Shooted down in flame through the trees

Hi

I've tried a mission with a group of s tanks shilkas in maximal alert, to hit with my SA-342. Even if i'm hidden behind a forest, the enemy shilkas are detecting me and i'm shooted down in flame as if the trees do not exist. I can understand that they can see me with IR detector but SA-342 has an IR detector too and i can't see through trees. I can understand that a few trees can be destroyed by the shells of a shilka but not a complete forest so the fight is inequal. I'm absolutly sure that it was a shilka because i've seen the tracer shells coming through the trees.

Is it due to the fact that i use a texture terrain mod (Starway Black Sea) and that the trees do not exist without this mod and so, not listed as a shield in the original map ?

Thanks !

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

AI can see through solid objects.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

No hope to win against that. I regret to have bought Sa-342 if there is no chance to win against AI.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

Shilkas are pretty lethal, one helo wouldn't stand a chance against "a group...in maximal alert."

Try it when they're not so frisky. And maybe make it 1-v-1.

After learning how to survive and conquer one, you can complicate things if you wish.

You can't just orbit at 25,000' like the A-10.

In first, i'm not sure that the Gazelle can reach 25000 ft and i remember you that the "hot" missile is limited to 4,2 kilometers ( around 2,3 NM )

In first, i'm not sure that the Gazelle can reach 25000 ft and i remember you that the "hot" missile is limited to 4,2 kilometers ( around 2,3 NM )

Correct. You need to know that a) the AI takes much longer to detect you if you come from their rear, b) all units in a group communicate with each other aka see enemy that is seen by any group member. So do not place units of a group in circles that cover 360° etc.

The Zsu-23-Shilka has a radar and is a pretty lethal enemy for a lone helicopter.

The Zsu-23-2 AAA gun is less effective, and I would recommend to start with normal vehicles tanks etc.

The Shilka was build to defend armor against threats from low flying anti-tank aircraft specifically helicopters and CAS aircraft. You can expect it to perform quite good in its designated role. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

AI can see through solid objects.

Seems they can't detect each other through buildings anymore. Just ran a mission yesterday where the hostile units clearly had no knowledge of each other when there was a large building between them, but only engaged when they had a direct line of sight/fire. And the distance between them was minimal, too; they were literally on the opposing sides of the building before the engagement.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

...i'm shooted down in flame as if the trees do not exist....
Welcome to DCS World, honey.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Mafauasu

Your solution is available for single mission but if you try the havoc server multiplayer session and try to shoot some tanks in the hard zone, they detect you even behind a building.

Mafauasu

Your solution is available for single mission but if you try the havoc server multiplayer session and try to shoot some tanks in the hard zone, they detect you even behind a building.

you can run this on a multiplayer server. the host have to do it. we tried this a few times and it works. but not with the IC :smilewink:

It's currently dont be that usefull to fly day attacks with the limitations of the AI, the HOT is lunching slightly upwards you can hide behind buildings and Hills where Hill defently working at the best, only climb enough your Viviane Sight have vision lock the Target and fire but littel bit Training for the best altitude and cover for unseen Fire Solution..

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

The buildings have always been a good way to hide from the enemy in the caucasus map, for as long as I can remember. SP or MP. And the trees have always been transparent to AI. Hint: buildings are collidable, trees are not. Guess that's related. Transparent and non collidable trees have been a major complain from users the day an helicopter module came out (2009), but this is about to change with the updated caucasus map. If you play with the nevada map, you'll see you can perfectly hide behind tree lines and also crash into them. One thing though that I will be missing about non collidable trees is in PvP MP games. A SA342 flying into the trees are totally undetectable by other players.