Wanted: 3D modeler

Moderators: Can you please move this thread to directly under Mods and Apps? Thanks!

I'm an engineer and flight sim enthusiast looking to make the jump into creating payware for DCS and one of the survivors of FSX. I am a controls engineer, and have developed simulations and controls for military trucks, turbine engines, aircraft, and all their subsystems. I feel like I have engineering/physics/programming side of things under control, and I want to focus on relatively complicated aircraft system-wise, because that's what I think I have to offer. But I don't have any experience with 3D modeling for sims/games. I've done a lot of CAD, but as I've learned, doing CAD for engineering purposes, and 3D surface modeling for pretty visualizations have little in common. I'd like to find someone to team up with who can produce external and cockpit models to the standards ED accepts for third party licensees.

The first aircraft I have in mind is the Tu-22M3, for DCS. Obviously I don't have 'company support' for something like that, but I have enough open source data to make a very believable flight model, and I intend to make the EW and navigator/bombardier stations in the back largely functional. Anybody remember MEGAFORTRESS from the 90's? Gameplay like that.

I've already talked to ED a little about this stuff. Without a prior aircraft to point to, ED wants to see what I can do before they let me into their source code cookie jar, so I'm putting together a demonstration package to include aerodynamic and performance data, a new flight model and some kind of start on a 6DOF cockpit. I could use help with that last item.

So, anybody interested in diving into the 3D modeling side of complex jets? Feel free to PM me, or reply publicly with thoughts on the idea. I have some other aircraft in mind where I have performance and system data plus access to the aircraft (and I think there is some kind of interest), but my pile of data on the Tu-22M3 dwarfs all others. If one of these sparks your interest, maybe bring that up as a potential project, if TU-22M3 does not sound appealing.

Also, I occasionally talk on the Russian forums, but my Russian is not nearly good enough to say all this. I know enough to ask where the pitch trim and bathroom are, that's it. I would be very grateful if someone repeated this offer to the Russian speakers on the forum.

I've added photos to wet appetites. The Tu-22M3 rear cockpit:

1786126.jpg

Other Project Ideas

- Tu-144 (FSX/Prepar3d)

ra-77114f.jpg

- BAC TSR.2 (DCS)

BAC-TSR.2-First-Flight-TO-1.jpg

- Avro Canada CF-105 (DCS)

Avro_Arrow_rollout.jpg

- English Electric Lightning (DCS)

bg.jpg

- Canadair CL-114 Tutor (FSX/Prepar3d)

Snowbirds-orig.jpg

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by brianacooper11

Hey,

As a fellow developer just wanted to make sure you are aware of licensing issues.

If you are looking to create a payware plane then you will need to consider licensing, without licensing approval from the company you won't be able to obtain the SDK.

Good luck though, wish you the best and would love to see an English Electric Lightning in DCS!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

Hey,

As a fellow developer just wanted to make sure you are aware of licensing issues.

If you are looking to create a payware plane then you will need to consider licensing, without licensing approval from the company you won't be able to obtain the SDK.

Good luck though, wish you the best and would love to see an English Electric Lightning in DCS!

Licensing is not needed if the aircrafts' company had no part in the projects' developments.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Don't start more than one project and don't advertise other ideas if you are serious.

Tu-22M3 would take you good years to do if you are starting tomorrow. Follow LNS path at least until release... meaning plan better support after.

And you should change the name of the thread in "wanted programmer(s)". Without them you will only build a boring mod.

Tu-22M3 rocks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Nothing is going to happen without ED's approval. Like I said, I e-mailed ED about the topic, and they said maybe, demonstrate some abilities first. One of those 'abilities' is 3D modeling, and that is my weak point. Programming, flight dynamics, engine dynamics, systems are my strong points. This is a big idea, so I'm trying to gather some 3D talent and present more of a team (and a more rounded one at that), not just one person, to ED. Far more realistic than trying to do everything myself.

My thanks to ED for not slamming the door in my face as a noob. They set some objectives for me that I can definitely demonstrate minus, you know, the whole 3D thing. Minor detail.

Brian

And, BTW, 'Wanted: programmers'.

Might as well add...

Wanted: Tupolev OKB design data and flight test notes, translated

Wanted: Tu-22M3 sim time with English speaking IP

Wanted: Tu-22M3 pilot, bombardier-navigator, and EW operator, all fluent in English

Wanted: 36 hours in a day

Edited by brianacooper11