F-86 "Super Sabre" Weapons Upgrade for Vietnam Missions!

ChUWsg3.jpg

Hi all!

Nothing too special here, but I thought some may enjoy so I'm posting it up. I've made a mod giving the F-86 very similar capability weapons wise to the F-100 Super Sabre. The upgrades include M151 Rockets on up to 6 pylons, Mk 82s on up to 4 pylons, and the AGM-12 Bullpup (represented by the RB-05) on up to two pylons, usable by AI only. This brings the F-86 close to the load out options of the F-100D, making it a great stand in!

I've made a tutorial video showing mod install and a couple tips to use the weapons in game, as there is a couple tricks!

Lau file is included and install is explained in the vid. Enjoy my humble tweaks :)

I HIGHLY recommend the use of the following liveries to complete the package! I didn't want to include them without permission, but the download links are below. The USAF SEA livery especially fits this mod like a glove, and is pictured above! Great work to the author of the skins, Jocko417!

USAF SEA

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2310496/?sphrase_id=7067462

USN F-2JB

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2310507/

MOD DOWNLOAD LINK

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3mje6c2sv1e1tey/AACfVBjq4bjZJBhXfnou3Msga?dl=0

Tutorial Vid

${1}

Edited by Hook47

Great idea!

Thanks, Jocko! Great job on those liveries!

The mod should easily be JGSME compatible, eventually I'll start making mods that work with it out of the box, I just have to learn the JGSME ropes

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Storm, honestly if I knew how to do it myself I would have done so and given it to Hook.

~Rob

I meant making it JSGME ready. Its literally only a couple of folders. But help you better understand the process.

I wouldnt call it a "Super Sabre", lol... might bring up false hopes of F-100's..

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I wouldnt call it a "Super Sabre", lol... might bring up false hopes of F-100's..

Since the mod is meant to represent or emulate the capabilities of the F-100 Super Sabre, which is does fairly closely, so as such I put that in the thread title. I put F-86 right in front of it so folks would realize this is not a total conversion. I don't think there will be any substantial confusion or disappointment.

With all that being said, doing this small mod made me realize a pretty decent F-100 mod would certainly be possible provided that I could get ahold of a good F-100 model. The F-86 pit could be used as the two aircraft had similarities in pit design, and either a SFM version or version using the F-86 flight model could be possible. This would of course require someone to own the F-86, but if I can source the necessary models and know how this may be something I give a shot here soon.

Edited by Hook47

Complete with all the inaccuracies and mesh shaping problems as well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Ironically, there is a F-100 model for sale at Turbo Squid. Looks a lot like he one Skate was working on years ago.

I'd buy the model if I knew a coder would actually work on it properly.

My skill isn't too far off what would be needed to create a mod like what I mentioned above, basically a mod based on the Sabre. A full module or something like that is beyond my ability and time of course, what I could accomplish would be a F-86 pit and systems with a F-100 model and weapons based on what the F-100 had, which is what this mod is trying to accomplish. The issue with buying a model is, as I understand it, that doesn't necessarily permit free distribution of the model in a work based on the model, correct? I guess I should read up on how it works a bit, as I would be willing to shell out a few bucks for a good model as well, provided I wasn't breaking any usage agreements.

Didn't realize Skatezilla was working on a F-100 model then?

Edited by Hook47

Have patience...........

I already have two or three F-100 models.

One showing in sim without animation.

I will ask the ADC team if they will help make this a reality!

Back in a bit..............

Ok, all the models I have are very poor. They would need major work to be usable.

I spoke with Mario and he has no time for another project.

Sorry but a dead end here.

Edited by Hawkeye60

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

My skill isn't too far off what would be needed to create a mod like what I mentioned above, basically a mod based on the Sabre. A full module or something like that is beyond my ability and time of course, what I could accomplish would be a F-86 pit and systems with a F-100 model and weapons based on what the F-100 had, which is what this mod is trying to accomplish. The issue with buying a model is, as I understand it, that doesn't necessarily permit free distribution of the model in a work based on the model, correct? I guess I should read up on how it works a bit, as I would be willing to shell out a few bucks for a good model as well, provided I wasn't breaking any usage agreements.

Didn't realize Skatezilla was working on a F-100 model then?

