Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

I just got my Rift hooked up for the first time and having some mixed emotions. The post-install Oculus demo (one where you interact with the Wall-E looking robot) is awesome and smooth, life is good.

I fire up DCS 1.5 and 2.2, using VR preset in DCS with PD of 1.7, and it's stutter city. Everything is buttery smooth, until I try to pan around the cockpit....and then it looks like I'm dragging the screen around. As soon as I stop moving my head, it's smooth again.

Am I missing something or is this working as "intended?"

It would be useful to know your settings. Ok I don't have the ti but I struggle to get good performance with anything above 1.3 PD in 2.2 Also view distance is high on mine not ultra makes a difference. Post a screen of your settings page and play around yourself a bit :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be useful to know your settings. Ok I don't have the ti but I struggle to get good performance with anything above 1.3 PD in 2.2 Also view distance is high on mine not ultra makes a difference. Post a screen of your settings page and play around yourself a bit :)

So...I went to take a screenshot of the settings and realized that I was no longer seeing any stutter/ghosting when panning. Nothing has changed since last night other than I shut my PC down and booted back up this morning. Maybe it needed a nap? Lol.

Anyway, so now that that's gone all I can say is WOW. The immersion factor is through the roof. I hopped in to an F5E over Nevada and when I did an inverted dive to the deck....I felt my stomach drop as if I was on a coaster. Then as I was carving up the canyons, few hundred ft above the ground, I was almost getting motion sickness :pilotfly::joystick:.

As for the SDE, its there and I see it as soon as I think about it, however, once I pulled it my mind seems to filter it out and I don't notice it. Now, the reading of the gauges....yikes, but I knew that going in. I will try playing around with the settings see if I can give it a nudge in the right direction.

As far as sensors go? Where do you guys have yours placed? I have mine on my desk, on either side of my monitor approximately 3-4ft apart. According to the initial setup, it's not ideal....but seems to work. May have to play around with that too.

Edited by EightyDuce

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

I see you have a similar setup to the one I'm looking at getting with EVGA 1080ti and your 7700k.. would you mind telling me how high your are able to put your settings with VR? I hear maxing settings is impossible with VR but I'm looking to get an oculus and upgrade some stuff to come as close as possible for 2.5.. any info is helpful! Also how bad is the resolution.. will I be able to read the HUD on the a-10? Or see the time to impact counter on the targeting pod?

Consider trying different rift settings too. R-Ctrl numpad 1-4 for selecting the following modes:

Mode 1 disables ASW and only ATW will create synthetic frames when the frame rate drops below 90fps.

Modes 2 and 3 will drop the ED frame rate to 45fps max, without/with ASW support forced.

Mode 4 is the default where ASW will turn on and off by itself.

I play 1920x1080 on single monitor (with MFDs on second screen) and enjoy my game, Im in no hurry to buy a 4k monitor, you dont miss what you havnt had right?

Yes, the Full HD ain't bad, but the 4K will be 2x more clearer as there is 4x more details. This means you get the capability to spot a moving units more realistic manner, you can spot the flying fighter from a few kilometer distance but still you need to get close to identify them visually. The same thing is with the ground units that you can spot the shadows (motion, , clare, color, shape/shadow are the things that basically reveal something to anyone else, why concealment is critical task in war, and it is little silly as in DCS we don't have any of that really) or some of the shape from 1-2km distance if the contrast (object + surrounding textures) is strong enough. With a Full HD you can do same but it is just little more difficult as instead 3-4 pixels you have just 1 pixel.

But I really want to buy VR, have an old R9 200 paired with a 4.4ghx 2600K - seems I could possible run a Rift with a 1070Ti and the old 2600?

What do you think, I keep building panels for a cockpit but recently one of the cockpit builders sold his rig as he got VR.

It is a very very difficult thing to say as it depends what do you expect.

Like if you love flying, just being in cockpit and going around, sight seeing etc. Then VR is totally great for that. But the current resolution in HMD is barely acceptable. Once you try a "8K HMD" (8K+ as Pimax has two version, one is "8K" that is 1440 upscaled to 4K and other is the real 4K per eye) (https://www.pimaxvr.com/en/8k/) then you can't anymore go back to what is today (as you say above about Full HD vs 4K).

And that is the point when I say that typical monitor can be thrown away by most virtual pilots. As having a 200 degree horizontal and 120 degree vertical FOV.... That is 4K monitor per eye, you are totally totally, totally(!) different league than the current ones with a about 75-80 degree horizontal and 60-70 degree vertical (110 degree diagonal).

