ECM tactics

I thought it said in the manual to start the jammers after you start rolling, but before rotation to stop the tower's annoying "traffic at 230 degrees" messages once you're in the air, but that it was important to turn them off after you stop the engines to avoid running down the batteries & making those cold morning starts difficult.

upyr1 - there are pages & pages of discussion (& name calling & arguments) about this topic.

If it wasn't just a wind-up post, I suggest you do a search.

I'd be very surprised if there's anything new that could be added to this discussion.

Cheers.

Rare and seldom

For me I use the ECM for SAM WEZ.

1. You will be seen from aircraft that dont see you on radar.:helpsmilie:

2. Spoof radar locks so your enemy needs to relock you and "fumble":joystick: in the cocpit.

3. Various other tactics I wont give up with the ECM.:music_whistling:

I dont like to blink the ECM eather, for me its on or off.:doh:

:thumbup:

hah come on guys don't tell him that stuff. He might not know your joking. :)

Like IguanaKing said, a search will pull up several threads so you can get a feel for how to use it. It will also give you an idea why this thread is so thick with sarcasm. :megalol:

Personaly these are the situations i find suitable, if they are correct or not is open to debate i suppose;

1) When i've been fired upon and have gone defensive.

2) To "spoof a lock", like coolt said.

3) When flying a mudmover into a target area, but only when i'm being locked up by a ground radar.

I leave mine off for the most part - I like to attract a group of planes to me and my wingman to save me getting bored then once I have them near I'll turn it on and disappear behind a mountain and try and bait them on the otherside.

It's more fun to play hide and seek like that, it also kind of reminds me of submarine tactics where the commander has to try and visualise where, when and what the other subs are doing.

It's more fun at night too where you can't even get a visual so you have to imagine everything. Worked really well on the servers once, they guy seemed to give up after awhile as if I'd been shot down or flew away so he turned around and went for a wingman whilst I was below him the whole time :)

If you have ECM off before burn through and your buddies (wingmen have them on) then the bandits will all lock on you because the others are blocking them!

You better turn them off after burn through!

Ask jojo what a sparrow7 can do if you have your jammers on :D

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

If you have ECM off before burn through and your buddies (wingmen have them on) then the bandits will all lock on you because the others are blocking them!

You better turn them off after burn through!

Ask jojo what a sparrow7 can do if you have your jammers on :D

If you are flying holding hands with your wingmen, all of you will be at burn through range at the same time, so how could it happen that "the bandits all will lock on you" because "the others are blocking them" ?

Makes no sense to me. They can't block them anymore.

After burn through, the bandits will see all aircraft within this given range, regardless of ECM set to on or off....

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

If you are flying holding hands with your wingmen, all of you will be at burn through range at the same time, so how could it happen that "the bandits all will lock on you" because "the others are blocking them" ?

Makes no sense to me. They can't block them anymore.

After burn through, the bandits will see all aircraft within this given range, regardless of ECM set to on or off....

What I want to explain is that if you have 3 bandits (2 with ECM on and 1 normal) in front of you then you have 2 strobes and 1 normal thus you and your brothers can lock-on the normal bandit (before burn through).

The chance of a HOJ hit on the others is about 2% (if you anyway decide to pick out a strobe)..

If the bandit has not ECM on then there is no burn through: you can lock-on him already before!

BTW, at high altitude burn through range is the same as at low altitude but missile range is increased very much!

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

I never turn my ECM on until i have been locked. It's alot easier to find a jammer than a non jammer. I then usually turn it off a few seconds later... (NOT BLINKING MIND YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) then turn it back on and leave it, till either I or he is dead.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Yep ... last sortie I managed to fly I got one kill - that was a HoJ shot on a friednly fairly deep towards enemy territory ... of course, there were all types of aircraft on both sides, so when I got spiked by a 29 I fired while closing in.

Turned out it was a friendly 27 running from a bandit ...

I'm not going to apologize for such things any more, ever. If you don't know when to use your jammer you deserve this. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I use ECM for what it was designed to do IRL:

1) Deny Lock

2) Break Lock

3) Trash a missile solution

:smilewink:

So.... You don't use ECM is lock-on, since it's horrbly undermoddled? ECM in lomac only denies ranging, nothing more, you don't see the radar system go AWOL and target like 20 targets within a second, you don't have false targets appearing all over the screen, you don't have missile seekers being jammes, it's always either perfect HOJ or some notching fluke. Besides real ECM systems don't continiousely transmit, they only transmit if the bandit locked you, not before then. Same goes for missiles, so they can't lock on your 'continiousely transmitting' signal. So we need to trash the ECM system all together, if it's that badly moddled, why use it? Use terrain masking instead (that's porked too, but heck).

The only thing ECM is good for is ground pounding (SEAD-esque missions).

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Why turn it off and then turn it back on?

To break lock...

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

I use ECM for what it was designed to do IRL:

1) Deny Lock

2) Break Lock

3) Trash a missile solution

:smilewink:

Yes, maybe the best simple explanation.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/