Pushing A-10C speed above 290 KIAS?

VFA15-Juliet

Hi,

I am trying to perform some demonstration manoeuvres but I am not able to speed up enough to even do a loop (stall).

This is in A-10C. I am sure I can do that, but I am still very fresh to the sim world and aviation in general, any advice would be nice..

I am sorry to be a total noob at this point but I am studying hard to get my head around all of this..

Hi and welcome to the forum and DSC World.

There is absolutely no need to be sorry for anything really as the community is quite diversified.

I would recommend to start your study with A-10C manual included within your DCS module folders.

Flight fundamentals section will help you understand some aerodynamics basics as well as give you a glimpse of different speeds measured.

As for the question asked --

Aircraft configuration for all demonstrations will be clean. Meaning no gun ammo (set to 0% in mission editor), nothing under wings. Optimum performance is obtained when fuel load is 3,500 pounds; however, the demonstration can be safely accomplished with a higher fuel as long as the wing tanks are empty. The minimum fuel to start the show is 2,500 pounds.

Some time ago I had a problem speeding up past 300KIAS and was given a very nice response along with the document, you can find Air Force Demonstrations pdf there: (latest version)

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a3/publication/afi11-246v1/afi11-246v1.pdf

Also, watch out for difference between IAS as indicated by Airspeed Indicator and CAS mentioned in the above document…

Temperature and wind are key factors as well.

Let us know if you need further help…

Edited by Gierasimov
typos - fast typing
  • Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

A clean A-10 should reach about 330 indicated at sea level.

"Clean" and "at sea level" are very important.

Also yes, have some fun flying the A-10 with half internal fuel and no gun ammo. She turns on a dime!

Edit: re-reading your post, 290 should be plenty for a loop, are you flying with stores attached? Also, are you pulling the stick all the way back and forcing an accelerated stall? "Beeeeeeeeep" = not stalling, but close "Beep-beep-beep" = stalling, let the stick forward a bit

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

just happened to be here...

Thanks! That was quick!

...when you posted.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

True airspeed can be set on HUD...

A clean A-10 should reach about 330 indicated at sea level.

"Clean" and "at sea level" are very important!

...do you remember is CAS can be set to display on the HUD as well?

True or not...

I think I read somewhere that for displays the A-10 gets their wing pylons removed.

I saw this at an airshow, A-10C with at least end wings pylons included... Seems to be true here as well:

...do you remember is CAS can be set to display on the HUD as well?

Not 100% sure what you mean... I imagine there would be a very small difference between IAS, CAS, and TAS at sea level.

Is there some sort of option to switch the HUD between IAS and CAS? I assumed it would display CAS unless there's a major central air data computer failure.

Either way I meant indicated as "what you see on the HUD".

Indicated airspeed is the most important airspeed for flying the plane because it correlates with dynamic pressure. This means that for a given weight, the plane will always stall at roughly the same IAS, regardless of altitude (not talking about accelerated stalls). It wouldn't be such a good idea to set the HUD to display anything else.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It wouldn't be such a good idea to set the HUD to display anything else.

Calibrated airspeed is just "fake" (more accurate) indicated airspeed generated by the CADEC/INS if I remember correctly.

Indicated airspeed is the most important airspeed for flying the plane because it correlates with dynamic pressure. This means that for a given weight, the plane will always stall at roughly the same IAS, regardless of altitude (not talking about accelerated stalls). It wouldn't be such a good idea to set the HUD to display anything else.

However it can be changed in the cockpit. Set the IFFCC switch to the centre position, and on the HUD you will see a menu, including one for "Display Modes". Select that, and scroll down to "Airspeed" set the displayed airspeed mode, I think they include Mach/IAS, IAS, Ground Speed and True.

However it can be changed in the cockpit. Set the IFFCC switch to the centre position, and on the HUD you will see a menu, including one for "Display Modes". Select that, and scroll down to "Airspeed" set the displayed airspeed mode, I think they include Mach/IAS, IAS, Ground Speed and True.

I didn't say that you can't do it, just that it is not a good idea for safely operating the airplane.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Just checked the manual and yes, it can display Mach + IAS, TAS, or GS. I think I'm gonna use the Mach + IAS from now on, thanks for mentioning that Neil!

No mention of calibrated airspeed. (Which, again, is just a more accurate indicated airspeed which compensates for any errors in the gauge)

On topic: OP was reading indicated airspeed, no doubt.

I saw this at an airshow, A-10C with at least end wings pylons included... Seems to be true here as well:

I think I read somewhere that for displays the A-10 gets their wing pylons removed.

Pretty much all pylons are removed from Tactical Demonstration Aircraft, makes them Lighter and Easier/Safer to Maneuver

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just checked the manual and yes, it can display Mach + IAS, TAS, or GS. I think I'm gonna use the Mach + IAS from now on, thanks for mentioning that Neil!

You really wanna know your Mach speed in the A-10? I wouldn't wanna do that to myself. "Hey, look, I'm at point 35, this speed is insane! Any faster and the wings will break off!" :music_whistling: :lol:

Edit:

Coming back to Juliet's original question: The A-10 is a pretty slow aircraft. It has excellent slow flying properties, but it won't fly very fast. Like the others said, you'll have to fly with a minimum load (no external stores, no gun ammo, little fuel) in order to get it to fly (relatively) fast.

Anyway, while the looping is a very cool maneuver, depending on how new you are to flying and flight sims, it might be a good idea to focus on even more basic maneuvers. For instance, fly level turns and make sure to keep the bank angle and the altitude as constant as possible.

Another basic maneuver, boring as it may sound, is to climb at constant speed (let's say 180 KIAS) and throttle and check out how you'll have to adjust your pitch angle - the higher you get, the slower the aircraft gets and the lower you'll have to pitch in order to maintain speed. Then descend at constant speed and check how much you'll have to open the speedbrakes in order to maintain speed.

Or place a slow flying aircraft in the mission editor, maybe a C-130 or another A-10, on a straight and level course, and practice formation flying. You'll definitely need that later on. Just be aware that AI aircraft will turn like crazy, so if you want to practice holding formation in a turn, it would make for sense to go to multiplayer and fly with a human wingman.

Of course loopings, Immelmanns, Split-S, aileron roll, barrel roll, that's where the fun starts. ;) Just make sure you don't skip the basics. :thumbup:

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 1

You really wanna know your Mach speed in the A-10? I wouldn't wanna do that to myself. "Hey, look, I'm at point 35, this speed is insane! Any faster and the wings will break off!" :music_whistling: :lol:

Yes it would be useful. Some birds can exceed .2 mach in a dive. So you know when you can stop checking your 6 for birdstrikes.

• Like 1

Check my F-15C guide

I didn't say that you can't do it, just that it is not a good idea for safely operating the airplane.

Can't argue with the wisdom of your words Sobek. I was just filling in an information gap.

Displaying ground speed in the HUD whilst on the ground might get a few of us off the hook when the station commander has a purge on taxiing speeds however.

Honestly when I am flying the A-10 with TGP, 2 AIM-9s, ECM pod only and with very little fuel, I dive and reach 400 KIAS, man... I feel like I was in the F-15 at mach 2.5...

At the altitudes we tend to move mud, speed sure feels different than up there on top of the world, where the Eagles soar. :D

Besides, you'll rarely ever fly hard in the vertical in the A-10C during normal AG employement.

Probably true for most people. I guess you've never seen me doing AG employments... :lol:

Thanks!

Anyway, while the looping is a very cool maneuver, depending on how new you are to flying and flight sims, it might be a good idea to focus on even more basic maneuvers. For instance, fly level turns and make sure to keep the bank angle and the altitude as constant as possible.

Another basic maneuver, boring as it may sound, is to climb at constant speed (let's say 180 KIAS) and throttle and check out how you'll have to adjust your pitch angle - the higher you get, the slower the aircraft gets and the lower you'll have to pitch in order to maintain speed. Then descend at constant speed and check how much you'll have to open the speedbrakes in order to maintain speed.

Or place a slow flying aircraft in the mission editor, maybe a C-130 or another A-10, on a straight and level course, and practice formation flying. You'll definitely need that later on. Just be aware that AI aircraft will turn like crazy, so if you want to practice holding formation in a turn, it would make for sense to go to multiplayer and fly with a human wingman.

Of course loopings, Immelmanns, Split-S, aileron roll, barrel roll, that's where the fun starts. ;) Just make sure you don't skip the basics. :thumbup:

Yes, this is what I am doing and what I want to do, it is going to be quite some time before my first attack runs...

Juliet