A/A Radar and JHMCS Feedback Welcome

Wags

should you even be able to use NVGs with JHMCS? I thought you get one or the other not both.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18358/new-digital-eyepiece-will-allow-u-s-fighter-pilots-to-own-the-night-like-never-before

Quote:

"While some HMDs have night vision capabilities built in, JHMCS which the DoD is heavily invested in, does not. What this has meant operationally is that once night falls, pilots forgo night vision or they swap out their JHMCS visor and all its features for a pair of night vision goggles (NVGs). In other words, either the pilot can have the HMD or NVGs, not both at one time."

From the Elbit website. Not sure if some older versions was not NVG ready.

DJHMCS_Day_Nigh_t800y.jpg

From the Elbit website. Not sure if some older versions was not NVG ready.

DJHMCS_Day_Nigh_t800y.jpg

Yeah that’s the new Digital Eye Piece which allows NVG systems to integrate with JHMCS tracking and overlay the JHMCS symbology onto the right NVG view. But this is a new system and was not around in the era that is being simulated with the Hornet.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team
Nineline, care to comment on the relative back burner the radar has seemingly be put on?

If you mean all the improvements and fixes it has been getting patch after patch? That is what back burner means these days? It's a very complex system, it is gonna take some time, even IFF is only a placeholder, its a complex system with little to no documentation on how to simulate it or even how it works, beyond the basics.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 4 months later...

Unable to Unlock

Hi,

I've only been flying Multiplayer the last week, but been flying the Hornet since it's release.

I've never had this issue of being unable to unlock a target in single player, flying against multiple A2A targets.

In Multiplayer, I've found a number of times I've been unable to unlock my target! This is Through the Inferno MP (OCG Australia).

I'm always up to date with patches.

What happens is I take AIM9x on my wing tips, AIM120s x 6, and 2 AGM66s.

I've turned my datalink and IFF on. I'm selecting the target by setting the radar MDI as the main screen, then putting the cursor over the target, and doing sensor depress to lock them up.

The first time I lock up an enemy or friendly, I can unlock. Then I fire a couple of AIM120s at the enemy, then move onto another target. Then (it can seem to be quite random) when I lock up, I can't unlock. This seems to happen after I've been in the server for over 30 minutes or so, or it is because I've fired off a couple of AIM120s - I'm not sure.

I have tried uncaging, turning off my radar, switching master arm to off, and deselecting A2A, but I still remain locked on the target. The only way to unlock I've found is to turn 180 degrees to break the lock.

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller

Here is the track file. Interestingly, the SA page shows the enemy MIG as a friendly (which it didn't when online - it showed up as a diamond not the square shown here) and after I shoot it, the replay then sets it to hostile.

When I turn the radar off in the replay the tanker radar lock unlocks - but that isn't what happened online. It stayed locked.

And it seems the track file is too large too upload.

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller

I have tried uncaging, turning off my radar, switching master arm to off, and deselecting A2A, but I still remain locked on the target. The only way to unlock I've found is to turn 180 degrees to break the lock.

You can't exit STT mode or L&S, with LTWS enabled? Did you try hitting the Reset button on the ATTK RDR page?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

should you even be able to use NVGs with JHMCS? I thought you get one or the other not both.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18358/new-digital-eyepiece-will-allow-u-s-fighter-pilots-to-own-the-night-like-never-before

Quote:

"While some HMDs have night vision capabilities built in, JHMCS which the DoD is heavily invested in, does not. What this has meant operationally is that once night falls, pilots forgo night vision or they swap out their JHMCS visor and all its features for a pair of night vision goggles (NVGs). In other words, either the pilot can have the HMD or NVGs, not both at one time."

NO1jQbU.jpg

[21:28]

I've just discovered that since the latest update, doing a cold autostart now sets the radar to LTWS by default. I'm sure this is going to cause a lot of problems with other unsuspecting simmers who aren't aware of this change - and I've seen other posts about it now.

I follow the change logs closely, and watch the tutorial videos but this change was not mentioned. It also negates all the existing tutorials on the F-18 radar pre LTWS.

I also asked on Teamspeak while in MP if other flyers were having trouble unlocking a target when in LTWS and a large number said they were - and yes I've pressed reset and tried everything else when it happens.

Edited by JimmyWA

Hello and thank you not only for delivering the Hornet strong but also asking for feedback where it's needed.

I have a couple of things to report regarding contacts not appearing on radar, so please bare with me:

Situation 1 - Solo Ground Strike (HARM, MavF and MK-82 released), hitting up tanker after egress:

The tanker never showed on radar, however after being a bit closer i switched ON the JHMCS and was able to lock it up via LHAQ.

I switched OFF the JHMCS, blip disappeared but turned up again, stayed on radar until i reached tanker and switched radar off.

Situation 2 - BVR training vs 2 SU-33 heads on ca 100nm (solo, airstart):

SU-33 never showed up on radar, 29 was clearly visible on RWR / SA page as it should be so i knew where to point. They just locked me up, fired and i never stood a chance, never seen them on radar.

I repeat that 4-5 times, then decided to add friendly AWACS.

The E-3 lit up the hostiles, they appeared on SA page and shortly after on radar.

Situation 3 - Multiplayer Sortie with the squad, loads of planes airborne, "live environment":

I had 0 contacts during the whole sortie while squadmates had plenty.

From that sortie i have a recording, and include timestamped 2 youtube links.

1st basically has flight member confirming he had 6 contacts (using the same white DDI mod etc) while i had 0 inbound for tanker before ingress.

2nd is confirming radar settings with squadmates and eventually switching off LTWS while reducing the azimuth, which didn't help neither.

Thanks again for the time and energy put into this.

Edited by theIRIEone

I have a couple of things to report regarding contacts not appearing on radar, so please bare with me:

I have also seen this bug many times recently. We haven't found any steps you can take to reliably reproduce it, but I'd estimate it happens in about 1 flight in 4. It is exactly as theIRIEone has described: the radar can get into a broken state where it will no longer detect any contacts of any kind. No action seems to be able to fix the radar in this case, other than respawning into a new plane (not always available in a cooperative mission). This bug occurs frequently enough that it has lead us to question whether the Hornet is currently suitable for use in the air-to-air role within the squadron, given that it's reasonably likely a few people will suffer issues with broken radars.

• ED Team

Situation 1, what was the mission you experienced this in?

Hello and thank you not only for delivering the Hornet strong but also asking for feedback where it's needed.

Situation 1 - Solo Ground Strike (HARM, MavF and MK-82 released), hitting up tanker after egress:

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Situation 1, what was the mission you experienced this in?

Hello NineLine,

it was just a simple solo ground strike training mission i do once in a while.

It was either the attached one or a variation of this with only one SAM site and 1 HARM / 3 MAV loaded, so basically the same thing.

Most of the times when i fly this, the tanker will not be appearing, restarting sometimes help, and as stated previously, finding the tanker direction / range via TCN and then locking it up with JHMCS (in LHAQ mode) helped as well when i tried.

EDIT: The tanker is set up to appear somewhat later, but by the time one took off and performed the strike it's there already for a little while

CASE1_2xSA3_Oman_Port_traininig_2.0.miz

Edited by theIRIEone

Same thing, had the exact position of bandits (with SA page + the AWACS radio comms), they are hot at the same altittude, not jamming. The radar doesn't show them, tried to go silent, change the elevation in all positions, change boxes, scan under 40 degrees but they just appear below 20 nm. Sometimes they just not appear and it's to late for BVR so :) . I have a track (of yesterday evening) I remember I had the same issue one or two times in critical situations on the 104th. The problem is: this file is so heavy. :/

Modules: Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandie, FC3, CA, Super Carrier, A-10C, A-10C II, F/A-18C, F-16 C, F-14 B, SA342, and WWII stuff.

Hardware: I7 8700K, Geforce GTX 1080Ti 11Go OC, 32Gb RAM, screen resolution 2K

Devices: Hotas Warthog, Cougar MFDs, Saitek rudder pedals, Track IR

My squadron: http://jtff.fr/SITE/

About the radar not showing up anything, it happens quite a few times to me and some of my group (3rd Wing), I found that switching back to AG master mode and then back to AA (assuming you were master arm on and AA selected with weapons selected) seems to make this issue go away. It worked that way a few times, have no track on hands unfortunately. Hope it helps.

Edited by RomaniaK

Check your radar display for PRF setting, if it says PDI (without AIM-7 selected and on STT) or nothing at all then it's bugged and won't show anything. Selecting a2a gun is easiest way to fix it and at least so far have worked everytime.

This seems to happen quite a lot in MP airstart missions but i don't remember ever seeing it on missions where you start from ground.

Same thing, had the exact position of bandits (with SA page + the AWACS radio comms), they are hot at the same altittude, not jamming. The radar doesn't show them, tried to go silent, change the elevation in all positions, change boxes, scan under 40 degrees but they just appear below 20 nm. Sometimes they just not appear and it's to late for BVR so :) . I have a track (of yesterday evening) I remember I had the same issue one or two times in critical situations on the 104th. The problem is: this file is so heavy. :/

+1 Exactly!

Twice I got to the point of seeing the bandits visually at about 8-10 miles co-alt. No jammers in play. Just a blank radar screen.

Edited by Catseye

Modules: Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandie, FC3, CA, Super Carrier, A-10C, A-10C II, F/A-18C, F-16 C, F-14 B, SA342, and WWII stuff.

No the problem we've been seeing is not just that contacts are only visible close, it's that the radar gets into a state where no contacts are shown at all: near or far at any elevation. It's as though the radar has been switched off, except the scanning line still sweeps back and forth. You know the contacts are there (because other people in your flight can see them) but you have nothing showing on the radar no matter what you do. Only solution we've found so far is to respawn into a new plane.

We had another squadmate with the same problem on Sunday.

Edited by Tomsk

Yes same for me Tomsk but the beam angle can be directly bound with our problem, the elevation is rather bugy so if we consider that the bandit is under the antena and we can't change it you just see the contact at the last moment .. That's what I would say. (Sorry for my bad english)

• 3 months later...
Do you have a track? I can't reproduce the issue here.

Hi Nineline,

I discovered what I was "doing wrong" in not being able to unlock a target. Hopefully if others report this, you will know what they are doing.

I would lock up a target in the radar, then switch to the SA to check the altitude of other bandits. That was why I couldn't unlock - the radar screen was no longer the SOI.

• ED Team
Hi Nineline,

I discovered what I was "doing wrong" in not being able to unlock a target. Hopefully if others report this, you will know what they are doing.

I would lock up a target in the radar, then switch to the SA to check the altitude of other bandits. That was why I couldn't unlock - the radar screen was no longer the SOI.

:thumbup::thumbup:

64Sig.png

• 5 weeks later...

One more thing. When in AG mode with GUN selected, ATC will display on the HUD, in addition to the rest of the info.

Same scenario with Rockets selected, NWS will display.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

One more thing. When in AG mode with GUN selected, ATC will display on the HUD, in addition to the rest of the info.

Same scenario with Rockets selected, NWS will display.

+1. Literally just noticed that today.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria