Best Controller For F-18 and F-14

What's your budget?

A lot of people like the Thrustmaster warthog HOTAS (myself included) but it's pretty expensive.

It seems sensible to wait for the F/A-18 stick for it which is coming "soon", but nobody knows when "soon" actually is.

You won't get a 1:1 mapping for the throttle controls, but flying multiple planes that is impossible anyway.

I should say Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog for the following reasons.

It’s a standard, it has a great flexibility, it’s solid, smooth, hard and cool. There are switches like real life. F-14 and F-18 are both twin engine fighers just as the TM Warthog throttle. It has phisical Idle detent for both engine just as the real life. You can performe Cold Start with a great experience. It values each money spent on it. There are even other wonderfull solutions from VirPil and VKB but You have written for F-14 and F-18 so it’s better to think to Hotas Warthog.

However, DCS World is an amazing simulator and it’s required a top controller to better simulate the pilots real life.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

Looking for the closes look-and-feel for both the f-18 and f-14. From my understanding the HOTAS is more A-10c accurate. What is more F18 and F14 accurate?

You are correct that the current version is an A-10 replica, but as I mentioned, if you are willing to wait a bit they are making a replica of the F/A-18 stick that fits on the same base.

But we don't know when it will be released, so if you want it now that's not an option.

I believe the throttle from another company is based on the F/A-18 throttle so that might be a better fit for the throttle part. Sorry I forget which one, a Saitek maybe?

I don't know what would be similar to the F-14 HOTAS.

Best Controller For F-18 and F-14

The Hotas Warthog is the perfect controller for A-10 but can also be adapted to several other aircrafts. This thanks to its flexibility and number of switches. Moreover, in TM they think to use it as a modular platform and then insert, for example, an F-18 Grip. At the moment, however, there are no certain news. If budget is not this even T.16000M is a great option.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

I guess Im looking for options, regardless of budget. Looking for the closes look-and-feel for both the f-18 and f-14. From my understanding the HOTAS is more A-10c accurate. What is more F18 and F14 accurate?

Currently nothing on the market. Keep in mind, that A-10c hotas is half F-16 (stick) and half F-15 (throttle - almost), so it's not for attack plane only. Some other throttles may have a slightly more similar layout to the Hornet, but there is always a trade-off.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You can get a Logitech Rhino X-56 for about $250. Some people like them, some don't. Pretty much your cheapest and most general option.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Throttle-Simulation-Controller-Gaming/dp/B079P6SSHP/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079P6SSHP&pd_rd_r=b0e490f1-0d98-11e9-ba5f-4d00cf6be912&pd_rd_w=8JApj&pd_rd_wg=brtbW&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=VA0XR4038SBRZHYBA6XR&psc=1&refRID=VA0XR4038SBRZHYBA6XR

Virpil and VKB sticks are about the same ( and hard to get ). The only other throttle besides Logitech or Thrustmaster is one Virpil just came out with. To me, it looks a little more F-18 like.

Unfortunately, these guys are the most expensive, and usually sold out until the next batch.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/

https://virpil.com/en/

Edited by 3WA

Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas is cheap and has enough good reviews, its presently sold for 100$, pfff

(I run a TMWH AND a Logitech G940, the G940 mostly just for the buttons on the base/and/or for helicopters with FFB)

Can't have enough buttons, I'm already thinking of soldering such a DIY 'button box' run with an arduino chip for more buttons/encoders

BTW A TMWH is expensive but if something breaks one can most of the time fix it, whilst it already will not break down as easily as cheaper plastic stuff.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

For me the best combination available is the TM warthog joystick along with the TWCS throttle.

This throttle is very cheap (almost a third of the TM warthog throttle if you buy it standalone), amazingly precise and the closest match to a hornet throttle available.

Did Heatblur not say they were working with Baur or somebody to make an F-14 grip for the TM/Virpil base?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I don't think you will get a stick that matches closely to both the F18 and the F14. The F14 stick is quite different. The Warthog HOTAS setup is great, yeah it costs but it s a good bit of kit that will last. Remember that there are many modules you will fly, even if you think you just gonna stick with one, no chance, you will get more, so get what you can afford, what will last and just set it up the way you like.

