startup Functions Order, Removed depreciated Function.
- Revised Sim Scan Engine / Saved Games Scan, Fixed Error that Resulted in Folders Being Detected even though it was not set or existing.
- Adjusted Startup Logging for Better Information.
- Adjusted Startup Order for User Profile Options (will Load Custom UserP Folder prior to App's Folder Creation)
- Re-enabled Hidden "ULTRA" Shadows Selection.
- Increased Scripts Textbox to 5,000 Characters.
- Increased Autoexec Textbox to 1,000 Characters.
- Fixed CrossLink resulting in Command for "Install" being sent for Uninstall functions on 75% of the Module IDs.
- Splash Screen Revision G.
- Added "Classic USNF" Theme
- Fixed Stuck Filter/Parameters on Open File Dialog and Open Directory Dialog.
- Added More Exception Catches around Build Scan (trying to determine where the thread hangs).
- Added Exception Catch around UI Command / Memory Address (Attempt to Fix Hanging Build Scan Thread).

• Like 3