Is the L39 really that noisy in real-life?

Spacehamster

I thought it was pretty loud even in cockpit...

See video:

https://goo.gl/photos/kCKE3CW5P8fUSSMZA

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Bear in mind you are wearing a helmet so a lot sound in blocked. A mic from a camera isn't.

True, but the hear like in helmet option is there if you want to apply it.

I didn't think the helmet blocked out that much of the noise though. The intercom was essential to talk to the pilot. No way you can hear each other without. Kinda like having a vacuum cleaner running in the cockpit.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

how can a harley davidson be so much louder than a kawasaki????? they're both motorcycles! /sarcasm

i don't know anything about aircraft acoustics but i at least know it's got more to do with the structure of the aircraft and the design of the engine than whether they're new or old, and outside of the airline business there isn't much that dictates newer engine designs must be quieter than predecessors.

Edited by probad
added sarcasm label as insurance against the contextually challenged

My only experience in a running L-39 so far was with helmet and headset on, so that probably cancelled out a lot of noise. But communications without intercom is indeed pretty much impossible, probably also due to the glass pane between the front- and backseat.. and because I head a headset on. ;)

On the outside it was really loud.. like pretty much every jet I ever encountered. One day we had a jet-powered glider at our local flying club and even that little thing was loud as hell from outside, but really quiet from the inside. We got complaints from people living near but as a pilot you didn't notice how loud it was.

Edited by codefox

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Having spent 4 months working with and around the damn things,yes they are that loud..worse its quite high pitched for a jet and it has an irritating quality to it.The airframe is very lightly built and there isn`t much between you and the engine inside the cockpit or outside it.

• 4 weeks later...

I worked on L-39s for a living for almost nine years. I was also in naval aviation for 12 years before that. Is an L-39 loud? Yes, definitely. It's a jet, of course it's loud. But MOST other jets that I've ever been around are much louder. When I was in the service I was mostly around A-6s, EA-6s and F-14s. An L-39 doesn't hold a candle to these. I have actually heard of airshows NOT wanting L-39s to perform because they weren't loud enough. True story.

That all being said, when you're inside the thing and the canopies are closed, locked, sealed and pressurized, it's actually not all that loud. I wouldn't say you could have a normal conversation between the front and back seats but it's not uncomfortable at all as far as noise goes.

Mandellorian said they are very lightly built. I would respectfully disagree with that. The L-39 is a VERY solid airframe or it wouldn't be rated at +8/-4 G's.

Edited by brettt777

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

I was a propulsion engineer in the RAF and we got to carry out ground runs on aircraft.

The tornado wasnt uncomfortable when that was running, even in reheat, but the Harrier....that was loud. You were sitting four feet infront of the fan and it was loud. Used to wear a headset to talk to the guy outside and wear ear plugs to boot. Good fun though........

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.