So I would hold on the money, keep using the current cockpit things, as if you are serious about operating the aircraft functions, panels, displays, buttons, switches etc and learning of them is one of the critical part of that experience, then VR in current resolution is just disliked experience as you need to lean a lot forward to read the panels and texts. And doing a ground attack can be nasty as ground units just blends to the ground in open that you have hard time to find what to shoot in your 2km attack run until you are around 1-1.5km distance (way too close for most ground units self-air defense weapons).

I like the idea of a set up with Rift to play both racing and flight sims.

This resolution stuff has me second guessing though, is it really an issue? Its not like an Amiga or Atari ST? Its just like turning your monitor resolution down?

Go to play DCS now with a 1280x768 and you get an idea, but the VR would be even lower, but smoother because the extra optics that even more softens all.

The VR would be well usable in DCS if every DCS cockpit would get a VR optimization. Meaning a 1.3-1.5x larger texts with much slimmer strong contrast fonts, weathered textured removed and replaced with a clinical ones, make all buttons and switches with larger contrast edges, maybe some buttons to be re-scaled larger etc.

But that would require new cockpit, that would be "unrealistic" for many.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I see you have a similar setup to the one I'm looking at getting with EVGA 1080ti and your 7700k.. would you mind telling me how high your are able to put your settings with VR? I hear maxing settings is impossible with VR but I'm looking to get an oculus and upgrade some stuff to come as close as possible for 2.5.. any info is helpful! Also how bad is the resolution.. will I be able to read the HUD on the a-10? Or see the time to impact counter on the targeting pod?

I don't have the A10c module (shame I know) so I can't speak of that, but I can get my settings and such. What I noticed from my short play time I had this morning, Nevada stays mostly at 90fps with some dips into 45, but still smooth. Normandy, in a Spit, it's pretty much stays at 45 with some jumps to 90.

Attached are my current VR settings, and its smooth in Nevada and Normandy. Granted, I only tested this in single player. As for the resolution, its....well, it's what is expected. You aren't going to get crisp graphics like you would on a 1080p/4k monitor. The gauges are hard to read sometimes without leaning in, however, I have no issues with reading anything on the HUD. The visibility of the gauges varies from plane to plane and is best on WW2 birds (big, uncluttered gauges). Spotting, at least to me right now, is problematic and is going to get some getting used to and tweaking the settings.

Am I unhappy with the results? Not in the least. Like I mentioned earlier, it has opened up a whole new window into the sim that you can't get anywhere else short of becoming a fighter pilot. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely, mainly in the resolution department. When/if Pimax 8k delivers....oh boy, let's just say I'll have to buy the wife something really nice and shiny.

For now, I'll keep playing with the settings to see what I can squeeze out. One thing is for sure, it's going to be hard to make myself play DCS without VR.

810613127_VRsettings.thumb.jpg.cc2464f8324913d55d4997ca0b81e0a1.jpg

Edited by EightyDuce

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

Should be able to do that in the VR setting menu and UI layer.

Put a check in VR setting for "use mouse".

Then in controller mapping menu, click on down arrow by module listing and scroll all way down to UI layer. There you can assign a button press for left mouse click.

I've been looking everywhere, but when I open the controls menu and scroll down, lowest thing I see is zoom option; where can I find that UI option you mention?

I've been looking everywhere, but when I open the controls menu and scroll down, lowest thing I see is zoom option; where can I find that UI option you mention?

The UI layer is down at the bottom of the module listings on the upper left, where you pick a module to assign controls. Scroll all way down past your modules and you shoud find the UI layer there at the bottom or pretty close to it.

Note the settings in the UI layer are global, not module specific.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't have the A10c module (shame I know) so I can't speak of that, but I can get my settings and such. What I noticed from my short play time I had this morning, Nevada stays mostly at 90fps with some dips into 45, but still smooth. Normandy, in a Spit, it's pretty much stays at 45 with some jumps to 90.

Attached are my current VR settings, and its smooth in Nevada and Normandy. Granted, I only tested this in single player. As for the resolution, its....well, it's what is expected. You aren't going to get crisp graphics like you would on a 1080p/4k monitor. The gauges are hard to read sometimes without leaning in, however, I have no issues with reading anything on the HUD. The visibility of the gauges varies from plane to plane and is best on WW2 birds (big, uncluttered gauges). Spotting, at least to me right now, is problematic and is going to get some getting used to and tweaking the settings.

Am I unhappy with the results? Not in the least. Like I mentioned earlier, it has opened up a whole new window into the sim that you can't get anywhere else short of becoming a fighter pilot. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely, mainly in the resolution department. When/if Pimax 8k delivers....oh boy, let's just say I'll have to buy the wife something really nice and shiny.

For now, I'll keep playing with the settings to see what I can squeeze out. One thing is for sure, it's going to be hard to make myself play DCS without VR.

