Completing the Air Wing

toni

Hey guys, just after the Tommy what do you tell me about a deep study onto the E2C/D Hawkeye ? No weapons I know, but could be an interesting naval platform, with full radar capability + data link with other Carrier and allied aircrafts.

Also, a wingspan that leaves little room for error in the LA, props that turn the same direction, a 2g limit, five man crew, and no ejection seats.:thumbup:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

While i'm sure we will get a AI modeled Hawkeye for the USS Nimitz DLC next year.I wouldn't mind seeing a fully modeled E-2 for multi-crew ops someday,like a payware FSX release.Controlling the AWACS radar wouldn't be too similar to having fully playable ATC,kinda like how VATSIM does it.And it would be funny to watch players try to park the aircraft on a carrier without crashing into other planes.:D

If Leatherneck decides to make an E-2 (which I pray to god someone will do), then please, PLEASE, give us a C-2 aswell! :D

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Flying an E-2 Hawkeye or C-2 Greyhound would be fun to fly with friends in multiplayer.There isn't any good payware models of the E-2 or the Greyhound for FSX or P3D.So a fully modeled Hawkeye or it's COD equivalent for DCS would be an interesting seller.By the way,does anyone know of any good cockpit pictures of the E-2 or C-2 because there's not very many of them on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the C-2 would be a nice idea, especially if it added some functionality like air-dropping supplies and/or troops. It would open the door on that for some heavier lift planes somewhere down the line and would lend itself to quite a few interesting missions.

As much fun as flying the AWACS would be, for the pilot it involves flying in a racetrack pattern for very long time, so not entirely sure about that full multicrew thing just yet - perhaps putting some autopilot on that and switching to the rear seat would be a viable way.

Very interesting idea, could literally be "game changer"

IMHO E-2D as a non-combatant multi-crew aircraft can really open up DCS to non-combat oriented virtual pilots around the world. As far as I know tons of people in the FSX and P3D community might jump at the opportunity to be an airborne ATC in DCS world and direct traffic and formations.

If I were you Leatherneck, I would start a survey in the P3D and FSX community forums to better probe their interest in this project.

Just my 2 cents.

Fiscally conservative A-10c ace.

Prefers GAU-8 in every situation.

Saving taxpayer dollars, millions at a time.

VF-6666 =NP= Squadron CAS Flight Lead

At this point in time we lack any in-game player-controlled ATC system withing the simulation, and such a thing would have to be created by ED before such an aircraft would be realistically viable.

I'm very interested in the idea of expanding DCS to many directions, but at the moment I feel the market for a non-combat aircraft is small among the already small sim-community. And as we know, many people might buy a module, and after the initial charm it sits in the hangar gathering dust. It would really require a dedicated group to operate with multicrew for the joy of others and you would honestly see those aircraft used only in something like the blue-flag.

And as said, the actual flying (orbiting around on your station for half an hour) is not good fun for most people. It requires a certan kind of person to get excited about being there, instead of doing there.

Now many of you now say "but I want it and I buy it. Means it is viable!". Ask yourself in all honesty: "How many other DCS-simmers would actually play this?". I want DCS to expand, but I'm not going to fly more than a couple of aircraft, and as the aircraft library expands, soon no-one can actively fly every module.

I feel the time is not yet right for non-combat aircraft in DCS. It may be for for bombers though. One step at a time.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

First of all, I think there used to be a player controlled ATC mod someone put up back a while ago and even a data-link mod that I myself use a lot, with the current software coding, you can actually export a great deal of data including targeting, etc, that is the reason why Tacview can show you your targeting, missile ballistics, etc. Yes this requires work to be done in the in-game front-end UI, but I dont believe it is a show stopper.

With regard to your concern about introducing too many planes to the small pool of existing players, here is what I think:

DCS community is only a portion of the overall study-sim flight sim community, and an even smaller one if you use a broader definition of flight-sim to include titles such as War Thunder、Ace Combat. I agree with you that the E2 module might not sell that well with existing DCS players because the current bunch are perhaps mostly combat-oriented. But I have a strong feeling that DCSW, if with a non-combat aircraft, can offer a huge incentive for FSX and P3D community members to give DCS a try.

At this point in time we lack any in-game player-controlled ATC system withing the simulation, and such a thing would have to be created by ED before such an aircraft would be realistically viable.

I'm very interested in the idea of expanding DCS to many directions, but at the moment I feel the market for a non-combat aircraft is small among the already small sim-community. And as we know, many people might buy a module, and after the initial charm it sits in the hangar gathering dust. It would really require a dedicated group to operate with multicrew for the joy of others and you would honestly see those aircraft used only in something like the blue-flag.

And as said, the actual flying (orbiting around on your station for half an hour) is not good fun for most people. It requires a certan kind of person to get excited about being there, instead of doing there.

Now many of you now say "but I want it and I buy it. Means it is viable!". Ask yourself in all honesty: "How many other DCS-simmers would actually play this?". I want DCS to expand, but I'm not going to fly more than a couple of aircraft, and as the aircraft library expands, soon no-one can actively fly every module.

I feel the time is not yet right for non-combat aircraft in DCS. It may be for for bombers though. One step at a time.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Fiscally conservative A-10c ace.

Prefers GAU-8 in every situation.

Saving taxpayer dollars, millions at a time.

VF-6666 =NP= Squadron CAS Flight Lead

First of all, I think there used to be a player controlled ATC mod someone put up back a while ago and even a data-link mod that I myself use a lot, with the current software coding, you can actually export a great deal of data including targeting, etc, that is the reason why Tacview can show you your targeting, missile ballistics, etc. Yes this requires work to be done in the in-game front-end UI, but I dont believe it is a show stopper.

With regard to your concern about introducing too many planes to the small pool of existing players, here is what I think:

DCS community is only a portion of the overall study-sim flight sim community, and an even smaller one if you use a broader definition of flight-sim to include titles such as War Thunder、Ace Combat. I agree with you that the E2 module might not sell that well with existing DCS players because the current bunch are perhaps mostly combat-oriented. But I have a strong feeling that DCSW, if with a non-combat aircraft, can offer a huge incentive for FSX and P3D community members to give DCS a try.

Exporting data is possible, yes. The problem is that when you play as an AWACS, Ground ATC or what have you, you would need that module to be playable within singleplayer as well. Taken the current AI and especially the simplistic nature of the whole radio commjnication system in the sim, I feel that might be a show stopper for a 3rd party. For ED however... The new ATC system is in the works. We have to see if that gives us more and better tools to communicage between players and AI.

I feel it would limit a module quite a lot if you'd have to play MP only in order to use your plane for anything other than convert fuel to noise. Or to give oversimplified commands to the AI who really does no good for you.

I'm hesitant to say one or the other of the interest such a module would peak in the "civil simmers". We would have to go to their forums and actually ask about it.

Don't get me wrong, there must be people who are interested. I just feel it might not be enough, especially given the limiting factors mentioned.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron