BFGD vs next gen Vive?

What is BGFD?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Meta Quest Pro 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Im interested in the BFGD too although I think VR will supercede it. Im sure the price will be epic.

I figure at least $2000... Should be worth it, I'd imagine it would last for at least 5 years... Has dream specs that could only be superceded by 8k.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is BGFD?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Vive 2.0 looks decent, resolution improvement I'm sure will improve the quality of the DCS experience.

I feel bad for the Vive early adopters being stuck with inferior hardware.

Opportunity and sunk cost. With the above logic, one could never upgrade the PC. I mean there is *always* something better next year. That's been the case for 25+ years, no?

And while the 65" looks beautiful, it's still 2D so zero interest for me. I understand the beauty of it, but I'd rather have the VR aspect.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

For flight sims, I'll skip the large 2D displays. I'll save the coin for a rig and VR setup.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Vive Pro

Screen: Dual AMOLED 3.5" diagonal

Resolution: 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined)

Refresh rate: 90 Hz

Field of view: 110 degrees

Audio: Hi-Res certificate headset

Hi-Res certificate headphone (removable)

High impedance headphone support

Input: Integrated microphones

Connections: USB-C 3.0, DP 1.2, Bluetooth

Sensors: SteamVR Tracking, G-sensor, gyroscope, proximity, IPD sensor

Ergonomics: Eye relief with lens distance adjustment

Adjustable IPD

Adjustable headphone

Adjustable headstrap

STEAM

asus p8z68-v gen3, 2600k@4,5ghz(w/c), 16gb, 1080ti(w/c), ch fighterstick/gvl224-4000-8, ch pro throttle, Oculus Rift CV1+Touch, thrustmaster tx

Vive 2.0 looks decent, resolution improvement I'm sure will improve the quality of the DCS experience.

The Vive Pro is not really a 2.0, probably more like a 1.5.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

65" and 4k ??

Pixel Density defines if it looks good or not, not the "2k" "3k" "4k" or "8k", all those pixel amount numbers are RELATIVE to the screen area.

65" and 4k will be very very expensive, early adopters need to bleed a lot to get it.

Imho, 65" fits an 8k screen, or better 16k. That is pixel Density

and btw, this is TWO-D only, for a lot of money you are still stuck in the old world, ehhh, no. Rather Rift-V2 or such with better PD.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

and btw, this is TWO-D only, for a lot of money you are still stuck in the old world, ehhh, no. Rather Rift-V2 or such with better PD.

Here's the new world, according to you:

Blog_4_Picture_2.png

TRULY AWE-INSPIRING!!!! :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

65" and 4k ??

Pixel Density defines if it looks good or not, not the "2k" "3k" "4k" or "8k", all those pixel amount numbers are RELATIVE to the screen area.

Nope. What defines it are:

1. Resolution
  2. Display Size
  3. Viewing Distance
  4. Viewer Eye Sight

To simple give a most common situation, it is this:

resolution_chart.jpg

resolutions-worth-it-comparison.png

What is the typical display distance? It is arm length, about 80cm.

So in normal desktop use, 4K (3840x2160) is totally worth the price. You can go up to a 40" before you would start to benefit from a larger resolution.

BUT, it is not all about resolution, it is mostly still about the content. If your content can't benefit from higher resolution as details are simple, then you can throw any display to it and it will look same!

A higher detailed content will benefit from higher resolution, up to the point until the details becomes too "sharp".

Example, look the Oculus "First Contact" demo, and it will look very good, great even through a Rift. Reason is that the content was simplified so much that the low resolution displays didn't reveal any weakness in details.

And that is what Eagle Dynamics and every third party should do to their modules, to make their aircrafts cockpits a VR compatible, by re-texturing and re-sizing some of the cockpit instruments by simplifying them and making that way them totally VR compatible and they would look amazingly great then in VR!

65" and 4k will be very very expensive, early adopters need to bleed a lot to get it.

Bleed how?

A 65" 4K HDR10 television costs only a 1199€ already. If you are ready to drop down to a 60" with 4K and HDR10, then you get it fro 899€.

But those models might not have great white-black-white refresh rate, might have a additional lag from HDMI port so unfit for fast gaming (that DCS ain't) (or trackIR).

And you get that basic 50/60 FPS max, that shouldn't be a problem for most.

In worst case the TV is two smaller displays together, so when you connect them to PC, you get only other side detected.... That can be very nasty surprise to some.

Imho, 65" fits an 8k screen, or better 16k. That is pixel Density

8K is four times more detailed than 4K is, that is four times more detailed than Full HD is.

Each step from Full HD > 4K > 8K is doubling the resolution. So you definitely are not going to want to have a 16K at all as it would be doubling the resolution from 8K.

Full HD is about 2.1Mpix

4K is about 8.3Mpix

8K is about 33.2Mpix

16K is about 132.8Mpix

And you still would have a DCS cockpit textures at 1024px and 2048px if not max 4096px.

Your spotting capability would be seriously engine limited, as 4K is already so, while Full HD is resolution limited.

Waiting Rift CV2 (Consumer Version 2) can be good idea, as it to be successful, it should get at least 120 degree horizontal FOV and about 110 degree vertical. But higher is better, but without compromise of optics blur.

Quote:

Long answer: There are two natural FOV measurements for humans: monocular and binocular. Monocular field of view is what each eye sees separately, and is about 160 horizontal degrees and about 135 vertical degrees. Combine the two eyes and you get a binocular FOV of about 200 horizontal degrees and 135 vertical degrees.

The sweet spot where both eye's FOV come together for an overlapping binocular field of view results in about 120 horizontal degrees and 135 vertical degrees of vision. This is also where you get to enjoy that sweet, sweet, natural 3D vision.

So if we would get a 120x110 degree FOV, I think it would be more than enough for majority. Add there some RGB lights to edges to blend the edge colors so you can get just a visual and illumination to edges and it is huge win win. Offer developers a API to use that surrounding RGB as information delivery, like impact direction or navigation hint, and it is even more WIN WIN WIN.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Being stuck?

The whole HTC Vive PRO is backward compatible!

Meaning, you only upgrade your HMD by buying a new one. Your lighthouses and your Vive Controllers are still there compatible with the Vive Pro!

So you just invest more, sell your Vive non-PRO as the Vive HMD itself will stay on market so HTC is offering two lines now!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Lol, I have fond memories of my Pentium 90. It was a Packard Bell system <ugh>.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Here's the new world, according to you:

TRULY AWE-INSPIRING!!!! :megalol:

It really is awe inspiring for me. Trying to dodge the sam, knowing how fast you're going, how high you are? The sense of flight? It really is awe inspiring. Or I could fire up an arcade game on a monitor that's no different than pretty space invaders in terms of immersion. It is the same technology after all. That's DCS in 2D. I actually laugh when people talk about immersion with 4K and TrackIR. But, hey, how does one explain the color red to someone who was born blind?

You're happy with 2D monitors and I'm happy with VR. All good.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It really is awe inspiring for me. Trying to dodge the sam, knowing how fast you're going, how high you are? The sense of flight? It really is awe inspiring. Or I could fire up an arcade game on a monitor that's no different than pretty space invaders in terms of immersion. It is the same technology after all. That's DCS in 2D. I actually laugh when people talk about immersion with 4K and TrackIR. But, hey, how does one explain the color red to someone who was born blind?

CORRECT

not even the best 65" screen with hdr and what not else can give you what VR does.

..and btw, Vive 2 is Q4-2018, long way to go till October 2018, till then the current VR's are what they are, the only ones around.

I doubt you will get that 65incher gsynced 120hz for 1k€, hello, wake up.

look at the price for an Asus 34" gsync hdr, roughly 1100€, I dont see why they shoud sell twice the size for less money. this will rather be a 1.5-2k€ screen imho.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Trying to dodge the sam, knowing how fast you're going, how high you are? The sense of flight? It really is awe inspiring. Or I could fire up an arcade game on a monitor that's no different than pretty space invaders in terms of immersion. It is the same technology after all. That's DCS in 2D. I actually laugh when people talk about immersion with 4K and TrackIR. But, hey, how does one explain the color red to someone who was born blind?

Knowing how fast you're going and dodging missiles are only possible with VR? Give me a break. :doh:

I've used VR in DCS. Main problems:

Limited FOV, like looking through swim goggles.

Blurry, can't read instruments.

Target identification difficult because of limited resolution and blurriness.

Screen door effect

Discomfort with head mounted gear

Stinky and sweaty head gear after extensive use (you might not care)

I'm not saying VR is pointless, it's just far inferior to 4k monitors out right now, and the gap will widen further with the BFGD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Knowing how fast you're going and dodging missiles are only possible with VR? Give me a break. :doh:

I've used VR in DCS. Main problems:

Limited FOV, like looking through swim goggles.

Blurry, can't read instruments.

Target identification difficult because of limited resolution and blurriness.

Screen door effect

Discomfort with head mounted gear

Stinky and sweaty head gear after extensive use (you might not care)

I'm not saying VR is pointless, it's just far inferior to 4k monitors out right now, and the gap will widen further with the BFGD.

No issues. Your opinion is no better or worse than mine. We just have different priorities. With one exception.

You CANNOT fly the plane in 3D space while looking at the SAM. You can't because our brain is *not* capable of doing it with TrackIR. You simply cannot create 3D spatial awareness in your brain while looking at the monitor. That's what I meant. Pilots say "if you can see it, you can defeat it" And that doesn't apply to TrackIR because of how our brain works. If you don't believe me, why is it that people FREAK out when they are standing on a steel beam in VR? But it's ho-hum on a 4K monitor. Because in the former, your brain understands 3D spatial awareness and on the monitor, you brain knows it's not.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Lol, I will never forget going through the Oculus tutorial after first hooking up my Rift about a year ago, and standing on that ledge as well as that dang dinosaur walking over me.

Even today I am still in awe by the experience.

Don B

Lol, I will never forget going through the Oculus tutorial after first hooking up my Rift about a year ago, and standing on that ledge as well as that dang dinosaur walking over me.

Even today I am still in awe by the experience.

Yep, it's pretty damn cool.

I have a 4K monitor and will probably buy the new BFGD when it comes out but I won't use it for DCS. If I can play in VR I will no matter what monitor I have. There is no comparison.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No issues. Your opinion is no better or worse than mine. We just have different priorities. With one exception.

You CANNOT fly the plane in 3D space while looking at the SAM. You can't because our brain is *not* capable of doing it with TrackIR. You simply cannot create 3D spatial awareness in your brain while looking at the monitor. That's what I meant. Pilots say "if you can see it, you can defeat it" And that doesn't apply to TrackIR because of how our brain works. If you don't believe me, why is it that people FREAK out when they are standing on a steel beam in VR? But it's ho-hum on a 4K monitor. Because in the former, your brain understands 3D spatial awareness and on the monitor, you brain knows it's not.

Haha, the I-beam !

I have had my fair share of laughing showing that to all the kids in our greater family over the Xmas days. Some where freaking out.

When I took my step daughter for a spin in the Su-25T she couldnt take it, fear of height, she had to get out and quit, that good it is.

Also, flying, pure flying, is way different in VR. I still crash for reasons I thought I learned 20 years ago, no, not in VR.