The Museum Relic Campaign - Need *both* planes?

Hello,

I'm interested int he Relic campaign. I have the Sabre already and would choose that plane in the mission. But do I need to buy the Mig-15 as well?

Thanks

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thank you, NeilWillis.

Apache600, if you get additional confirmation, please let us know.

thank you!

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I will not buy the campaign I don't want the MIG 15.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

I just feel bad for the guy who made the campaign, spent the hours and hours, thought it would be cool to add both the f86 and mig together, he himself didn't think you had to have both in order to buy it.

I've read what he replied and he wasn't even sure, but typical big business, there is no reason to make this campaign available only if you have both, you don't play them together at the same time, they are in a sense completely separate

come on now...give ED/Apache a break. It's not like they are evil corporation/people trying to rip-off the customers.

I'm sure it's just a simple mistake. If the campaign is about two planes, in theory, you can see why licensing would require both planes. Otherwise, you may have people yell "hey...I bought the campaign and i can only fly one side..what the hell????"

I'm sure it'll get sorted out.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

And who exactly told you that you need both aircraft to fly the campaign?

You need only ONE of the two modules in order to participate in the campaign. YOU DO NOT NEED BOTH!!!

This is the situation for all single player campaigns. You require only the module you fly in. All other aircraft are AI, and EVERY module is included in the basic DCS World package. There is no requirement EVER to own all modules available to use in any campaign, just the ones you intend to fly.

And who exactly told you that you need both aircraft to fly the campaign?

You need only ONE of the two modules in order to participate in the campaign. YOU DO NOT NEED BOTH!!!

This is the situation for all single player campaigns. You require only the module you fly in. All other aircraft are AI, and EVERY module is included in the basic DCS World package. There is no requirement EVER to own all modules available to use in any campaign, just the ones you intend to fly.

The shop says that pretty clearly: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/campaigns/the_museum_relic/

The DCS: MiG-15bis and DCS: F-86F Sabre are required to be installed and activated into the DCS World 1.5 for the campaign.
I own the F-86, but not the MiG-15 and can't buy it, because it requires another product that I don't own.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I stand corrected!

I'm amazed that the campaign works this way. Very strange indeed!

And apologies for the misunderstanding.

No worries.

To be honest, I'm not suprised at all, given how the module system works. I was rather amazed to hear that it's supposed to work in the pre-release anouncments, but haven't given it much thought until release.

(No blame on anyone. Mistakes happen)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yup, there is no way to add it to the cart.

The BUY button is not there. Instead you have the "Requires another product" message.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

For what it's worth and coming from a FNG, I have to agree with what has been stated, if I am going to only use ONE aircraft in the campaign, why do I need both? Now, if I wanted to play the other side, THEN I should be required to purchase a second module.

I am sure many of us would have bought the second module omce we finish the campaign and the "bug" to play the other role hit us, forcing it is a deal killer.

It seems to me to be a huge mistake. You don't need both aircraft to fly one of them, so this decision seems utterly illogical, and counter intuitive.

Very strange indeed!

It rather seems like a technical limitation than a decision to me. A limitation that hasn't been communicated clearly (between ED and Apache it seems).

Again, I'm not blaming anyone. Such mistakes just happen, especially if you're new to the business. :)

Tornado3 small.jpg

Here's my post from the "announcement" thread in case any of you may have missed it.

Hello everyone,

First of all, my apologies for a late response, I've been busy with real world work all day.

Secondly, I was able to get a hold of Wags, and unfortunately my fears about compatibility are true. As of right now, you must own both the MiG-15 and F-86 modules in order to play this campaign. I want to reassure everyone that this is, in no way, a ploy by ED to force a purchase of an aircraft you may not want. Rather, this is a miscommunication during our initial conversations months ago, and I'll take the blame for that.

The way modules, keys, and all that "behinds the scenes stuff" works,, is that since this is a campaign for two platforms, you do need both. Imagine there's a FC3 campaign, and you want to fly it, but you only own 1 of the 6 aircraft. It wouldn't work because you would need the other 5 aircraft as well. That's the best analogy I can come up with right now.

Rest assured that I am working with Matt, and ED, to figure out a way that I can get this campaign to those of you with only 1 of the 2 aircraft. This was my initial intention, and I will work to make it reality.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the current confusion, and hope to soon see it remedied. Thank you all, for your understanding.

With my little FC3 example from the post above, it's not the best example, just one that I could come up with quickly. With The Museum Relic, you pick either to fly the campaign with the F-86 OR the MiG-15. You will not be intermixing aircraft half way through the campaign. However, if you have both aircraft, you can choose which plane you want to fly the campaign with.

