Very good cockpit vid w/ HUD and pilot commentary

JIMJAM

I know we have all seen many Harrier vids but I stumbled across this one that not only has cockpit and external views but also the pilot talks you through his routine along with hud views. He covers all of the well known Harrier maneuvers. Watching him calling out his intended altitudes,headings, speed etc and NAILING them is impressive. Good watch...

Not sure about the rules posting YT links so search -

Shoreham Airshow 2000 - BAe Harrier GR7 - Flt Lt Dave Haines

WTH- The link.

Edited by JIMJAM

I know we have all seen many Harrier vids but I stumbled across this one that not only has cockpit and external views but also the pilot talks you through his routine along with hud views. He covers all of the well known Harrier maneuvers. Watching him calling out his intended altitudes,headings, speed etc and NAILING them is impressive. Good watch...

WTH- The link.

Impressive video, thank you for sharing it. :)

Something I noticed was see how fast and crisp his rolls are? I took off with almost no fuel, made my Warthog stick as sensitive as possible. The roll rate is much slower. I know its apples to orange but after mastering the Gazelle the Harrier handles like a bag of wet sand. So those with Gaz or even Huey time will be nailing small areas quick My fav practice is at Tonapah which has 2 square pads both ends of the runway, one fenced in.

But what impressed me the most was I flew for 25 yrs before injuring my back and ticket but had many hours in aerobatics. This guy was calling out 6 Gs like it was the time of day. I tell you 6 is pretty rough:wacko: and doing it in front of a huge crowd with cameras in the pit and carrying on a conversation was boss. I mean stuff like 6+ G max turn into a inverted 100 ft pass center field into a vert climb and roll out with 2 degrees and 50 ft...... Its why he is in that pit.

Edited by JIMJAM

Yes. Its one of the best video with Harrier on youtube :)

Edited by Flia

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

I actually speak to Dave , I’ll pass on your compliments :)

Before anyone asks yes, I’ve been passing on stuff to razbam based on his comments :)

Pman

Thanks a lot for that, hopefully we can get a high fidelity Harrier module when the early access phase ends.. and hopefully you and your team can sort the issues you are having and come back at full power with the EF2000 and others great planes.

WTH- The link.

Found that on the day the Harrier was released when searching some videos of it, and it was impressive how someone has put effort to talk about their actions and reasons. Fun parts were comments about audience on ground :D

I thought first that he was more about talking to someone on ground about expected maneuvers or even speaking so people on ground gets to hear it via speakers.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Something I noticed was see how fast and crisp his rolls are? I took off with almost no fuel, made my Warthog stick as sensitive as possible. The roll rate is much slower. I know its apples to orange but after mastering the Gazelle the Harrier handles like a bag of wet sand. So those with Gaz or even Huey time will be nailing small areas quick My fav practice is at Tonapah which has 2 square pads both ends of the runway, one fenced in.

That is as well what I noticed, he made very controlled and sharp turns and rolls that I can't either repeat with almost empty Harrier. As well the Harrier he flies looked more like going on rails, instead "sliding behind" the controls. It is little difficult to put on words, but more like a driving with car on ice where you already feel that tires grip is low and car has slight slipping but the automatic safety systems doesn't register anything and doesn't react as there is enough grip to the ice road.

But what impressed me the most was I flew for 25 yrs before injuring my back and ticket but had many hours in aerobatics. This guy was calling out 6 Gs like it was the time of day. I tell you 6 is pretty rough:wacko: and doing it in front of a huge crowd with cameras in the pit and carrying on a conversation was boss. I mean stuff like 6+ G max turn into a inverted 100 ft pass center field into a vert climb and roll out with 2 degrees and 50 ft...... Its why he is in that pit.

Yes, that was as well IMHO impressive thing. 6G and talking like nothing. Then you look many other pilots in training etc pulling 4-5G and they have difficulties to breath and focus. And after even 3G many has difficulties to move and turn head or raise arms around (why the HOTAS is is so critical in high G maneuvers so you can operate things without moving hands).

Then there are those new beginners who pull those 7-9G without serious trouble in G-simulators but even they have difficulties to see anything well.

Ie.

vs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7F6aJo1BIQ

The woman on first lost 60% of the vision and had grey out in just about 3.5G.

And how often we do see in DCS virtual pilots to pull continually and/or often high G's without any vision problems or continually just fight little bit against a black out effect? Way too often.

They are like all being some very experienced test pilots who do these air shows etc and almost lives in high G environment by doing it daily.

And yet when such people cockpit operations are seen like in this Harrier video, it is very impressive!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I was flying a Jet Ranger and started noticing I was having problems with my right foot. It got weaker and weaker and then pain started creeping in. A MRI revealed I had a massive disc herniation at L5S1 leading to a botched operation and 2 follow up attempts to repair the damage to the sciatic nerve.. Thats really low on your spine and a common injury for pilots from sitting long hours and/or pulling Gs. You will notice most fighter pilots are usually shorter, very lean and have big necks.

Flew a good 2 hrs last night and 1st to admit I rarely mess with stick values other than 100%. I would like to see if anyone has some ideas on getting the mush and heavy stick out of the roll rate.

Also here in central SC, during my flying mostly in the early-mid 90s saw Harriers everyday as I flew a lot along the coast and Beaufort Marine MCAS station is nearby. Have lots of stories and a 20% hearing loss due to them...

Saw one disobey tower commands NOT to hover but cleared to land at KCAE.Well he DID and not only fouled it with debris but caught the runway on fire which led to a multimillion dollar strengthening of both TD zones on both ends closing the main runway for a month. Last time they ever came up.

Edited by JIMJAM

Why is my Harrier roll rate so low (slick or armed to the teeth) compared to this video, is there a switch or something to make it more responsive? Cheers

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I posted that here a few weeks back ;)

It's a good video.

Oh - actually it might have been on Mudspike... getting on a bit, memory doesn't always SYNTAX properly :cry:

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I was also noticing how precise his control over the aircraft was. Nothing like what I experience with the Harrier we have. I write it off for now considering his real aircraft and flight time as well as the fact that ours is still very early on and changes can be made.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind