VR and Whirlybirds

Damocles

Not that I'm showing my age or anything. (Whirlybirds seems like a millennia ago)

I've always struggled with helicopters, will, does VR revolutionize the experience, that flying helicopters becomes more fun and less graft ?

Flying helicopters is a wonderful experience in VR. You get the small visual cues of movement that a 2D screen can't give you.

I never really gave the KA50 much time before, but now it's my favourite mod. The Huey is a blast too, if you just feel like flying a motorbike for a while.

Not really been bitten by the MI8 bug, but others love it, too.

There are downsides of course - spotting is just stupidly hard to do in VR right now, meaning I have to use tags to find the enemy. Chopper control also needs more finesse, which means any drops in fps that running VR brings and you can find yourself off for a bit of a wobble.

Still, it really is great. Can't wait for the new choppers when they come as well.

Cheers,

Smirkza

If you are running 2.0.2, try a solo, late dusk environment in downtown Las Vegas at low altitude. ED fixed the night lights (they were wrong for one eye before) and maybe start already in the air near the Stratosphere. Really nice!! I edited the file star.fx ( in Bazar\shaders ) so as to reduce the size of the supernova stars. Also, set up a button for the cheat Autopilot so you can just admire the scenery at low altitude. And turn the searchlight on (Rctrl+";") and extend it forward("8") a few times.

Edited by whitav8

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Helicopters are a blast in VR! My flying has improved a dozen times over; hovering and spot landings are much easier, and the whole sense of immersion is fantastic.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Depth Perception Makes Rotary Wing Aircraft a bit easier to fly.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

***** The most important VR Ka-50 question from someone who's expecting to wait 4 more weeks for my rift;

How does the targeting reticle work in VR for BlackShark??? one eye only or both???

2600K @ 4.2GHz, MSI P67A-GD55, 16GB G.Skill @2133 , GTX 970, Rift, SSD boot & DCS drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll see if I can do a test flight this weekend. But in theory it should only appear in one eye, right?

***** The most important VR Ka-50 question from someone who's expecting to wait 4 more weeks for my rift;

How does the targeting reticle work in VR for BlackShark??? one eye only or both???

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

I can tell you that with the huey gunsights in 3d surround you have to close one eye. I would think it's a byproduct of stereoscopic display.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

well, IRL You close one Eye dont you?

So wouldn't it in fact be a more accurate simulation then?

as One eye would be Centered on the sight, while the other is offset to the right or left..

with VR, you're no longer looking at a 2D Flat Render, so throw away 2D Habits.

I'll prolly cover that in my next video this weekend, throwing away 2D Screen habits.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Thanks for the input guys, i'm chomping at the bit for CV1! pretty much wouldn't care if it didn't work for anything other than DCS.

For my part, as long as it doesn't to the flippy crazy crap that it did in nvidia 3dvision then I think it's fine closing one eye, even if it's an immersion breaker, but if it's possible to get it displaying on one eye, that would be highly cool.

And since it's not outside of the whirlybird discussion, along the lines of the Ka50 reticle, how about when (if) a real Apache is developed for DCS? If I recall that awesomely realistic movie Fire Birds (how awesome was that flick?!? all hail Nick Cage s/) that there is the eyepiece over one eye that has almost nothing to do with what's going on at the other eyeball. I have to guess that the current structure of VR simply doesn't support this sort of "view"?

2600K @ 4.2GHz, MSI P67A-GD55, 16GB G.Skill @2133 , GTX 970, Rift, SSD boot & DCS drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you? Like with the gunsits on the WWII planes the view in the rift is off a bit. Sort of like the HUD was on the F-15 before as well. So not sure if the huey sight was designed to be used with two eyes or one. I would hope two since you tend to lose depth perception with one eye closed and probably wouldn't be the safest thing.

On the Apache, and I'm assuming the KA-50 the monicle for the night vision and sighting system is deployed on the right eye. So in theory if the rift was modelling this correctly, we would only see it in the right eye.

well, IRL You close one Eye dont you?

So wouldn't it in fact be a more accurate simulation then?

as One eye would be Centered on the sight, while the other is offset to the right or left..

with VR, you're no longer looking at a 2D Flat Render, so throw away 2D Habits.

I'll prolly cover that in my next video this weekend, throwing away 2D Screen habits.

• Like 1

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

When you shoot rifles like M16s you close one eye. When you're shooting M2 .50 machine guns, you keep both eyes open because the site is arms length away. Not to mention you'd crack your face open from the recoil....LOL.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I wonder how this would work with an IHADSS if something like the Apache ever gets modelled. I seem to recall that one of the biggest challenges pilots faced was getting used to the info coming into one eye while being able to simultaneously focus on everything else.

I wonder how this would work with an IHADSS if something like the Apache ever gets modelled. I seem to recall that one of the biggest challenges pilots faced was getting used to the info coming into one eye while being able to simultaneously focus on everything else.

We have Mr. Cage to Help w/ That..

The Eye Points for VR are Modeled w/ A Distance between them, So If an Object is close enough to the eyepoint and only over one, it wont be seen in the other,

If I have to I'll export a Custom Pit Model w/ Eye Sight Model to test,

if It's Mounted to the Helmet or Upper Consoles and Deployed withing a few inches of your face Im pretty sure it's a 1 eye system, if it's deployed away from your face (ie 5+ inches), then it's 2 eye system.

• Like 1

lOL. I totally forgot about that movie.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

KA 50 HMD works great in VR it is the easiest way to target anything.

No I don't shut one eye the thing is just there and you sight through it completely natural and very cool as it follows all your head movement :)

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Ok, so just tried the Huey with the CV1.

Some aspects are fantastic, I get a real sense of movement which helps greatly and within a couple of minutes I was flying much better than I could mange without the googles. I mastered the controls and the aircraft far quicker, thankfully.

The bad however is that until you get a good handle on controlling the helicopter and you wobble all over the place it's very nausea inducing. The question is which takes precedence first.

Make sure you set up a button for the "Cheat" Autopilot (straight and level) so that you can rest from the wobble when you want to go straight and just watch the scenery - plus you can relax your joystick hand.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)