Is DCS VR getting Better?

FragBum

As I have indicated earlier going through the logs there was a Oculus update about 5 weeks ago which could explain the subtle improvements.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

As I have indicated earlier going through the logs there was a Oculus update about 5 weeks ago which could explain the subtle improvements.

I noticed some improvements a couple of months ago with the Vive. I had taken a break from DCS VR because it was unplayable on the Persian Gulf map and MP. The game plays much better now than it did before. It is even playable in multiplayer.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Hoping the improvement Wags eluded to are sooner rather than later.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have not seen any improvements to VR yet.

I am running the Open Beta.

Same here. No difference. When all the required components are ready to be downloaded (maybe some have been already, but are not yet functional, who knows) there will be a big fanfare on the weekend news.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

VR Framerates are improved. Yesss.. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

VR Framerates are improved. Yesss.. :D

I've noticed a something as well with 2.5.4. (I'm not running the shaders mod, because it has issues with this version). But I do feel some improvements. Hope it ain't a placebo... ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Can't say I saw really any performance improvement in VR, but I only had a brief amount of time to try it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've noticed a something as well with 2.5.4. (I'm not running the shaders mod, because it has issues with this version). But I do feel some improvements. Hope it ain't a placebo... ;)

Not just frame rates. Normandy looks nice near the ground now, no more luminous trees. The Bf109 textures are gorgeous! And best of all no stutters the first time I shoot down an enemy plane. Not going to get to excited cause theres often new problems when old get fixed but this is a huge step in the right direction today especially for VR!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Can't say I saw really any performance improvement in VR, but I only had a brief amount of time to try it.

Try it with ASW on duburne. Cause for me with motion smoothing its very... well smooth. But it's not just the smoothness cause it was smooth before, but now it's actually clear and nice looking, without artifacts (except for spit prop) I believe because MS is no longer causing it to spaz out. It just all seems cleaner somehow or more polished. Always difficult to put a finger on these things, and its early days but still my initial impression is very good, and normandy god it looks so much better down low!

Although trying a different time of day when the sun hit the trees they are still bright green! Strange though cause mission before was like midday!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Wow 2.5.4 sucks, image quality for Rift there is now a tiny center portion that kinda looks ok but the rest of the Rift image is very fuzzy I.E. when rolling eyes to check peripheral vision elements.

I'm going to pull the pin on 2.5.4 and roll back until this is sorted.

The other thing I see is CPU utilization go up from 16% ish in 2.5.3 to a whopping 28% ish in 2.5.4 for poorer image quality and the same 45FPS.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

45fps is not a problem, closer to 90 is the trick. I`m running all high, PD1.4 and MSAA x4.

You might want to check back in ten years in that case!

------------

To be honest on the VIVE with the new motion smoothing it is only really the spitfire that suffers from a distracting amount of (prop) artifacts, that force me to turn the gun reticle off when not it combat.

All the other modules from WW2, to helicopter and jets (at least the ones I have tried) all seem to work great, and the gameplay is so damned fluid now. Last night though when I first tried DCS with the new update couldn't really put my finger on it, but it just seemed so smooth, and better graphically too. Not sure if that is placebo, or a result of better prerformance, causing less MS graphical artifacts.

For me at least MS is the best thing ever to happen to VR/DCS (That said in the other sim I have to shut it off!). And thats on MSSA 4 and PD about 1.2. I've also noticed lately that weather effects are no longer stuttering, though this will have to be confirmed tonight. I really do think that DCS has come a long way recently!

No more Vive basestation flashes when pilots eject is the biggest thing for me though! Oh how I have waited for that one!

------------

Definite improvement for me.

Did a quick test and the load times are much faster. I ran MSSA x4 SSX2 with 16x anis filtering, PD 1.0 with most settings on high to achieve fast, fluid flight in the caucas map free flight (no shader mod). Well done ED. VR is def moving in the right direction. Would be really useful to know what has been tweaked so that we can optimise the VR settings?

i7 7820X OC @4.8GHz | Dual GTX 1080Ti | 32GB DDR4 3000 | Samsung 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64 | Samsung Odessey | TM Warthog | TM Pedals

Agree Caucasus seems way better in Rift not sure about NTTR the immersion seems different now.

I had a great performance boost! With little to no shimmering/jaggies (PD 1.6, MSAA OFF). There is a bug that creates sort of dark "flickering" when water is present in FOV. It has already been aknowledged by ED dev.

Solution for now is to set water to Medium or Low.

Edited by Schmidtfire

I flew vanilla 2.5.4 Caucasus. Definitely some improvements. And as noted, had to put water at medium to eliminate the flickering when I flew PG.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I still get stutters every so often. The game is mostly smooth but then a pause & continue anyone else have this?

We still yet to get ASW2.0.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I still get stutters every so often. The game is mostly smooth but then a pause & continue anyone else have this?

We still yet to get ASW2.0.

Remember that stutters can still be caused by cloud density being set too high. Have also noticed they can still occur sometimes when certain AC's explode. Using dynamic weather seems to fix the weather issue at least, but the later isn't much of a problem. Definately still some existing old problems, but the pilot eject one which was the worse has gone. I havent tried the bombs in the viggen yet, that might be interesting!

------------