Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

A firmware update to make my force sensing upgrade better? Awesome 🙂

Will install tomorrow and test. Many thanks.

BTW: Do you still have a 3d model of the slew hat which fits on the Force Sensing model? I would like to replace my red hat with a new color. 

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

4 hours ago, Gruman said:

A firmware update to make my force sensing upgrade better? Awesome 🙂

Will install tomorrow and test. Many thanks.

BTW: Do you still have a 3d model of the slew hat which fits on the Force Sensing model? I would like to replace my red hat with a new color. 

Sure - STL file is attached. If I remember correctly the holes are modelled slightly undersize so they can be drilled / tapped to the correct size, otherwise the 3D printing process usually doesn’t give a reliable enough tolerance. The bottom hole should be drilled to 2.3mm, and the side hole tapped to metric M3 thread.

I still have all the CAD so let me know if you need anything 🙂

462 Concave Hat v6.stl

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

Many thanks.

And the updated of the firmware worked great. Feels a lot smoother and more responsive than before. Thanks a lot. 🙂

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

On 9/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Hello everyone!

Since we started making our slew upgrade, one thing that has come up several times is the limited axis update rate for the slew axis. It doesn’t update as quickly as the other throttle axes, which has meant that even after upgrading the physical slew the axis still doesn’t work as well as it could.

This was a limitation inside the throttle firmware, so couldn’t be changed by the slew upgrade directly. Other the last few months I have been working on reverse engineering the Warthog throttle firmware, so I could modify it to increase the slew axis speed.

I am pleased to announce our first custom Warthog throttle firmware version, which removes this limitation and runs the slew axis at full speed!

Delta_Sim_Fast_Slew_v100.tmf is released free of charge, and is compatible with all our slew upgrades, including the force sensor.

Please find the firmware file and install instructions attached for download.

You will need the Thrustmaster firmware update tool installed to do the update. This comes with the Thrustmaster Warthog driver package, so you probably have it installed already, or it can be downloaded from the Thrustmaster website.

This has been a lot of work, so I hope it will be useful to someone 🙂

Delta_Sim_Fast_Slew_v100.zip 6.61 kB · 180 downloads

Amazing work, and a great improvement. Thank you for your efforts. I have continually recommended your slew upgrade to other TM Warthog owners and will continue to do so.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Just installed the firmware update on my Warthog throttle with the force sensor. Works perfectly. Thanks for your work, Deltaalphalima1!

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

• 4 weeks later...

The slew sensor upgrade seems to be too good/precise for the harriers IRMAV cursor 😆.

There seems to be a bug where the IRMAV cursor won't move in vertical directions while there is no input on the horizontal axis at the same time. With the original TM slew sensor this behavior seems not to be that obvoiuse, since it's much harder to keep the horizontal axis still while moving the vertical one.

I've posted my discoveries in this thread Slewing problem with IRMV in Harrier and would highly appriciate if someoine could test it too and give a short feedback if the issue occures for you at all respectively if my workaround solves the issue.

Hey,

Could someone please explain briefly, how to make an upgrade? Do I need to buy this https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter

and firmware update?

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

8 minutes ago, IR Sky said:

Hey,

Could someone please explain briefly, how to make an upgrade? Do I need to buy this https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter

and firmware update?

yes. you need that part. the firmware upgrade is free and required.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

FIrmware Upgrade is NOT Required. Worked for years without it. But its neat and recommended.

After the assembly, all you need to do is recalibrate the axis in the official thrustmater calibration tool.

23 минуты назад, silverdevil сказал:

yes. you need that part. the firmware upgrade is free and required.

Thanks for the answers.  I'm thinking for the F-16, what functionality can be hooked on? 🤔

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

5 hours ago, IR Sky said:

Thanks for the answers.  I'm thinking for the F-16, what functionality can be hooked on? 🤔

Oops my bad. I did the firmware because I thought it was required.

I fly F-16 and it makes slewing a bit easier. 

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

6 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

You can read about it here. Scroll down for a picture. I'm not sure when it started but mine is Serial # 167720.

I have been hearing the rumors TM have update the stock slew, but that Amazon link is the first time I have seen anything 'official' , even if it's just a render.

Can you post some picture of your new version throttle? I would be very interested to see.

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

5 hours ago, BuzzU said:

I wonder if the new slew that comes on Warthogs need the firmware upgrade too? It seems to work ok for me.

The firmware upgrades IS NOT from Thrustmaster, so no you don't need to do it (in fact you don't NEED to do it with the aftermarket replacement slew either).  The new firmware was created by Deltaalphalima1 (who makes the aftermarket slew) to give even better responsiveness to it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

No cellphone? emoji848.png emoji6.png

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

No, no need for one now. I'm pretty much homebound now. I just go out to the bank and get groceries. I buy everything online. Gaming is my total entertainment. Hunting, auto racing, and DCS.

53 minutes ago, rob10 said:

The firmware upgrades IS NOT from Thrustmaster, so no you don't need to do it (in fact you don't NEED to do it with the aftermarket replacement slew either).  The new firmware was created by Deltaalphalima1 (who makes the aftermarket slew) to give even better responsiveness to it.

Yes, I knew that but thought it might improve the new slew too. Although, it doesn't seem to need it

• Like 2

Buzz

Just a request as I see that TM has updated their slew switch but I think if its possible that you can make the Comm Switch, that one gets used alot. My comm switch has a worn out forward position, I would be your first customer for sure, I already have your slew upgrade switch. 

• Like 2

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

9 hours ago, Burt said:

Just a request as I see that TM has updated their slew switch but I think if its possible that you can make the Comm Switch, that one gets used alot. My comm switch has a worn out forward position, I would be your first customer for sure, I already have your slew upgrade switch. 

A nice comms switch with 4 clear position plus press would be awesome and an instant purchase.

Also an analog, spring-centered radar elevation as an attachment is too much to ask for? 😅

• Like 3

A nice comms switch with 4 clear position plus press would be awesome and an instant purchase.
Also an analog, spring-centered radar elevation as an attachment is too much to ask for? 
Oh! Yes, bring it on! I've got the Cubesim attachment, and while it's good quality, it was not an axis, as I expected, but an encoder.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 4:39 AM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

I have been hearing the rumors TM have update the stock slew, but that Amazon link is the first time I have seen anything 'official' , even if it's just a render.

Can you post some picture of your new version throttle? I would be very interested to see.

Here is a couple pics of the new OEM TM Throttle Slew that came with my HOTAS Warthog.  I bought mine about 4 months ago, if that.  It looks similar to the Delta.

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

Edited by BammBamm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thrustmaster have finally updated the stock slew sensor in the warthog throttle. The terrible nipple is gone, and they have replaced it with a new one very similar to our upgrade.

It seems to be a ‘phantom version’ so if you’re buying a new throttle, there is no way to know for sure if you’re getting the new version. If you get old stock it will still have the old sensor in - but Thrustmaster seem to have been producing the new version since at least October 2022.

The new sensor is very similar to our upgrade (I wonder where they got the design inspiration 😉 ) it uses a similar style thumbstick, specifically a CK THB Thumbstick:

https://www.ckswitches.com/products/switches/product-details/Navigation/THB/

It is mounted in an injection moulded plastic housing, instead of using a front plate and screws to hold it is position like our upgrade, they are using one of the screws that hold the throttle together to wedge it in place from behind.

Nothing else significant has changed in the new throttle version, just the slew sensor, so our upgrade is actually still fully compatible. It just might not be worth the upgrade anymore for most people.

I haven’t actually been able to get a new throttle myself yet, but thanks to a very generous customer who has provided the below photos for anyone interested:

thumbnail_image01.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image4.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

• Like 2