In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR!

Fubarbrickdust

23 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Download removed.

ultimately this of course your call, i  am sorry that this is no longer available, it is a real boon to  many, and I am sorry that one errant comment caused this 😞 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

4 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

ultimately this of course your call, i  am sorry that this is no longer available, it is a real boon to  many, and I am sorry that one errant comment caused this 😞 

Couldn’t agree more. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Wow! Very sorry you feel that way, but I get where you’re coming from. A lot of people will miss your great work, however.
Thanks for all you’ve done. It’s been appreciated.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

16 minutes ago, Draken35 said:

Not only one errant comment, but that one was the last straw.  There are some few people in this community with a high level of entitlement and a couple of my personal projects have attracted those. To be honest, those few are more than enough to me make not want to share any of the stuff I do for DCS.  I do these scripts and mission for my entertainment and when shared, part of my limited entertainment time is dedicated to support the shared scripts of missions. Documenting, source control, testing, preparing files for upload, answering questions about it here, all takes time away from limited budget of hours dedicated to entertainment and those hours are very valuable to me, so, sorry, but I will not spend one more minute sharing anything here. 

understood, it is a loss to the community. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Is there a way to use a button on a controller instead of a key combination? I guess that requires an additional piece of software since dcs does not have an independent key- to-button mapping feature 

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

Depending on your controller, you might be able to map the Key combo to a button. I know you can do it directly with Thrustmaster software (TARGET/FOXY).

I have a WinWing and while the SIMAPPPRO doesn't allow this to be done directly, I have used Joystick Gremlin/vJoy to accomplish this.

Lately, I have been using FoxVox voice activation software (similar to Voice Attack and similar) to do this along with other command which are useful in VR and save me from mapping additional HOTAS buttons.

2 hours ago, skypickle said:

Is there a way to use a button on a controller instead of a key combination? I guess that requires an additional piece of software since dcs does not have an independent key- to-button mapping feature 

Unfortunately, no. I wish there was a way to get the keybindings into DCS' regular keybinding UI, but I am not aware of a way of doing that for this kind of mod. As mentioned above, you are left with remapping a controller to a keyboard key(combination).

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

On 7/16/2023 at 8:41 AM, Draken35 said:

Not only one errant comment, but that one was the last straw.  There are some few people in this community with a high level of entitlement and a couple of my personal projects have attracted those. To be honest, those few are more than enough to me make not want to share any of the stuff I do for DCS.  I do these scripts and mission for my entertainment and when shared, part of my limited entertainment time is dedicated to support the shared scripts of missions. Documenting, source control, testing, preparing files for upload, answering questions about it here, all takes time away from limited budget of hours dedicated to entertainment and those hours are very valuable to me, so, sorry, but I will not spend one more minute sharing anything here. 

Certainly understand how you feel, forums can be brutal at times! Your work is outstanding and greatly appreciated by many. So many, many Thanks! 
Hope someday down the road you may reconsider sharing…..

Edited by greyeagle787

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Great app with a log of potential for my plugin.

I noticed that the log says:

creating page C:\Users\XXXX\Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad\0000.txt.

That file is not created nor this directory. Should I create Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad folder myself?
Text is not saved in any file.
I also see this in DCS.log:

2023-08-15 18:17:18.736 INFO    LuaNET (Main): [Scratchpad] Failed to create window: [string "C:\Users\XXXX\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Hooks\scratchpad-hook.lua"]:332: attempt to index local 'page' (a nil value

I had to create Scratchpad myself and create txt file inside it.

How hard would it be to add a "Hide", button to the scratch pad window?
In addition, can I load txt file by name to the scratch pad? A file which did not exist when teh app started?

Thanks

Edited by karpiyon

You may want to keep the notes from one mission to the next. Categorically deleting them could do a great disservice to the user. I know I've often had notes that I used in multiple missions, and it is far easier to edit a text file than all the work it takes to put a kneeboard page in.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

13 hours ago, karpiyon said:

I noticed that the log says:

creating page C:\Users\XXXX\Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad\0000.txt.

That file is not created nor this directory. Should I create Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad folder myself?
Text is not saved in any file.
I also see this in DCS.log:

2023-08-15 18:17:18.736 INFO    LuaNET (Main): [Scratchpad] Failed to create window: [string "C:\Users\XXXX\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Hooks\scratchpad-hook.lua"]:332: attempt to index local 'page' (a nil value

I had to create Scratchpad myself and create txt file inside it.

Thanks for the report. This is a bug, the file and folder should be created automatically. I've released a new version that fixes that.

How hard would it be to add a "Hide", button to the scratch pad window?

It is not possible via a Scratchpad extension, and I personally don't see the point of a hide button, so probably nothing I am going to add.

In addition, can I load txt file by name to the scratch pad? A file which did not exist when teh app started?

Yes, you can create as many text files in the Scratchpad directory as you want and name them however you like.

Edited by Binary

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

Thanks.

I managed to get the hotkeys like this:

["hotkeyPrevPage"] = "RIGHT CTRL + RIGHT SHIFT + LWIN + A",
However, even when I press LEFT CTRL + LEFT SHIFT + LWIN + A, it still triggers the command.
Why?

And anther question regarding updating a page:
Can i update the current page? When I try to chnage the content of the currently page externally and reload the pages it shows be the same page.
It appears I need to select another page, update externally and reselect this page.
If this the way it is supposed to work?

Thanks

Edited by karpiyon

5 minutes ago, Draken35 said:

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Draken35 said:

Great to see you back!  Thanks a lot.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

Glad to see Draken35 back on! Downloaded latest. All good except for the scratchpad window opens by itself when launching DCS. I can Shift,Ctrl,X it back off but it’s never done this before. What did i do wrong here?

No idea... It doesn't do that in my rig. I would suggest to make sure that there is no left overs of any prior install of any flavors of scratch pad in your setup, specially in the hooks folder.

3 hours ago, greyeagle787 said:

Glad to see Draken35 back on! Downloaded latest. All good except for the scratchpad window opens by itself when launching DCS. I can Shift,Ctrl,X it back off but it’s never done this before. What did i do wrong here?

Did you ever figure this out? Been using scratchpad for some time and got a new computer.  Reinstalled it fresh with the newest version (no old files) and noticed the same issue you where having.  It starts automatically when DCS launches.  Same as you, I hit SHFT/CTRL/X and it closes, but I need to do this every time it starts up.  I was curious if you figured out the issue.

48 minutes ago, Devil 505 said:

Did you ever figure this out? Been using scratchpad for some time and got a new computer.  Reinstalled it fresh with the newest version (no old files) and noticed the same issue you where having.  It starts automatically when DCS launches.  Same as you, I hit SHFT/CTRL/X and it closes, but I need to do this every time it starts up.  I was curious if you figured out the issue.

Not yet, working on it!

21 hours ago, greyeagle787 said:

I must have only copied the "scripts" folder and not the "scratchpad" folder to my saved games. Once I copied both over, it works as advertised. Again, Operator Error!!

Trying it out now.  I had the Scratchpad folder in the scripts folder. 

12 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Trying it out now.  I had the Scratchpad folder in the scripts folder. 

Hope that works. FYI, I removed all scratchpad folders and reinstalled. I found 1 lua file in the saved games “config” folder that I hadn’t found before. When I removed that too and reinstalled, all was well.

1 hour ago, greyeagle787 said:

Hope that works. FYI, I removed all scratchpad folders and reinstalled. I found 1 lua file in the saved games “config” folder that I hadn’t found before. When I removed that too and reinstalled, all was well.

I think that file in the CONFIG folder gets created automatically and contains the HOTKEY information (which is taken from the LUA file in the HOOKS Folder) I think the HOTKEY can be changed in either place, but I usually edit the LUA file in HOOKS.