Watch Jabber's Sticky thread video on "All things VR" Also, not sure if you have SSD's or not, but that makes a huge difference. There was another thread where an ED Tester asked folks to try it *with* VSYNC if there was a lot of stutter. And finally, Rift has a small sweet spot. So make sure you adjust the straps to make sure you're on that sweet spot. And come on, Airborne, how can you *not* have the A10C module! :D

Now you can really have your feet and knees in the breeze! :pilotfly::joystick::thumbup:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The UI layer is down at the bottom of the module listings on the upper left, where you pick a module to assign controls. Scroll all way down past your modules and you shoud find the UI layer there at the bottom or pretty close to it.

Note the settings in the UI layer are global, not module specific.

AH! Found it!! Tnx!!

AH! Found it!! Tnx!!

:thumbup:

They do have it hidden fairly well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Watch Jabber's Sticky thread video on "All things VR" Also, not sure if you have SSD's or not, but that makes a huge difference. There was another thread where an ED Tester asked folks to try it *with* VSYNC if there was a lot of stutter. And finally, Rift has a small sweet spot. So make sure you adjust the straps to make sure you're on that sweet spot. And come on, Airborne, how can you *not* have the A10C module! :D

Now you can really have your feet and knees in the breeze! :pilotfly::joystick::thumbup:

I looked at Jabber's settings and we seem to be in the same ballpark. As of right now, I haven't encountered any stuttering issues other than the initial stuff I reported earlier, which has be solved...somehow. I do have SSD's though, for both OS and DCS...I guess I should put that in the sig as well.

As for the A10C....yeah I do feel a little dirty about not having it. When I got into DCS I was all about the helicopters (Ka-50 was my first encounter with DCS). Since then, I've transitioned more towards fixed wing and pick up a module or two every sale. Figured I'd stick with the F5 for a while, get my feet wet as she's pretty simple. Also have a Spit and the Mustang, but boy are those some unruly bastards on takeoff and landing.

I also snagged the UH-1 this last sale, that will probably keep me busy until the Hornet comes.

All that being said...I did encounter a new issue with VR. The comms menu. I'm guessing everyone is using VAICOM?

All that being said...I did encounter a new issue with VR. The comms menu. I'm guessing everyone is using VAICOM?

PTT or some key unless your still on simple radio and grab the mouse to interact with menu. Having said that Voice attack is great from all I hear. Maybe when we don't run a guest house I will look into it furthur;)

• Like 1

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PTT or some key unless your still on simple radio and grab the mouse to interact with menu. Having said that Voice attack is great from all I hear. Maybe when we don't run a guest house I will look into it furthur;)

Voice Attack is great!

I use it in another sim, which has much less complex commands and it works great directly with it. I have yet to take the time to set it up for DCS, plan on doing so soon. I will probably go with the Vaicom software to use with VA due to the more complex DCS command structure.

Don B

Haha, learn something new every day. I did not know you could use the mouse to navigate the comms menu. Also, what do you mean when you refer to PTT? I'm assuming it means push-to-talk, however, I do understand the context in relation to DCS.

Do no use Simple Radio...I'm pretty much a "newb" when it comes to anything other than vanilla DCS.

• Like 1

Haha, learn something new every day. I did not know you could use the mouse to navigate the comms menu. Also, what do you mean when you refer to PTT? I'm assuming it means push-to-talk, however, I do understand the context in relation to DCS.

Do no use Simple Radio...I'm pretty much a "newb" when it comes to anything other than vanilla DCS.

Take a look at vaicom pro 2.5, works so nice, it gives so mutch more immursion

Hollywood just released the vaicom pro 2.5 in december.. i will never have to use the mouse for communication and i love that you speak to tower or wingman or jtac... and they respond to your voice :)

not waiting and sombody else speaking for you but really direct responce to wat you say.... i love it (it needs a little bit of training)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198297

----------------------------------------------------------

i7 2600K oc 4.7g / asus gtx 1080 gaming x+ / 16gig ram / ssd 500gig / oculus rift / jetseat se / saitek rudder ((next upgrade)mfg crosswind) / logitech warthog hotas + 20cm extention

Take a look at vaicom pro 2.5, works so nice, it gives so mutch more immursion

Hollywood just released the vaicom pro 2.5 in december.. i will never have to use the mouse for communication and i love that you speak to tower or wingman or jtac... and they respond to your voice :)

not waiting and sombody else speaking for you but really direct responce to wat you say.... i love it (it needs a little bit of training)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198297

----------------------------------------------------------

i7 2600K oc 4.7g / asus gtx 1080 gaming x+ / 16gig ram / ssd 500gig / oculus rift / jetseat se / saitek rudder ((next upgrade)mfg crosswind) / logitech warthog hotas + 20cm extention

