inputting mgrs in cdu trouble

itzdsay

Could you tell us a bit more about what you are doing? What are the coordinates you use? What is your procedure, as in, which buttons do you press in which order?

One thing that used to confuse me at first is that you don't press the LSK to edit something and then type in, but do it the other way around: first type numbers into the scratchpad and then select where you want them to go. Could that be it?

• Like 1

Figured it out I was putting a space in between the numbers and it was throwing the error. another question though some servers the jtac just keeps popping up but all it gives in reference to location is 2 letters and 2 numbers like MM28, what do you do with that information

Edited by itzdsay

another question though some servers the jtac just keeps popping up but all it gives in reference to location is 2 letters and 2 numbers like MM28, what do you do with that information

Can you expand the example a bit?

I've never seen the in-game JTAC "pop up", and I've probably never joined the servers you talk about. A screenshot would really help in order to figure this thing out.

In any case, you might want to familiarize yourself with UTM, MGRS and Grid Zone Designators.

Thats the grid ref. It goes in the line above the MGRS co-ords. For most flights this will not change much, if at all, unless you are flying a long way.

The GZD would consist of only one letter (as in our common 37T and 38T in Caucasus), but itzdsay specifically talked about two letters, as in MM28.

The GZD does indeed go into its own line in the CDU, while the entire rest goes on one line, like so:

[] 38T
[] MM2123489876

Besides, the in-game JTAC never specifies the GZD, which is quite cruel to new pilots who start in, say, Batumi in 37T, then fly east a bit and get a tasking in 38T, but with only "MM2123489876" their coords are hundreds of miles off unless they know to adjust the GZD before entering the rest...

I think this map explains the GZDs pretty well: The UTM grid

I know this problem, cause when I started to play with JTACs this happend to me often.

Just keep in mind the following:

The letters A,B,C,.........G in front of the following numbers is always 37T

The letters K,L,M..........Z is always 38T

P.S.

Right ?????

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

I know this problem, cause when I started to play with JTACs this happend to me often.

Just keep in mind the following:

The letters A,B,C,.........G in front of the following numbers is always 37T

The letters K,L,M..........Z is always 38T

P.S.

Right ?????

Might be true for Caucasus. Definitely doesn't work in Nevada. ;)

Figured it out I was putting a space in between the numbers and it was throwing the error. another question though some servers the jtac just keeps popping up but all it gives in reference to location is 2 letters and 2 numbers like MM28, what do you do with that information

A beautiful thing about the MGRS is that you can use them to give you a general area reference (if a more detailed location is not known) or a very detailed one that would allow you to drop a smart bomb on that location not even seeing the target.

Your example is the first case - if you are given a grid Mike Mike 28, you put just that into the CDU and get a very general idea about the target location. You slave your sensors to it and begin to search for enemy.

Hope it helps!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Your example is the first case - if you are given a grid Mike Mike 28, you put just that into the CDU and get a very general idea about the target location. You slave your sensors to it and begin to search for enemy.

Come to think of it, it might be the other way around.

When a player checks in with a JTAC, the player automatically gives his own position with two digit precision. It kinda makes sense, because that's a grid 10 km by 10 km; an A-10C, can travel that distance quite quickly (yeah, I know, insert joke about A-10's slowness here :D), but it's near useless when trying to scan for ground targets, unless it's meant as a kill box.

itzdsay, are you sure that's a grid given to the player by the JTAC, and not the other way around?