We need to have a chat about memory...

Stacker

I would love to hear an answer from ED on this.Do i need to go and spend $400AUD on more ram to upgrade my 16 to 32 so i can play? or do i need to wait and this is a problem that you are aware of and are going to fix.Don't mean to sound Impatient but currently It's not playable for me.Single player stutters and uses a lot of ram with just a simple free flight mission with no other AI or enemy and multiplayer uses 15.9 gig and stutters so bad and eventually crashes that It is Unplayable.That's if I'm lucky enough for it to load into multiplayer.ED Please Answer me, i just want to play.

Edit i tried to attach all files as showed in bignewys video but it was too large and not allowed.

dcs.log-20180202-094902.zip

dcs.log-20180202-110844.zip

dcs.log-20180204-082153.zip

dcs.log-20180203-220911.zip

Edited by fatboy
Attach logs

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I ask a question here? I have read only the first couple of pages here, but has anyone actually REPORTED this with a copy of their logfile to DCS as a bug instead of just complaining in this thread? While a moderator MIGHT read this thread and report it, they don't have a logfile unless they are having the same issue. Please do due diligence and submit a bug report with your log file to DCS. That's the ONLY way you can be sure they know about it.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

May I ask a question here? I have read only the first couple of pages here, but has anyone actually REPORTED this with a copy of their logfile to DCS as a bug instead of just complaining in this thread? While a moderator MIGHT read this thread and report it, they don't have a logfile unless they are having the same issue. Please do due diligence and submit a bug report with your log file to DCS. That's the ONLY way you can be sure they know about it.

Sure, updated first post with my DCS logs.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

8Gb isn't enough for other games either, less for DCS. You have to upgrade to minimum 16, but 32 is becoming a norm pretty fast.

Don't know what your talking about, I can run plenty of games with 8gb, I just don't put all my settings to the max. Ram is going to have to get a lot cheaper before a lot of people flock to buy it for pure gaming. Biking uses a lot less ram lol.

I was inverted B)

Don't know what your talking about, I can run plenty of games with 8gb, I just don't put all my settings to the max. Ram is going to have to get a lot cheaper before a lot of people flock to buy it for pure gaming. Biking uses a lot less ram lol.

I fully agree...

I also ust have 8GB and is using other sims like, P3D V4.1, IL-2 BOX, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa as well as a bunch of the latest First person shooters, and don´t have any problems running these with fairly high graphical settings.

I coul understand the high memory demand of DCS 2.5 if the graphics where ahead of these games, but hey are not. Not that DCS 2.5 graphics are bad, but the memory usage is insane and in my eyes something is terrible wrong.

The strange thing is that even with deffered shaiding On, I have >40 FPS, but the sim stutters. With Deffred shading Off it runs fairly smooth, but then it looks ugly.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I'm getting memory freezes while flying online esp when new updates (eg. new tanks, etc) are added. My specs are below. I have 24gb RAM and a 6gb 1060 nvidia card. Otherwise frames are as smooth as butter. But at certain points it will freeze and usually unfreezes with me a smoking hole in the ground.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I'm investigating the general stuttering issue in another thread, a pattern seems to be emerging :

- 16GB ram -> stutters

- 32GB ram -> no stutters

Can anyone on this thread validate or not this hypothesis?

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

8Gb isn't enough for other games either, less for DCS. You have to upgrade to minimum 16, but 32 is becoming a norm pretty fast.

Bull, i've ran BF1, Cod WW2 and multiple other Triple A Titles with 8gbs on high settings, P3D, FSX dont even use close to this much RAM.

A10C - Block 5+7, AV8B/NA Harrier, F-14B.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

I'm investigating the general stuttering issue in another thread, a pattern seems to be emerging :

- 16GB ram -> stutters

- 32GB ram -> no stutters

Can anyone on this thread validate or not this hypothesis?

The pattern is that when you don't have enouth 1) Graphic Card Memory 2) RAM memory, you have shutter/performances lose.

1) When Graphic Card Memory is full, the drivers uses the common RAM memory to store textures and geometry, and must transfert data from RAM to CG memory more often, this is slow, this induce huge lose of performance.

2) When RAM is full, first, allocating memory become hard for OS, and it finally use the Swap memory: Your hard Disk to write/read data... Swap is terribly SLOW, even with an SSD, the access and transfert time is much more slow than from RAM.

The pattern is that when you don't have enouth 1) Graphic Card Memory 2) RAM memory, you have shutter/performances lose.

1) When Graphic Card Memory is full, the drivers uses the common RAM memory to store textures and geometry, and must transfert data from RAM to CG memory more often, this is slow, this induce huge lose of performance.

2) When RAM is full, first, allocating memory become hard for OS, and it finally use the Swap memory: Your hard Disk to write/read data... Swap is terribly SLOW, even with an SSD, the access and transfert time is much more slow than from RAM.

I agree with everything stated above, except that the GPU ram and system ram are used +- 50% so not the issue here...

METEOP

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

I tried to test the memory leak in DCS (singleplayer).

Idk if it can help finding the problem :thumbup:

Here is what I found:

RAM USAGE REPORTED FROM THE DCS BUILT-IN FPS counter ETC... (Ctrl+pause)

It should contain both the real RAM usage and the paging files usage

-Main page (default): 1.6 Gb

-Inside the mission editor (no units at all, first join): more or less 6 Gb

Here is the tricky part::music_whistling:

I begin looking at the map with different zooms and moving trying to "save" every corner of the map;

-Ram usage after that procedure: 8Gb

Then I fly my empy mission, hopping from an airfield to another one

-Ram usage: 10 to 12 Gb

So I quit the mission, and memory usage stays the same in the main page. After a restart of the client it returns to 1.6Gb.

RAM USAGE REPORTED BY WIN TASK MANAGER (only the DCS.exe process)

-Main page (default): 0.8Gb

-Inside the mission editor (no units at all, first join): 2.6 Gb

-After the "save" of the map: 3.6 Gb

-After moving the camera a bit in the empty mission: 5.4Gb

-When leaving the mission editor and going back to main page: 5.1Gb

-After client restart: 0.8Gb

I have 16Gb of ram DDR4 and 22Gb of paging.

Settings:

BuW5NWd.jpg

PC in sig

SILVER 11 | Dedde

DCS MODULES: A-10C; F-15C ; M2000C; AV-8B N/A; F/A-18C; SA342; CA.

Asus PRIME Z490-P Intel Core i7 10700K @4.9 GHzNvidia GeForce GTX1070 8GbCorsair Vengeance LPX Black 32Gb (2x16Gb) DDR4 @3200MHzSamsung 850 EVO 256GbSamsung 24" 1920x1080 @60HzTrackIr 5; Hotas Warthog; Thrustmaster TFRP; Turtle Beach PX22;

I tried to test the memory leak in DCS (singleplayer).

Idk if it can help finding the problem :thumbup:

Here is what I found:

RAM USAGE REPORTED FROM THE DCS BUILT-IN FPS counter ETC... (Ctrl+pause)

It should contain both the real RAM usage and the paging files usage

-Main page (default): 1.6 Gb

-Inside the mission editor (no units at all, first join): more or less 6 Gb

Here is the tricky part::music_whistling:

I begin looking at the map with different zooms and moving trying to "save" every corner of the map;

-Ram usage after that procedure: 8Gb

Then I fly my empy mission, hopping from an airfield to another one

-Ram usage: 10 to 12 Gb

So I quit the mission, and memory usage stays the same in the main page. After a restart of the client it returns to 1.6Gb.

RAM USAGE REPORTED BY WIN TASK MANAGER (only the DCS.exe process)

-Main page (default): 0.8Gb

-Inside the mission editor (no units at all, first join): 2.6 Gb

-After the "save" of the map: 3.6 Gb

-After moving the camera a bit in the empty mission: 5.4Gb

-When leaving the mission editor and going back to main page: 5.1Gb

-After client restart: 0.8Gb

I have 16Gb of ram DDR4 and 22Gb of paging.

Settings:

BuW5NWd.jpg

PC in sig

Interesting, we almost have the same computer, do you have stuttering when turning on the tgp and making low passes over enemies?

METEOP

As you can see in my signature, I have 32 GB Memory. I get stuttering and some full on freezing. I checked to see how much ram DCS 2.5 is using on my system. on average, 9GB. Highest I have seen 13 GB

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Wow It's working ! I just threw 16 gig page files at it and now it works in multiplayer ....better than it ever has. Loading speeds have tripled.

I increased the page file from 12 gig to 16 gig on the HDD, made another 16 gig page file to the SSD and also made another 16 gig page file to the external drive.

I can't believe it works so well now.

Thanks to who ever said to make multiple 16 gig page files !

Does using an SSD for pagefile wear it out quicker?

Interesting, we almost have the same computer, do you have stuttering when turning on the tgp and making low passes over enemies?

I haven't tested it out yet

SILVER 11 | Dedde

DCS MODULES: A-10C; F-15C ; M2000C; AV-8B N/A; F/A-18C; SA342; CA.

Asus PRIME Z490-P Intel Core i7 10700K @4.9 GHzNvidia GeForce GTX1070 8GbCorsair Vengeance LPX Black 32Gb (2x16Gb) DDR4 @3200MHzSamsung 850 EVO 256GbSamsung 24" 1920x1080 @60HzTrackIr 5; Hotas Warthog; Thrustmaster TFRP; Turtle Beach PX22;

It is hilarious how, because there hasn't been an official statements, you think that ED just hid in a cave somewhere and it is waiting it out....

It is an open beta, it obviously has problems, they are gathering data and probably working on it... you and your ungratefulness... Just keep making bug reports for more data

There surely is going to be some news in a weeks time, when the stable is coming out.

In the mean time, the game is playable even with a low spec PC like mine and meer 12GBs of RAM.Clear you graphic setting, make an autoconfig file for mp, preload missions and the ME and so on

Had to address some of the post on the previous pages. If most of the threads were about "Oh My God, they screwed us over", I wouldn't answer either, just keep working

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

It is hilarious how, because there hasn't been an official statements, you think that ED just hid in a cave somewhere and it is waiting it out....

It is an open beta, it obviously has problems, they are gathering data and probabl... -snip-

We're complaining about the fact that any of these issues made it past QA, that nobody bats an eye at over 16gbs of ram usage, stutters, lighting issues, shader issues, etc.

A10C - Block 5+7, AV8B/NA Harrier, F-14B.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

• ED Team
We're complaining about the fact that any of these issues made it past QA, that nobody bats an eye at over 16gbs of ram usage, stutters, lighting issues, shader issues, etc.

I replied to your other post also.

We did not see these issues during our testing, this is why larger testing with a open beta is important.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2