I thought FA18 had a hands off stick carrier launch?

silent one

I thought when launching from a carrier, launch was supposed to be hands off stick and automated. Is that not the case?

Silent One,

You have to set the takeoff trim manually (beyond using the TO Trim button). Here are the settings:

Below 44,000 gross weight = stab trim 16 degrees (MIL or burners)

45,000 to 48,000 gross weight = stab trim 17 degrees (MIL or burners)

49,000 and above = stab trim 19 degrees (Burners required)

This will allow the aircraft to trim to 3 degrees pitch at the end of the stroke IF you achieve the proper end speed. So wind across the deck and whether or not you use burners can make a difference as well.

Good luck!

Below 44,000 gross weight = stab trim 16 degrees (MIL or burners)

45,000 to 48,000 gross weight = stab trim 17 degrees (MIL or burners)

49,000 and above = stab trim 19 degrees (Burners required)

You do realize that there is a 1000 pound gap between those settings?

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Odd I do not have to set anything manually , at least in the carrier takeoff instant action.

I just put my throttle to full and in a few moments it launches hands off no problem.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You do realize that there is a 1000 pound gap between those settings?

Settings he quoted are the same i've also found from Natops A1-F18AC-NFM-000 Manual P. 351, so i'd say they might knew it when they edited it. And works perfectly for me, hands off launch.

Edited by Doum76

without lifting a finger (lift) even? :)

Correct. I choose the carrier takeoff mission, then when in plane I advance throttle to full ( hand off stick), it catapults off the deck and begins a climb out. Then I raise flaps and gear and off I go.

That is really all I do.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The finger lifts don't appear to be needed to go to full AB. Take a look at the throttles as you push the button. They don't advance any further.

Mine does. I couldn't even get to afterburner until someone told me about the finger lifts. I could see the cockpit throttle stop at the detent position.

It does. The only thing i have my hands on are the gear up and flaps switches. The plane goes nose up off the deck. Stabs to 12, lifts pulled up, full throttle, then hands off.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Holy cow!! this new module is making me a simulator crack head. If they add some pitching deck night recovery action this thing will never get turned off.

Turn off the sun and crank up some surface winds...

(Be sure to add a healthy dose of turbulence)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

You have to have the finger lifts up before you get to full military power then it will go to full burner. You can't go fill throttle then just press 9+0. It won't do anything

I might sound stupid, but what'S the difference between full A/B by clicking the finger lifts and not clicking anything just pushing my throttle all the way up and having 10 ft of flame coming out my nozzles?

I might sound stupid, but what'S the difference between full A/B by clicking the finger lifts and not clicking anything just pushing my throttle all the way up and having 10 ft of flame coming out my nozzles?

My guess is you are just barely getting the AB lit, but not all the way to MAX. I did a few tests yesterday and it was about 3-5kt difference at the same weight.

The difference is that one ought to* have some feedback to know you're engaging reheat, those that flew the pattern would probably not wish to be hitting reheat whilst trying to maintain a good circuit and not get too far off their numbers.

*In reality, don't mistake this for me advocating for unrealistic lights etc, I'm not. I am all for 1:1 cockpit realism, the throttle in the actual F-18 AFAIK has a mil to reheat bump.

Edited by ouPhrontis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

My guess is you are just barely getting the AB lit, but not all the way to MAX. I did a few tests yesterday and it was about 3-5kt difference at the same weight.

I thought it was going all the way up and i was getting away to bind stuff i don't have on my HOTAS. I was able to bind it on one slider, but now gotta find where to bind wheel breake :P I'll check my my CH Pro PEdals toe break works now, used to be an issue.

Edited by Doum76

The difference is that one ought to* have some feedback to know you're engaging reheat, those that flew the pattern would probably not wish to be hitting reheat whilst trying to maintain a good circuit and not get too far off their numbers.

*In reality, don't mistake this for me advocating for unrealistic lights etc, I'm not. I am all for 1:1 cockpit realism, the throttle in the actual F-18 AFAIK has a mil to reheat bump.

I'm all find with this, i just thought it was going all the way ip already, but seems it didn'T and had to find a way to bind it, at least they have the awesome idea to make a left, right or both finger lift.

It's pretty simple to check - how much fuel are you burning.

I get a flat 150 without touching the finger-lifts

&

I get a flat 150 with the finger-lifts

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

I thought FA18 had a hands off stick carrier launch?

Engaging AB in air should not require any operating of finger lifts, assuming realistic modeling.

The detent for AB (which requires finger lists to get past) it only activated with weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting

hook DOWN. When these criteria are met the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of

approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX.

So either it’s modeled to only “lock you out of AB” on the deck ready for a cat launch, or maybe it’s modeled that with ignoring the finger lift button bindings completely that you just push right through with 32lbs of force?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Engaging AB in air should not require any operating of finger lifts, assuming realistic modeling.

The detent for AB (which requires finger lists to get past) it only activated with weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting

hook DOWN. When these criteria are met the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of

approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX.

So either it’s modeled to only “lock you out of AB” on the deck ready for a cat launch, or maybe it’s modeled that with ignoring the finger lift button bindings completely that you just push right through with 32lbs of force?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that the F-18 has no finger-lift for engaging reheat, it's just a detent that can be pushed through.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64