Co-signed, it is an incredible tool for VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 2 weeks later...
[win10, Oculus CV1]

Hello,

without absolutely touching anything since last DCS use, today the centering KP5 key, sometimes is no longer working, sometimes it works only in the cockpit, yet not centering properly (with a large offset to the right)

the other VR games seem to work correctly (yet they don't have a re-centering key)

please, any hints?

thanks

posting the solution for helping maybe others:

for unknown reasons to me, the VR center key was deleted in UI layer VR config (not by me)

win10 - win7 // 1080 // creative Fatal1ty // WartHog Hotas // trackIr5 // 3d vision // Saitek Trim wheel // CH Throttle Quadrant // Saitek pedals // Oculus CV1

Well,

Got my Rift yesterday...

I7 7700k

16 gb ripjaws

Z170 asus maximus 8 ranger

Evga gtx1080ti

Ssd drive sys and dcs

Dcs settings as in jabbers video

Result: 23fps

I'll be going to the hardware store today to buy a hammer pricey enough to be worthy of smashing this rig into pieces.

Well,

Got my Rift yesterday...

I7 7700k

16 gb ripjaws

Evga gtx1080ti

Ssd drive sys and dcs

I'll be going to the hardware store today to buy a hammer pricey enough to be worthy of smashing this rig into pieces.

Something is definitely amiss there...

Don B

Something is definitely amiss there...

You can imagine how it feels. Spent 1500$ to get ready for VR and I get this abysmal performance. I am working up the courage to reinstall my system from scratch, or at least make a new install somewhere just to test DCS + OR.

The demos and free stuff from OR library work just fine... no stutter no bad FPS no tracking issues. In OR everything is green. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers, however not sure about MB drivers; I'll have to check that. All USBs are connected to 3.0.

But DCS is just awful. As soon as I turn my head the picture starts to seems as double, and on top of everything, the ingame FPS counter shows the same performance in the main menu as in the game. This feels like some problem with drivers somewhere, or could it be a problem with bios settings?

Well,

Got my Rift yesterday...

I7 7700k

16 gb ripjaws

Evga gtx1080ti

Ssd drive sys and dcs

If you want any help troubleshooting I am more than happy to help. I think the first thing you could do is run a benchmark to see what your rig is doing. It sounds like it could be conflicting drivers but you need to check it against something other than DCS to discount its a problem with your rig first.

Try the orangeroom demo its a benchmarking tool for VR

http://store.steampowered.com/app/464170/VRMark/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can imagine how it feels. Spent 1500$ to get ready for VR and I get this abysmal performance. I am working up the courage to reinstall my system from scratch, or at least make a new install somewhere just to test DCS + OR.

Probably first thing I would try is:

Uninstall the display drivers with DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode.

Install the latest Nvidia Display Driver - 390.65

Only install the driver itself and PhysX. Do not install GeForce Experience or any of that other stuff.

Reboot the PC.

In the Nvidia Control Panel, set power management to " Prefer Maximum Performance".

Leave all other settings at their default ( application controlled).

Also check task manager, make sure no unneeded programs running.

In DCS, start with low settings. No shadows, no MSAA. Pixel Density at 1 ( can work up from there ). Deferred shading off.

While you are at it, go ahead and delete the following files in DCS:

In users, your user name, saved games, DCS Open Alpha ( or whichever version you are running) - delete the contents of the fxo folder, then delete the contents of the metashaders folder. ( these will rebuild when DCS launches again, will be a slow start on first launch).

Don't give up, there is definitely something going on that is preventing better performance on your rig with DCS, just need to do some troubleshooting to get it sorted.

Also , are you using the latest version of Precision XOC for that EVGA 1080 Ti? What is your card boosting to when you see this low performance? If it is the three fan version, you need Precision XOC for all three fans to operate. What are your GPU, Power, and Memory temps when running DCS?

Edited by dburne

Don B

@Cibit and dburne,

thanks for your replies guys. I will try to follow your suggestions and then I'll report back here.

One interesting thing is that my FPS is the same in the main menu as in the game. I wonder if anyone can tell me should this be the case? I would expect that the FPS drop much further in the game than in the menu, yet it is not the case.

dburne,

I dont use any other software than nvidia drivers and gtemp. My card is the EVGA Hybrid with a closed-loop water cooling system. This thing just keeps the GPU below 35degC all the time so I didnt bother to install any management software.

@Cibit and dburne,

dburne,

I dont use any other software than nvidia drivers and gtemp. My card is the EVGA Hybrid with a closed-loop water cooling system. This thing just keeps the GPU below 35degC all the time so I didnt bother to install any management software.

It would be good if you could monitor your GPU clockspeed and see if it is boosting properly.

Don B