[DCS BUG] Freezing Black Screen when exiting to Windows

Top Jockey

Have you guys tried doing "Quit" instead of "Quit to desktop"? And then clicking Exit from the main menu...That works fine for me, whereas if I do Quit to desktop from a flight in the F-14 I get the black screen as if DCS isn't giving the desktop back the GPU/RAM

Cheers

James

***Upgraded to 32GB RAM and the issue seems to have gone now***

Edited by hughesj2
Updated following RAM upgrade

After updating to 2.5.4.29004:

Unfortunately, the problem still exists, at least on my machine.

After flying with the F-14, its not possible to quit to desktop in a clean way.

When starting DCS, then flying with the F-15, then quitting, quitting DCS works fine.

This I got from the clipboard:

Description:
 A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name:	AppHangB1
 Application Name:	DCS.exe
 Application Version:	2.5.4.29004
 Application Timestamp:	5c9a24a8
 Hang Signature:	e46c
 Hang Type:	16384
 OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
 Locale ID:	3079
 Additional Hang Signature 1:	e46cbf178fb6ed0e543ecbb9a2f59820
 Additional Hang Signature 2:	a915
 Additional Hang Signature 3:	a91574a4aab7e503c0cc595619d44538
 Additional Hang Signature 4:	8b1b
 Additional Hang Signature 5:	8b1bc7357574777ffed5cf5cde3df404
 Additional Hang Signature 6:	1e18
 Additional Hang Signature 7:	1e18e63b3535814c3c74a43738acafc3

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

What do you guys have your pagefile set to? I used to get this exact same black-screen on exit with every DCS module when I had 16GB of RAM, and I noticed most of the commentors here also have 16GB of RAM. Once I upgraded to 32GB of RAM this problem disappeared, then came back with the Tomcat, which is known to be a bit of a RAM hog at the moment.

I haven't gotten a chance to test the new build that uses less memory, but I think you guys should try upgraded RAM if you can. I imagine the Tomcat is maxing out the RAM and using the pagefile, then when you exit DCS there's a black screen freeze as the pagefile gets dumped.

I can fly the F14 the whole evening and it doesn’t happen.

If I go the my controls settings page in whatever plane I use it will happen. (ATM I only fly either the F14 or the F18 though). But ive had it with the F18 as well.

If I use the mission editor without even flying it sometimes will happen. (Probably depending on what I did select or clicked, didn’t pinpoint that yet).

This is offcourse on my setup and it may be different with others. But for me it isn’t related to only flying the F14.

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

+1

Black screen on exit everytime. Pagefile is set to system managed on the SSD housing DCS.

Only solution is to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and force DCS to close.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

What do you guys have your pagefile set to?

RAM: 16GB

DCS is installed on drive C:

pagefile on drive C: (SYSTEM DRIVE) : 1GB (fixed size) on SDD

pagefile on drive E: (DATA) 16GB (fixed size) on SDD

total RAM usage during flying a MP mission with a friend is about 12 to 14 GB, depending on situation

Next time I fly I will consider removing the pagefile on C: completely.

Will report back.

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Will report back.

Already tried it. Game will hang when loading missions. It is completely dependant on a pagefile if you don't have at least 32GB RAM.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

It seems i found a solution. Changed wallpaper to Mi-8 and game quits like it should, no more freezing black screen on game exit. I guess every other wallpaper other than F-14 will do the trick too.

Asus Z97-PRO | Intel i7-4790K @ 4.00Ghz | beQuite! PowerZone 650W | Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti | Creative E-MU 1616m | Samsung SSD 840 Evo Basic - 1TB | Win10 |

TM Hotas Cougar w. U2nxt + hall sensors | VPC ACE-1 Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro

In version 2.5.4.29004 openbeta the Left ALT + TAB combo works (even with the black freeze) !

It allows to get to the desktop, and close the sim from task manager.

... and I've been clicking at the news link to get to desktop all this time. :megalol:

(Still with no music whatsoever from F-14 wallpaper though.)

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Just tried CEPEA solution and it does not work for me changing background screen does not help. I posted two days ago about this there was no bug and problem section or I just missed it. I always load an extra screen file explorer so I can get to F 14 Manual and TrackIR But upon exit from F 14 I get a black screen and lose access to File explorer Task manger can be called up but it remains a black screen. On my mini monitors I can see the task bar and even then accessing it (task manger) it still will not exit, file explorer is there with same results, and hard shutdown is only way out.

Edit: Just shutdown system, and restarted, had to exit and it work, apologies to CEPEA, however since this morning update using the link to forum,(the little box that pops out with news) it takes forever to load, very strange, just a comment no bug.

Edited by WeakLink
50/50 chance of working

WeakLink solution:

ctrl+alt+del - open task manager

win+tab - drag&drop task manager on the second virtual deskto

ctrl+win+cursor right to switch to the second virtual desktop (or via win+tab & mouse click on it)

kill dcs

close task manager

go back to first virtual desktop (ctrl+win+cursor left or win+tab)

Regards

REAPER 31 | Painter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RAM: 16GB

DCS is installed on drive C:

pagefile on drive C: (SYSTEM DRIVE) : 1GB (fixed size) on SDD

pagefile on drive E: (DATA) 16GB (fixed size) on SDD

total RAM usage during flying a MP mission with a friend is about 12 to 14 GB, depending on situation

Will report back.

Did some tests using the above configuration, with the pagefile size set to 18 GB.

I flew MP mission as a host, used F-5, MiG-29, other guys used Viggen, F-14. In the end I used the F-14 as well.

It didn't crash.

Unfortunately just before this bigger test run of about 8 hours (yes ...) I updated to 2.5.4.29079, so I can't say which of these solved the issues. Also, it might have been luck.

What I can state right now is that with the last update I have the impression the whole thing got more stable, but more testing in the evening will take place for sure.

Side note: after flying about 8 hours in VR with the Oculus Rift (with a manually mounted self constructed counter weight of ~300g) in one single run, I have no problems with eyes or neck. This device is f.... good!

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

just change your TOMCAT wallpaper to a difrent modüle. l changed mine to the F5e and havent had the problem for a week now.

Because 99% the issue is caused by the mixed "in" and "loop" sound files - due to which for F-14, the music plays only once. Just switch the files together (by renaming them) - it really solves the problem of black screen on exit. Obviously also solves the issue of music playing once. That's why selecting other "wallpaper" or being more specific a theme (as it also changes the music) in DCS menu also seems to solve the problem.

Anyway - just try.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Because 99% the issue is caused by the mixed "in" and "loop" sound files - due to which for F-14, the music plays only once. Just switch the files together (by renaming them) - it really solves the problem of black screen on exit. Obviously also solves the issue of music playing once. That's why selecting other "wallpaper" or being more specific a theme (as it also changes the music) in DCS menu also seems to solve the problem.

Anyway - just try.

The problem is: I really don't understand what you mean by this.

You have given this advice before indeed, but I don't understand what to do.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Did some more tests this afternoon: All problems with crashes seem to have disappeared.

Flew the F-14 in MP as RIO, did some training using many aircraft systems, except for weapons.

No crashes during flying, and exiting DCS back to desktop was successful too.

Fixed size of my pagefile on E: is now 19 GB, using a partition with still 500 MB of free space. Not optimal, but can't use another partition at the moment.

For me the actions of the last days made it work pretty well, which make me happy at the moment.

Addtional comment: I'm on F-5 wallpaper since a few days or so.

my computer:

Anyway - just try.

nice finding ...

my computer:

Anyway - just try.

Was having hard time to understand (english isn't my native language) - you meant: changing those 2 file's names between them; one's name goes to the other and vice versa.

Yes it seems to work!

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Same problem ln exit to desktop

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!