Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

6 minutes ago, Brown Floyd said:

Alpen, can you check on the C-101 spawn points in Open Range? Seems like they start out hovering a few hundred feet above Maykop.

Just checked. They're fine. Must be on your side, or I should restart the server maybe. Will do tomorrow morning.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Just had some weird package loss on the server, which is why 20+ players were kicked. I haven't restarted the server in months so maybe that was it.

Server is restarting...

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Reminder:

Operation Close Air Support goes online tonight around 1800 zulu.

The mission features helicopters and the Combined Arms module ONLY.

Mi-24, SA342M and UH-1 players should allow other players to join their flight, rather than flying solo. Obviously, up to the players. Just an advice.

GCI / Combined Arms operators are VITAL in this mission! Give the module a shot. Who knows, you might end up liking it. And if you do, you MUST be on SRS to avoid confusing other Combined Arms operators. Remember! It's teamwork, not solo playing, please.

As always, provide your feedback, suggestions and criticism after the session to help me change or improve things.

Safe flying!

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 minute ago, Bolt1 said:

The Gazelle needs to have the L version added to this map also , just to be fair .

I kinda thought its absence would be an issue for Blue, but I'd rather run a mission with the default setup before making any changes. Wouldn't the AH-1 be the ultimate solution though? 😉

I'll see what I can do. Either more Blue tanks and/or Gazelle L's.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, Ian Boys UK said:

CAS mission issues - Red East FARP.

Hind slot 2 - No ATGM's (can be loaded by flying to Slot 1)
MI-8's - No door gunners

Overall an excellent mission! Really enjoyed it.

Would also like to see a Yak-52 as Forward Air Controller.

Fixed!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

3 hours ago, Bolt1 said:

The Gazelle needs to have the L version added to this map also , just to be fair .

Agreed, the 24 is too tanky for the Huey to realistically deal with (one resorted, ironically enough, to taran tactics to take Seal and I down 🤣) and the Gazelle L is the best solution to this. It'd also be quite handy for spotting I think - not sure if it can load smoke rockets, but if it can, that'd probably be a huge boon to the guys doing CA.

The mission was an absolute blast and was played fantastically by blue's usual star tac commanders MD and Count, though it was a shame to see a lot of the blue heli pilots leave so early. Not sure if they ran out of airframes or what, or maybe just didn't want to try fend off much larger machines with the Huey's popguns, which is understandable. Rockets are the better bet in that case I think.

Sadly my PC started crashing but it was alot of fun up to that point. Making up for reds being faster and more heavily armed was a challenge.

Stinger infantry was crucial in stopping them from just going high and fast.

However the only "unbalance" I noticed was the lack of gazelle pilots compared to mi24s. But that's just how it is with new and old modules I guess. 

How did it all end?

Huey. Intel X5660 4,2ghz, 24gb ddr3, gtx 1060 6gb

AJS37. Cyborg evo

Yak 52. Opentrack ir

KA-50

P-47

6 hours ago, rossmum said:

Agreed, the 24 is too tanky for the Huey to realistically deal with (one resorted, ironically enough, to taran tactics to take Seal and I down 🤣) and the Gazelle L is the best solution to this. It'd also be quite handy for spotting I think - not sure if it can load smoke rockets, but if it can, that'd probably be a huge boon to the guys doing CA.

The mission was an absolute blast and was played fantastically by blue's usual star tac commanders MD and Count, though it was a shame to see a lot of the blue heli pilots leave so early. Not sure if they ran out of airframes or what, or maybe just didn't want to try fend off much larger machines with the Huey's popguns, which is understandable. Rockets are the better bet in that case I think.

Yeah, the L must and will be added.

Blue ran out of helicopters way earlier than Red, especially, at the FARP's. They then started flying out of Fujairah Intl airbase and in time lost them all as well.

On a side note, Red lost all Mi-24's (and only to enemy ground units, not helicopters!). However, 2 were saved and even made it back home to the Red eastern FARP, but unfortunately, they landed at the Mi-8's helipads. The storehouse showed 2 x Mi-24's, but when there is no slot there players simply have no access to them. If I'd add a reserve slot at the "wrong" helipads for such a case, and with a bit of bad luck Mi-8 and Mi-24 spawn simultaneously, both aircraft would explode right away! It's an inconvenient issue and quite a limitation in the ME tool. The only way to solve this properly is by having the bigger heliports (the ugliest thing in DCS by the way) with 4 helipads on them, so players can land wherever they want on the FARP and the unit is saved. However, sometimes and even with having 4 different helipads on that heliport players spawn on top of each other and the aircraft are lost. Which is why at some point I converted all heliports to single helipads, except in the mission Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed for ME and scripting reasons, knowing that single helipads have their own limitations. Stuck in a loop here, folks 😉

9 minutes ago, Rover said:

Sadly my PC started crashing but it was alot of fun up to that point. Making up for reds being faster and more heavily armed was a challenge.

Stinger infantry was crucial in stopping them from just going high and fast.

However the only "unbalance" I noticed was the lack of gazelle pilots compared to mi24s. But that's just how it is with new and old modules I guess. 

How did it all end?

Overall, I was very satisfied with the infantry units! I really underestimated these tiny little creatures on a big battlefield like yesterday's. The MANPAD's scored a total of 4 kills for Blue and 3 for Red. That's not bad! But what really struck me was the RPG's. These buggers destroyed 1 x T-72 and 1 x BTR-80 for Blue. Red RPG's destroyed 1 x Merkava, south of the Blue eastern FARP. All it takes is 2 hits and the tank is gone. Each RPG soldier carries 3 rockets. 2 x RPG's in every assault troop.

Assault troops were mostly lost in open fields, which was a mistake committed by ground commanders while trying to move them from one town to another. But wait! Aren't BTR-80's and M-113's able of carrying troops in DCS?! Or do I need a script for that? If anyone knows, let me know, please. I'll investigate...

Red won. Red even had 12 x T-72's, some APC's and infantries here and there towards the end. I guess, Red tanks did enjoy the taste of some Close air Support more than Blue tanks did.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Folks, it was a great watch from a spectators viewpoint, the end battle with the red and blue tank was particularly tense, cat and mouse through the town. Great stuff! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 64Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090,

CONTROLS: VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base, VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R], Thrustmaster Warthog – Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR - Pendular Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control (For Anubis C-130 Hercules), Meta Quest Pro.

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11,

The RPG troops also downed several helicopters, seems they're absolute crack shots with those things. I would definitely love to see more infantry - as far as I remember the main reason for its absence was to stop chain capturing in some missions? Maybe there'll be a way to address that at some point, or just make captured airfields not spawn any units in so that removing the inf to capture another will neutralise it again.

Before I forget - missiles. Any chance we can get Rb 05 (MCLOS air to ground, can be used for air to air but very very bad at it), RS-2US (hilariously bad beam-riding air to air), and R-55 (RS-2US with R-13 seeker) added to all missions next time you make changes to each? They're fun weapons to use because of how janky and unreliable they are, and won't significantly shift the way the missions play out. The only exception would be maybe the Rb 05 could knock over precision objectives a little faster, but it takes considerable skill to actually score hits with. Some more diversity in SAMs would be nice, too... maybe some shorter-ranged stuff like Osa or Roland? I'm not super knowledgeable on the latter, but the former are fairly easy to defeat if you know what you're doing while still providing reasonable cover to nearby objectives. So far the only place I've ever seen them on the server is at Kutaisi on Two Towns, which is a little odd, as it's very unlikely anything will get within 8km of the airbase as it is. More short-range units like those while trading out some Kubs and Hawks could be interesting in some missions, and give the helicopter guys more to play with.

On the topic of helicopters, I'm not sure if you've been given the heads-up yet, but some science was done and we've found that the CTLD issue where one unit spawns in place of another is caused by those units sharing the same "weight" in the CTLD settings. If you change the weight up or down even by a couple kilos, it should solve the problem. It might be worth looking into what other settings can be tinkered with as well, maybe to make things like Kubs only spawn one launcher per launcher crate, so multiple trips become more necessary and the poor Hueys aren't the only ones making 4 or so trips to set up a single battery.

Edited by rossmum

6 minutes ago, rossmum said:

The RPG troops also downed several helicopters, seems they're absolute crack shots with those things. I would definitely love to see more infantry - as far as I remember the main reason for its absence was to stop chain capturing in some missions? Maybe there'll be a way to address that at some point, or just make captured airfields not spawn any units in so that removing the inf to capture another will neutralise it again.

Before I forget - missiles. Any chance we can get Rb 05 (MCLOS air to ground, can be used for air to air but very very bad at it), RS-2US (hilariously bad beam-riding air to air), and R-55 (RS-2US with R-13 seeker) added to all missions next time you make changes to each? They're fun weapons to use because of how janky and unreliable they are, and won't significantly shift the way the missions play out. The only exception would be maybe the Rb 05 could knock over precision objectives a little faster, but it takes considerable skill to actually score hits with. Some more diversity in SAMs would be nice, too... maybe some shorter-ranged stuff like Osa or Roland? I'm not super knowledgeable on the latter, but the former are fairly easy to defeat if you know what you're doing while still providing reasonable cover to nearby objectives. So far the only place I've ever seen them on the server is at Kutaisi on Two Towns, which is a little odd, as it's very unlikely anything will get within 8km of the airbase as it is. More short-range units like those while trading out some Kubs and Hawks could be interesting in some missions, and give the helicopter guys more to play with.

On the topic of helicopters, I'm not sure if you've been given the heads-up yet, but some science was done and we've found that the CTLD issue where one unit spawns in place of another is caused by those units sharing the same "weight" in the CTLD settings. If you change the weight up or down even by a couple kilos, it should solve the problem. It might be worth looking into what other settings can be tinkered with as well, maybe to make things like Kubs only spawn one launcher per launcher crate, so multiple trips become more necessary and the poor Hueys aren't the only ones making 4 or so trips to set up a single battery.

As you surely know, it's not unrealistic for RPG's to knock out helicopters, especially when they're coming in for landing. You know, "We gotta a Blackhawk down, we gotta a Blackhawk down". So, I like that too.

The chain capturing is one reason, but infantries behaving bad in terms of waypoints and running through buildings, fences, structures, etc., is the other and major one. Despite all of that, I really liked yesterday's session with the infantries being heavily involved, which gives helicopters yet a nother thing to do or worry about.

The missiles are way too inferior as you've said it yourself and that's the only reason why I never bothered to add them. I could though as there's no harm in having them. I'll do it in time, mission by mission.

I'm aware of the weight issue in the CTLD script. Units MUST have different weights, otherwise the CTLD script would malfunction in the mission. What I'm more interested in right now, is enabling APC's to carry infantries. That'd be incredible! Imagine driving an APC with the capability of deploying troops and then calling them back in and so on. The whole ground warfare dynmaic would change immensely!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Just now, LoneS said:

Thanks for all the efforts bro!

It says you have to accept the money I sent you for the server costs and my money has been waiting for 4 days to be accepted 😉

That's weird. I never had to do that. Normally, the money goes in right away without me doing anything.

Anyways, I just did and thank you for the generous donation! It really helps me with server's costs.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- Operation Close Air Support:

- Added 2 slots for the SA342L's -> 6 aircraft.

- The SA342L's take off from a third FARP, Warsaw, located between the two Blue FARP's, further north.

- FARP Warsaw is marked only for Blue on the F10 map.

- FARP Warsaw is not part of the objective. It has no air defences and no infantries to pick up. It's only for the SA342L's to operate from.

- SA342L's are primarily tasked with hunting Red helicopters, especially, Mi-24P's.

- Added door gunners for the Mi-8's.

- Added 2 slots for the Yak-52 for Red as a reconnaissance plane -> 4 aircraft.

- Added 2 slots for the Christen Eagle ll for Blue as a reconnaissance plane -> 4 aircraft.

- Briefing adjusted.

* We'll see how it goes with the two airplanes. I might replace them with the L-39 and C-101 while taking away all their weapons, so they only serve as recon planes.

- Work on a similar scenario of operation Close Air Support has started.

- The mission will feature the Ka-50, the Mi-24 and the Mi-8 for Red, vs the AH-64, the OH-58 and the UH-1 for Blue. Obviously, the mission will offer more challenges for both sides!

Operation Close Air Support will go online again this Sunday, 12.09.2021, 1800 zulu. Hopefully, the added SA342L's will help Blue repel some of the Mi-24's fury.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hi,

During the Where the mountains cry, there was a non-oncoms F14 Pilot AND Rio (i won't write names down, unless needed) which had fired 3x on us (in a F14) and teamkilled alteast one F5 (writing this post while flying).

I would be good to consider the addition of script where it is mandatory to fly the F14 or Mig29 when you are on comms (if this is possible for single aircrafts). 

kind regards

3 hours ago, Legolas said:

Hi,

During the Where the mountains cry, there was a non-oncoms F14 Pilot AND Rio (i won't write names down, unless needed) which had fired 3x on us (in a F14) and teamkilled alteast one F5 (writing this post while flying).

I would be good to consider the addition of script where it is mandatory to fly the F14 or Mig29 when you are on comms (if this is possible for single aircrafts). 

kind regards

Teamkills will always happen. Forcing someone to be on SRS and the right frequency would be great, but such a script would be tough to do.

I was on TS all night long though. I could've reacted if someone had told me about it.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I saw this from the F10 view. He ripple fired 3 sidewinders at a mig-21 that was chasing another Tomcat. Two sidewinders hit the mig, the third went for an F-5 that was in the mix. Didnt look like intentional TK but poor judgement. 

• Thanks 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

4 hours ago, sLYFa said:

I saw this from the F10 view. He ripple fired 3 sidewinders at a mig-21 that was chasing another Tomcat. Two sidewinders hit the mig, the third went for an F-5 that was in the mix. Didnt look like intentional TK but poor judgement. 

He fired 4 Sparrows on my 14 Lmfao

EDIT: Screenshot proof 

6bbe49a908675bf64f58f5e537724755.png

ef75032180da617abd083526408d1ee3.png

ee961cd524a6d7131c4840ae46e4e7cd.png

7de7c2530b2b02a452d371106945eeab.png

Edited by Zachrix

58 minutes ago, Enigma89 said:

From the mission with the oil derricks (I always forget the name)

Operation Mountain Peaks. Your MiG-19 couldn't carry any R3S missiles because there aren't any. The mission features the early stages of the Cold War, hence the absence of such missiles.

Good flying!

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments