Harrier Training Missions

baltic_dragon

I just finished it yesterday, need to do some tests and prepare the checklists, but soon. Two features are still not implemented in the sim but I think I won’t be waiting for them.

Hey Dragon,

I really like the way you make use of the "Space Button" to advance the lesson. Seems like a great way to edit in new features and changes in procedures.

Looking forward to new releases.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Hey, thanks. Actually it changes from mission to mission, in cold start and take off ones I am using the sim to detect that you pressed some of the buttons or set nozzles to certain angle etc. But it will always wait for you to do those things before moving on.

In that case, account for the fact that people have toe brakes. I have the issue with the Heatblur Viggen "Taxi and Takeoff Mission", where they're waiting for a button push to release parking brake. I don't have brakes mapped to a key so that breaks the mission.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Is there is a way to keep the instructions on-screen until the space bar is pressed or the control is clicked?

Often times the instructions just time out and fade away while I'm looking something up on my tablet or have spent time setting up controls.

Edited by wowbagger

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Is there is a way to keep the instructions on-screen until the space bar is pressed or the control is clicked?

Often times the instructions just time out and fade away while I'm looking something up on my tablet or have spend time setting up controls.

Been posted about many times here for all modules. The Hornet is the worst at the moment. The text disappears before it's possible to read it far less do the instructions! Very, very frustrating.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Been posted about many times here for all modules. The Hornet is the worst at the moment. The text disappears before it's possible to read it far less do the instructions! Very, very frustrating.

Okay, I'm pretty new here and didn't realize it was a long standing gripe. Seems an easy thing to fix, at least from a non-coder, outside perspective.

This is how it is designed- each instruction stays on for 6 min until so bar is pressed or the highlighted button is pressed.

At least I know my time limit now. :book:

Cheers guys.

Happy Holidays / Wesołych Świąt

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Tried the new startup tutorial. I hope later they can make the cockpit a bit more readable in VR. The tutorial does a good job of explaining all the instructions. There are times where the voice over continues without you hitting a switch, for example when checking the fuel system and when inputting coordinates in the UFC. I set the north coordinates and hit enter and then the instructions came through to put in the coordinates for east. But they continued on about the magnetic variation instead waiting until I had pressed enter on the UFC.

Overall I think it works great, some highlights didn't go away until later for example the canopy highlight to close it.

I think the directions for the mpcd's should be a little slower and wait until user clicks the appropriate buttons. I got a little lost when asked to cycle controls and set stabilizer trim values as I was still on the engine bit failures page.

But I'm at least glad to have a working proper starting tutorial which I'll need to do many times over as I have been out of the harrier for a while.

Thanks for posting these and great work!

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Where do I find the new training missions please?

All I have are the MO1 then it goes to the MO4 section etc.

I have the latest version of the Open Beta running.

edit, Just seen elsewhere that I have to download them myself. I'll wait until they are released in an update, sorry to bother you all.

Edited by Camembert

Greetings baltic_dragon.

:thumbup: First of all I want to congratulate him for such a wonderful job he is doing with these tutorials which helps a lot of us beginners with this wonderful simulator and such a great aircraft as the Harrier AV-8B N/A.

My native language is Spanish and I use translators to communicate with you, it is not complicated, :( but when I use tutorials like this, it is difficult for me to understand many technical data that they place on them.

There is no way to translate the written dialogues of these tutorials into Spanish, :smartass: while I learn English ?.

Thank you again for this work.

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year ...

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVAT

Greetings baltic_dragon.

:thumbup: First of all I want to congratulate him for such a wonderful job he is doing with these tutorials which helps a lot of us beginners with this wonderful simulator and such a great aircraft as the Harrier AV-8B N/A.

My native language is Spanish and I use translators to communicate with you, it is not complicated, :( but when I use tutorials like this, it is difficult for me to understand many technical data that they place on them.

There is no way to translate the written dialogues of these tutorials into Spanish, :smartass: while I learn English ?.

Thank you again for this work.

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year ...

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately I cannot do it but if there is someone who’d be willing to dedicate some time and do the translation, it would be doable of course.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I checked the full start / M2, it's great so far!

I agree with sze5003, the rate is pretty fast and the first time I was easily lost on a few items, including the alignment (the behaviour of the numpad was a bit strange, at first it wouldn't let me enter latitude, and only W longitude, not sure why).

It seems you did extra work to verify the state of the MFCD state to highlight the correct button to push, or am I imagining this?

I also liked the Easter egg at the end ;)

A couple of items, though I'm not entirely sure and I didn't have the time to run through it a second time:

- the cockpit handle and lock stay illuminated for a good part of the training, I suppose the highlight off is either missing or with a bad index, I even tried to open/close it again but without impact on it, [EDIT: I had closed the canopy before it was asked the first time, that's when I got this highlight issue, I don't have it if I wait until being told]

- it says at some point, once the engine has started, that "now you can open the cockpit", which sounds strange, that's precisely when I'd like it to be closed so I can hear myself thinking ;) On the other hand, it was supposed to be closed before that, so it's not incoherent, just surprising. Perhaps when it's very hot, is that common practice to close it during the engine start-up and open it after?

I like the idea of a continuous training that doesn't stop after the engine start-up, if you can manage that once the module is stable, it's a great idea (I understand how you prefer to keep it split for the time being though!).

Looking forward to the other missions when I find the time! It's good news we get quality missions for this jet :)

EDIT: A few minor things worth checking

- EDP BIT: the instructions are given, then immediately further instructions are given on the DECS/shutoff valve, without waiting for the pilot to perform the built-in test, it may be confusing

- "Watch for the CANOPY caution light to extinguish" - it's not illuminated to start with (apparently it's only illuminated when the cockpit is closed but unlocked?)

- the instruction to cut exeternal power may be confusing since we're not asked to switch it on in the first place (or did I miss it?) - perhaps it would be good practice because I see that the battery is down to 23 V when we are told to start the APU, even without lingering

- "Listen for the APU to decelerate for 10 seconds before the GTS engages to start the engine" - well, further instructions are given right after switching the engine start, so we can't hear the APU noise, it's covered by the instructor's voice ;)

- same for H2O switch

- "Next, we will conduct a JPT Limiter check", doesn't wait for the test to end, the instructions "Cycle the EFC switch to POS 1." are given immediately, confusing the pilot again with the next item while he's about to start the current one (the instruction even go to the "Reset the switch to POS 2" without waiting, I still have to stop the JPTL test...). Or was it necessary to do both in succession?

- There were instructions before the "Set the barometric pressure", and after the trim to 4°, but it was lost on me because the text disappeared and I was busy with the trim.

- FLAPS: I don't see any FLAPS POS fluctuation during the BIT(?)

- "Pull the stick back and check EDP stabilator position at 10° up.", I only get 8°, but probably because of the 4° trim required before

- "request taxi clearance"... but we didn't request start-up clearance ;)

- "Even at idle power you can start to build up excessive ground speed", I just stop rather quickly if I remain on idle, even at 10°(?)

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Tried out the Mavericks and sidearm mission.

Did both the long and short versions.

So one thing I think should be tweaked is maybe try to cover the use of the dmt and Maverick target pod during the ride to waypoint 1. Or pop the smoke when you are in the middle of waypoint two and start discussing how to slew the dmt and other functions when the smoke is visible in the area.

What happens is we start getting instructions pretty soon after we reach waypoint 2 to uncage and slew the Maverick/DMT to a Target but there is no smoke showing up until you are pretty close to the target area. This confuses the pilot because now you have to reset everything and slew to the correct area with the dmt then slave to the Maverick. Then we are given more instructions while very close to the target area and I think a newcomer would have issues following all the commands at first.

I circled around and was able to pick a truck on the airfield with the dmt. But then I pressed tms up once to change to irmav. Pressing tdc did not lock the mav crosshairs for me.

This is probably because we were never told to select master arm on. Although I tried it again with master arm mode on and ready status Mavericks but my tdc action button didn't lock the target up for a firing solution.

I think it's very informational and covers a lot. Everything is there I think the timing on when to cover what instructions could be a little better.

Maybe have the mission active pause when we get to see the smoke and go over the selecting a Target and slewing controls there. Otherwise by the time I start seeing the smoke on the airfield, I feel too close to follow all the instructions for targeting with the systems and acquiring a lock.

I recommend others use an actual slew control with axis too. Using the tdc left, right, etc makes slewing extremely difficult. I'm using the slew nub on my warthog throttle and I probably need to tweak the sensitivity a bit as well as invert the y axis.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I finally was able to release my Mavericks yesterday. I ended up taking out three tanks and didn't realize that you are suppose to fire when the instructor tells you to press the pickle button. Thus all I had left was the laser mav which I didn't get to use because the tutorial instructions were still waiting for me to press fire on the IR Maverick.

Will try out the guns and rockets tutorial later when I get a chance. These are gonna end up being some great tutorials which I feel are much needed for this airframe.

@Baltic_Dragon, great job friend... to be honest, I've been looking at trying to learn more about mission building to try and help out, if you have any resources to help out, let me know so I can help out.

Keep up the great work in any case.

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t have anything useful, but if you have any questions regarding the ME, shoot- preferably via my FB page.

These missions are awesome. Do you know when TM03 will be out? Also I only see 1,2,4 and 7 in the training zip file. I don't see a 14. Thanks for the hard work! I'll keep running the missions.

It is going through some final tests- aiming for next week. As for the other ones try this link. Cheers!

Yeah there should be instructor voice and I am pretty sure there is one - nobody reported any problems so far. But I will check at my end.

As for NTTR, not too many people own the map so at least the initial version of training has to be in the Caucasus, although I agree that Nevada would make more sense and would be more climatic.