This was several years ago and sadly never came about.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=109596&highlight=F-100D

I had missed that, I was in Afghanistan during that time frame sadly! Bummer the bird never saw release, the F-100 would be such an awesome aircraft to have in DCS. Did you create that model? It looked awesome!

Do you have any good recommended reading for the F-100? Like I said I could never make a full module, but I would love to create a total conversion style mod for the F-86 with an appropriate external model and weapons, and I used global security and wikipedia to figure out what to put in this first mod release. More information would be nice since I would like to expand on the mod. Planned upgrades for this current mod is more appropriate weapons, upgraded cannons to four 20mm in the correct locations as the F-100 had, and ideally an F-100 external model leaving all the other F-86 systems in place.

Edited by Hook47

• 3 months later...
I tried using the Mod---The F-86 no longer shown up in my planes inventory once I use it though. Maybe a bug with all the updating lately...

JSGME would be great for sure!

It is possible, as mods are kept in a new location if I understand correctly. I will examine getting it working on the latest versions soon!

The theme of the Vietnam War is finally beginning to germinate, which I am happy because I hope that there will be not only skins but also modifications of the aircraft of that period. F-100 is a good proposal, but I do not hide that I'm dreaming of the F-105, unfortunately I do not have any skills in this matter, I can only do some simple skin, but recently I made Su-17M4 to fit me better with the '' Vietnamese '' Mission imitation F-105

The A-7E (A-10 Avionics), A-E-2 (Su-25T avionics) modification of this page is quite interesting:

http://isva.clan.su/load/dcs_1_5_mods_aircrafts/1-1-0-12

But still the most serious problem is the airplane models, it is a pity that in this issue I can not use.

• 10 months later...

For everyone that is asking if this JSGME or can be I just combined this Mod with my own 20mm cannon mod that is up as a GunVal Saber Mod on the DCS website under User Files. Someone that downloaded my Mod pointed me to this Mod and asked if it could be combined. So, that is what I did and my Mods were already JSGME. There were 2 in one download, 1st one that uses the MG-151/20 cannons for the Saber that was maid prior to the F5 being introduced into DCS. Then the 2nd mod uses the M39 cannons and sounds that I made after the F5 was released. Now there is a 3rd Mod in the download that combines Hook's mod with my M39 mod. Hook, I put you name in the 3rd Mod to give you credit and I hope that is okay with you.

For those of you trying to understand JSGME it is really very simple. JSGME is just a file replacement program. So to make a Mod JSGME is all you need to do is duplicate the file structure from the location of you JSGME Mods folder to the location of the file you want to replace in that Mod.

For example: If you mod replaces the F-86.lua file that exists in the location C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamic\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\F-86 then is all you need to do is go into the JSGME folder (best to have it in the root of the game) so in this case Program Files\Eagle Dynamic\DCS Word then in the _Mods (JSGME Folder) Create a folder, lets call it "F-86 Mod1" in that folder create a folder called CoreMods then inside that aircraft then inside that create F-86 then in the F-86 Folder place your moded F-86.lua.

When you turn on the Mod you are telling JSGME, starting from the location of my JSGME Mods folder go into CoreMods then aircraft then F-86 and replace the file with this same name with my file i.e. F-86.lua. This is why it is best to have your Mod folder in the root directory of DCS. If my JSGME Mod folder was in the root of the drive, and not DCS then the file structure I would need to create in the Mod folder would go Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\Aircraft\F-86\F-86.lua

Edited by Alphazulu

• 3 months later...
For everyone that is asking if this JSGME or can be I just combined this Mod with my own 20mm cannon mod that is up as a GunVal Saber Mod on the DCS website under User Files. Someone that downloaded my Mod pointed me to this Mod and asked if it could be combined. So, that is what I did and my Mods were already JSGME. There were 2 in one download, 1st one that uses the MG-151/20 cannons for the Saber that was maid prior to the F5 being introduced into DCS. Then the 2nd mod uses the M39 cannons and sounds that I made after the F5 was released. Now there is a 3rd Mod in the download that combines Hook's mod with my M39 mod. Hook, I put you name in the 3rd Mod to give you credit and I hope that is okay with you.

For those of you trying to understand JSGME it is really very simple. JSGME is just a file replacement program. So to make a Mod JSGME is all you need to do is duplicate the file structure from the location of you JSGME Mods folder to the location of the file you want to replace in that Mod.

For example: If you mod replaces the F-86.lua file that exists in the location C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamic\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\F-86 then is all you need to do is go into the JSGME folder (best to have it in the root of the game) so in this case Program Files\Eagle Dynamic\DCS Word then in the _Mods (JSGME Folder) Create a folder, lets call it "F-86 Mod1" in that folder create a folder called CoreMods then inside that aircraft then inside that create F-86 then in the F-86 Folder place your moded F-86.lua.

When you turn on the Mod you are telling JSGME, starting from the location of my JSGME Mods folder go into CoreMods then aircraft then F-86 and replace the file with this same name with my file i.e. F-86.lua. This is why it is best to have your Mod folder in the root directory of DCS. If my JSGME Mod folder was in the root of the drive, and not DCS then the file structure I would need to create in the Mod folder would go Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\Aircraft\F-86\F-86.lua

Thanks for doing that! I was preparing to revisit this mod and make some upgrades in preparation for a Vietnam series I am going to run for my squad. If some of those upgrades pan out, I'll contact you and See if we want to combine them. You took care of one pending issue for me by upgrading the cannons! One little step closer to the super sabres capabilities

This mod is fantastic! Would be possible to improve it a bit more adding this helmet?? (or repainting it on current model) It's the HGU-2 helmet, and will improve the realism look.

bpQjzuv.jpg

uuK7dRq.jpg

With cool sunglasses.

hR3FnzI.jpg

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I had missed that, I was in Afghanistan during that time frame sadly! Bummer the bird never saw release, the F-100 would be such an awesome aircraft to have in DCS. Did you create that model? It looked awesome!

Do you have any good recommended reading for the F-100? Like I said I could never make a full module, but I would love to create a total conversion style mod for the F-86 with an appropriate external model and weapons, and I used global security and wikipedia to figure out what to put in this first mod release. More information would be nice since I would like to expand on the mod. Planned upgrades for this current mod is more appropriate weapons, upgraded cannons to four 20mm in the correct locations as the F-100 had, and ideally an F-100 external model leaving all the other F-86 systems in place.

This mod might give simiailr weapons caPbilities and there certainly are some similarities in the instruments used on the front panel. But otherwise it's f100 still has other features that would need a f100 pit to acurately emulate.

Like the control stick for the bullpup ( only some f100d blocks had this)

Autopilot

New radio sets,. , aerial refueling panel ( external fuel probe on exterior model) F100d manual also shows an/apr 25 rwr equipped super Sabres existed.

Rwr would be nice to have on a hun. Would really increase your sa in areas with Sam's. As a bonus this would espeically work well with an external mounted ecm pod(s)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=199225

You can preview f100 manual from avialogs This is very late revision from the early 70s., this will provide far more extensive information tah just wikipedia or global intellience

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/usa/northamericanaviation/f-100supersabre/to-1f-100di-1-flight-manual-f-100d-f-100f.html

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

This mod might give simiailr weapons caPbilities and there certainly are some similarities in the instruments used on the front panel. But otherwise it's f100 still has other features that would need a f100 pit to acurately emulate.

Like the control stick for the bullpup ( only some f100d blocks had this)

Autopilot

New radio sets,. , aerial refueling panel ( external fuel probe on exterior model) F100d manual also shows an/apr 25 rwr equipped super Sabres existed.

Rwr would be nice to have on a hun. Would really increase your sa in areas with Sam's. As a bonus this would espeically work well with an external mounted ecm pod(s)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=199225

You can preview f100 manual from avialogs This is very late revision from the early 70s., this will provide far more extensive information tah just wikipedia or global intellience

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/usa/northamericanaviation/f-100supersabre/to-1f-100di-1-flight-manual-f-100d-f-100f.html

Yes I'm aware of the major differences between the types, but my skills as a modder are still limited due to the amount of time I can put into modding. I certainly don't have the ability to create a new F 100 pit, but if I came across a good usable F 100 model, swapping it for the F 86 model might be doable, and using the F 86 pit would in my opinion be close enough to suspend disbelief.