The problem is with how the campaign installs into the DCS folder. If you own just the MiG-15, then when the campaign is installed, there's no where for the F-86 side of the files to go, since your version of DCS has no F-86 folders. When you go to the Main Menu, and click "Campaign" you will see all the aircraft that you own, and all their associated campaigns. But you can't see campaigns for aircraft you do not own. Just like when you're customizing your flight controls. You only see the aircraft that you own in that list.

- Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

If it is true that one needs to own both planes in order to purchase and play this campaign, then there is another very serious problem. When I open up the E-Shop without logging in, I get the big red "Requires Another Product" warning on all campaigns, as is normal. After I log in, there is NO "Requires Another Product" warning on the Museum Relic campaign page in the E-Shop.

I own the MiG-15bis module, but I do not own the F-86 module. The only reason why I did not purchase the campaign was specifically because of the smaller red warning that says that you need the MiG-15 and F-86 modules, that one little "and" was my only warning.

I am fully able to add the Museum Relic campaign to my Shopping Cart. When I go to my Shopping Cart, the only warning is "Not For Steam". It appears that the E-Shop may only be checking for the presence of the MiG-15 module associated with our account when it comes to this campaign.

So if I had not waited to see this thread and the other thread, I might have assumed that I could purchase this campaign and play it through using only the MiG-15bis. Much of the material for this campaign implies very strongly that this is a campaign that you would fly using only one plane or the other. So it is possible that some people who own only the MiG-15bis are going to purchase this campaign in the belief that they can do so and play through the campaign in the MiG-15, and that the only thing that they will be unable to do is play the F-86 side of the campaign.

Man, having good communication can really be a nuisance. I DEFINITELY speak from experience...

Thanks for clearing up the situation, Apache. Can't wait to fly!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 October 2009

CGNR-1705 / USMC Cobra

Semper Memoria, Semper Vigilens

Here's my post from the "announcement" thread in case any of you may have missed it.

With my little FC3 example from the post above, it's not the best example, just one that I could come up with quickly. With The Museum Relic, you pick either to fly the campaign with the F-86 OR the MiG-15. You will not be intermixing aircraft half way through the campaign. However, if you have both aircraft, you can choose which plane you want to fly the campaign with.

The problem is with how the campaign installs into the DCS folder. If you own just the MiG-15, then when the campaign is installed, there's no where for the F-86 side of the files to go, since your version of DCS has no F-86 folders. When you go to the Main Menu, and click "Campaign" you will see all the aircraft that you own, and all their associated campaigns. But you can't see campaigns for aircraft you do not own. Just like when you're customizing your flight controls. You only see the aircraft that you own in that list.

- Apache600

Is that how it stays? How about dividing the campaign into two campaigns, one for each aircraft and selling them seperately?

Tornado3 small.jpg

Is that how it stays? How about dividing the campaign into two campaigns, one for each aircraft and selling them seperately?

It could create potentially opposite issue that those that have both modules would have to pay twice for the campaign.

The other issue with splitting the campaign that could arise is that it would double the maintenance as the same bugs would have to be fixed in two places.

I feel sorry for those that bought the campaign and can't play it with one of the planes but generally a bit of attention is always required when buying from online shops. The "MiG-15bis and DCS: F-86F Sabre are required.." note from in the e-shop should be rather clear as it's "and" not "or". Though I admit it could be stated even more clearly as for instance "both at the same time have to be installed".

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

It could create potentially opposite issue that those that have both modules would have to pay twice for the campaign.

The other issue with splitting the campaign that could arise is that it would double the maintenance as the same bugs would have to be fixed in two places.

I feel sorry for those that bought the campaign and can't play it with one of the planes but generally a bit of attention is always required when buying from online shops. The "MiG-15bis and DCS: F-86F Sabre are required.." note from in the e-shop should be rather clear as it's "and" not "or". Though I admit it could be stated even more clearly as for instance "both at the same time have to be installed".

I meant two seperate versions of the campaign in addition the the combined campaign. Bug fixing would indeed be more of an effort, but maybe not that much, if fixes can just copied over?

I would love to play this campaign, but don't want to buy the MiG-15 for that.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Why not dropping the campaign files into both planes directories during the install? It seems simple enough. One pre-selected Mig15, another with F86, each in their respective folders. It would possibly require more harddrive space, but you would get to play the version you want if you have the corresponding plane required without any hassle. In theory you retain single entry in the store, single key/activation/registry entry etc that way.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard