Night - not so dark? (Rift)

Flamin_Squirrel

So a couple of patches and nothings changed.

Is there any consensus on what the issue (if any) is?

Left/right eye lighting is still bugged I notice.

Some of the VR bugs have not even been marked as reported yet in the beta forum section in spite of several requests. The latest beta was far too short. Many issues which needed to be addressed were not and have now made it into the release version. Now it's a waiting game to see when they might be fixed.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

• 4 weeks later...

So the offset lighting has been fixed, which is good.

The night time ambience is still as it was though. Even without a moon, it's still possible to fly low level VFR in the dead of night. The stars are way too bright still too.It's almost like someone's turned the gamma right up, just for the Rift, and it really spoils the experience.

Has anyone picked up any news on whether this is being looked into?

As far as star size, you can edit the variable starSize in \Bazar\shaders\star.fx to maybe 250.0(my setting) or somewhat larger. I haven't found any way to make the terrain darker - and water is a weird color as well.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Did they fix the smudgieness? Edit the LUA for your stars and make them a lot smaller. Mine are at ~250 as well.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

try Taking Oculus HMD out of Direct Display Mode and running color calibration on it as a extended unit, then re-enabling it.

(while on the desktop).

EDIT: Does not Work, once Direct Mode is Re-Enabled the Color is controlled by another Profile.

32-bit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\DirectDisplayConfig.exe off

C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\DirectDisplayConfig.exe on

or 64-bit

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\DirectDisplayConfig.exe off

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\DirectDisplayConfig.exe on

The commands work, as I can enable rift as an extended display, just cant verify via remote connection if the calibration is possible.

do NOT attempt to change resolutions and refresh rates...

I do know that i have a few Ultra HD Video Files, they play back with superb contrast ratio on my normal screens (all of which are calibrated), but they appear a bit brighter (noticeably brighter) on the rift.

Might not work, as the settings are likely re-set when you go back to direct mode, and extended mode is only there for support, games wont run in that mode.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

When I update the star size in the .fx file, dcs keeps throwing an error on opening because the file won't compile.

I changed it from 1500 to 250 and just saved the file. Anything special you need to do when modding an .fx file?

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

But it is not only a VR problem, because the night isn't very dark in bad weather conditions on my monitor, also.

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals

• 4 months later...

Holy Moly!!! I just tried a night flight in X-Plane 11 beta with the 737 in VR. One of the best VR experiences I've had so far. They have done an incredible job with the night lighting. If we can get something like this in DCS I'd be very happy.

If you haven't tried night flying in X-Plane 11, do so now!

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
Not with the rift, as the driver hides the display so you cant see connection properties,

If Apollo Looks good then it's a DCS Color issue,

I'll give it some more runs and see.

Ive noticed that black looks really good in DCS, but land in general looks to bright, you can literally make out everything where as in real life, you wouldnt be able to see anything except lights.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Color banding is Number one problem for now :/

Very true, DCS needs to provide Dithering. This will resolve the terrible banding at night in VR, and also will improve non VR night as well. I just dl'd X-Plane 11 and their night looks way better than DCS night. It is great, DCS has a better Sky, in the star sense but I hope ED works on this. VR is only growing and especially for DCS users.

Part of the issue is the oculus drivers themselves as they have hard coded gamma settings that makes call scenes over bright. It is done to minimize the good rays from the lenses during dark scenes, but it makes night in games overly bright.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Very true, DCS needs to provide Dithering. This will resolve the terrible banding at night in VR, and also will improve non VR night as well. I just dl'd X-Plane 11 and their night looks way better than DCS night. It is great, DCS has a better Sky, in the star sense but I hope ED works on this. VR is only growing and especially for DCS users.

+100 this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

Bumb for this again, maybe normandy is better when it comes vr in night

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah night being too bright really takes away the pucker factor with night flying and makes NVG's obsolete. And I get a really weird pattern on the A-10C canopy too. Like it's stuck there vs reflective.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...