On the Warthog setup, I still have spare switches and buttons on both the throttle and the stick and have most everything I need mapped, so it is great and works like a treat.

My advice : virpil WAR BRD base (no comparison with the warthog gimbal design) + the upcoming Thrustmaster or Realsimulator.com Hornet grip (whichever comes out first).

For throttle, the Thrustmaster TWCS is a good ''hornet like'' solution.

Best hornet throttle replica is currently the (expensive) throttletek product.

I can recomend Virpils product as well. I have VPC-MT50 base with hotas warthog stick. And this combination is absolutly awesome for dcs. There is no comparasion for original warthog base with his shitty gimbal. Go to viirpil and dont buy crap from thrustmaster.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Do not forget about the rudder pedals! The TM Warthog stick does not have a twist axis that can be used as a rudder. Pedals or not that expensive, but it has to match your setup (for example a desk chair with rollers/wheels is not a good combination).

I managed to get my hands on a used Thrustmaster Warthog. I really like it, but the Thrustmaster T.16000M HOTAS I used before, was amazing too. It uses the same sensor, so it's extremely accurate and it has arguably the better slew controls, a lot of buttons, a pinky wheel for zoom, plenty of four-way-hats... just a great system!

All depends on your budget ......And how long you want to wait ...I would list them in this order add the rudder of your choice ...I have VKB's and they work great

1) Virpil WAR BRD base + the upcoming Thrustmaster or Realsimulator.com Hornet grip or buy a Warthog grip from Thrustmaster. and Warthog throttle.

2) Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas Set (can change to new base later if so desired )

3) Thrustmaster Warthog joystick along with the TWCS throttle. Combined with Voice Attack can make up for any lack of buttons.

4) Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas combined with Voice Attack can make up for any lack of buttons.

I use #1 with VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV and am very happy with my setup and unless something dies I don't see myself ever going to another setup.

Took me awhile to get here so if your on a budget I would start with the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas and add to it over time ...Good Luck

Edited by Hellcat

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I have a Warthog and had an old X55 kicking around. I don't like the lack of axis' on the Warthog throttle, so I switched it out for the X55 while still using the Warthog stick. I'm loving it. I find it much more comfortable as well, with many more options for dials and axis' in the F-18.

Of course for the A10 the Warthog throttle is perfect, but if you're mostly into other planes, I would only recommend the Warthog stick and pair it with a throttle with more options.

i7 - 9700k | EVGA 1080Ti | 32 DDR4 RAM | 750w PS | TM Warthog HOTAS/X-55 | Track IR 5 |

my vote X56! I use it without the programing software, just pick a DCS function, click the button- done! 13 buttons, 6 hats,7 switches, 4 rototaters, split th, 2 mouse hats/buttons:)

How is the quality? I own an X52 pro, which has loads of functionality, but it is very poor quality. The precision (:megalol:) slider is so jittery I have turned it into a three position switch. In fact almost all axes are jittery. Logitech sent me a replacement, but that was just as bad. If the X56 is better I would seriously consider it.

Above, it was mentioned that the TM Warthog has an idle detent. I’ll add that it also has an afterburner detent. The instruction manual shows you how to easily add this detent by opening up the base, flipping one piece around, then putting it back together.

I haven’t flown a real hornet, but I got to spend an hour in the simulators at Miramar a few years ago and that was the first time I learned about the AB detent. I couldn’t imagine a proper sim setup without it for the Hornet.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Above, it was mentioned that the TM Warthog has an idle detent. I’ll add that it also has an afterburner detent. The instruction manual shows you how to easily add this detent by opening up the base, flipping one piece around, then putting it back together.

I haven’t flown a real hornet, but I got to spend an hour in the simulators at Miramar a few years ago and that was the first time I learned about the AB detent. I couldn’t imagine a proper sim setup without it for the Hornet.

Or, the indent is a PITN because you have to lift the 2 handles and I just keep an eye on RCtrl+Enter where max military is.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |