HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Based on what I am seeing in these posts, folks are trying both SS in steam AND PD... I thought these had the same net effect of SuperSampling, no?

I did some base testing with my O+ tonight for context.

I setup my SteamVR SS to 100% which renders each eye at 1424x1780 (O+is 1440x1600 so this is close to native)

I then went into DCS and turned off MSAA and Anisiotropic filtering. Textures low with the exception of water at medium. Shadows all set to flat. Object distance and preload set to extreme and max respectively.

Quick results -

@1.3 jaggies everywhere

@1.5 better

@1.7 good looking view with minimal jaggies AND minimal stuttering

@1.8 slightly better than 1.7 but my performance starts to suffer. Micro and full on stuttering every few seconds during aircraft maneuvers.

Base calcs suggest I am pushing ~13.3m pixels total @ 1.7pd.

With a pixel base of ~9.3m native on the Reverb, I could try it out at 1.2 PD (assuming SS at native resolution) and be pushing the same amount of pixels (generally) through my 2080ti card with similar performance (fingers crossed). Image quality will be dictated at that point by the Reverb.

Edited by Nagilem

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

You just plug it in and windows will download everything it needs. You don't need to roll back unless you want to increase the rendering resolution wmr sets back to 2.0 which is basically the equivalent of setting steam vr options SS to 200%.

You should also download steam vr and wmr for steam vr either stable or beta as you need that for DCS.

Just got the reverb and setting everything up (coming from the rift) - interested in any recommendations on how best to set it up? (note already got it running nicely on asseto corsa, am using an app called fpsVR (seems to give some sliders for global resolution and application resolution and fps counter in VR) and running with a 2080ti and win10 ver17763 - so for DCS what is the best settings:

1)In the mixed reality portal can see under headset settings you can change "visuals" to automatic, very high(beta) etc... - mine is defaulting to auto? and under "experience" settings you can select 60hz or 90 hz - mine defaults to auto again? - what are recommended for these?

2)In steamVR (for WMR) settings under video (custom) it seems to suggest my "recommended resolution" is 150% - which means at the bottom it says 1972x1928 per eye - which appears to be below the headsets native resolution?(confused) although in the application tab it is showing custom resolution as 100% with the same res 1972x1928 as in the other custom vide tab!(suggesting the default is 100%=150%?

3)Also (guess as its WMR steamVR) can't seem to find a performance tab and there is no option for ASW (async reprojection) - assume this is because WMR use something else? connected with the 60hz mode? - note at the bottom left of the steam vr settings tab does say reprojection "on" motion smoothing "off"??

4)In terms of SS (supersampling) in game assume its best (from other posts) to set this to 1.0 - then adjust outside the game? (guessing this is the same as tweaking the custom resolution or is it something different?)

5)If anyone else is using the fpsVR app - guess if you adjust the application res adjustment slider this is essentially tweaking the res just for the game you are currently in and it overrides any steamVRsettings? - note global resolution

seems to reflect the 150% res from steamVR (optimal) - then when I tweak the application resolution slider above its default 100% to 150% it seems to give me a res of 2451x2361 per eye! - anyone know how this works?!

Edited by mac22

It's worse than that. :)

SteamVR by default will set the resolution dynamically based on your hardware profile (mainly just the GPU you have) and nearly always gets it wrong. If you have a 1080/2080 class card it will probably default to 150% for all WMR devices, even if they have different native panel resolutions.

For sims it is best to tick 'Settings / Video / 'Enable custom resolution' otherwise SteamVR will adjust it per title in the 'Applications' area. It works ok for general VR games, but for extra clarity it is nicer to adjust manually.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1661138371528106606

The base Vive uses a 1.4 x that resolution to account for barrel distortion (sometimes called pre-warp), while on the WMR side that is 'renderTargetScale' set in the 'default.vrsettings' file in your \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings location. That's the bit that is broke on Win10 1903 so far.

It's quite complicated, and it will be great when DCS goes native WMR calls. Props to ED for looking at that.

:thumbup:

:pilotfly:

Just checked my order status on the HP US site and got a pleasant surprise. My Reverb, which was scheduled to ship on June 18th, shipped today! :D:punk:

Great stuff. Now make sure your Windows 10 is up to date with 1809 because mine would not connect unless I updated to it. Also take a look at your extensible host usb drivers. If they say ASrock change them, if they do not say (Microsoft) on the end, change them.

For instance mine were Fresco Logic FL1100 series drivers and the headset would not be recognised by my PC. In device manager it showed up as a generic plug n play monitor.

Lots of googling found the usb driver set to be the problem. Apparently some enumeration issues with the headset using certain drivers.

I changed the drivers for others on my PC, rather than internet and found Fresco Logic (Microsoft) drivers and installed those.

The PC now detects the headset as a WMR device and opens up the WMR portal, but it still would not connect - just stuck on the connect your headset page. More googling recommended to download the latest version of Windows (1809), which I was trying to avoid doing due to the bug that affects resolution.

Duly downloaded 1809 over night because of a poor rural internet connection and other issues.

The headset then got past the connection page and I was advised by WMR portal that it needed to download yet more stuff. It's been grinding away for two hours already, downloading something.

Then I noticed my new steam account has an app called steam bootstrapper and it is taking up all my rural pittance of available bandwidth (a giddy 3.5 Mbps).

It has defaulted to loading on start, so I did not even know it was running. I killed it and disabled load on start. The WMR portal is now getting the bandwidth.

So almost 24 hours of trying to get it up and running with one problem after another.

Oh and then there is the Bluetooth dongle I have had to order to get the controllers to work and carry on with the setup. They don't talk directly to the headset like Rift did - another nasty surprise. If your PC does not have built in Bluetooth you will need a dongle.

It has certainly not been a plug n play thing, but most of the problems have been because of particular settings I had to get the best out of Oculus.

I don't suppose you will have the same problems, but the solutions are here if so.

I told you before, I have lots of luck........all bad. :cry:

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

No Reverb for me - stuck in the middle of DPD delivery hell.

Two days they've failed to even attempt delivery - not impressed.

That sucks. Can you get it diverted to a local DPD pickup point, so you won't be fretting about missing the delivery?

That's what I usually do with big ticket items. Our village is out in the sticks, so our "local" DPD pickup point is at a pharmacy about 8 miles away, but it's worth the drive for peace of mind, plus the pickup points get a before noon delivery.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Just got the reverb and setting everything up (coming from the rift) - interested in any recommendations on how best to set it up? (note already got it running nicely on asseto corsa, am using an app called fpsVR (seems to give some sliders for global resolution and application resolution and fps counter in VR) and running with a 2080ti and win10 ver17763 - so for DCS what is the best settings:

1)In the mixed reality portal can see under headset settings you can change "visuals" to automatic, very high(beta) etc... - mine is defaulting to auto? and under "experience" settings you can select 60hz or 90 hz - mine defaults to auto again? - what are recommended for these?

2)In steamVR (for WMR) settings under video (custom) it seems to suggest my "recommended resolution" is 150% - which means at the bottom it says 1972x1928 per eye - which appears to be below the headsets native resolution?(confused) although in the application tab it is showing custom resolution as 100% with the same res 1972x1928 as in the other custom vide tab!(suggesting the default is 100%=150%?

3)Also (guess as its WMR steamVR) can't seem to find a performance tab and there is no option for ASW (async reprojection) - assume this is because WMR use something else? connected with the 60hz mode? - note at the bottom left of the steam vr settings tab does say reprojection "on" motion smoothing "off"??

4)In terms of SS (supersampling) in game assume its best (from other posts) to set this to 1.0 - then adjust outside the game? (guessing this is the same as tweaking the custom resolution or is it something different?)

5)If anyone else is using the fpsVR app - guess if you adjust the application res adjustment slider this is essentially tweaking the res just for the game you are currently in and it overrides any steamVRsettings? - note global resolution

seems to reflect the 150% res from steamVR (optimal) - then when I tweak the application resolution slider above its default 100% to 150% it seems to give me a res of 2451x2361 per eye! - anyone know how this works?!

1. Leave visuals to auto. The second part let's you select the refresh rate of 60hz or 90hz. 90 is smoother but only if you can actually get 90fps in games you play. Keep it at 90hz for now and only drop it to 60hz if you are experiencing performance issues.

2. Steam automatically sets this resolution scale based on your gpu. But 1972x1928 isn't the native resolution of the reverb. Move it to 188% to get the 2160 resolution of your headset. You can either do this under the application tab, which only would do it for DCS if you select dcs under there or globally if you check the box under the video settings to apply it to everything.

3. Motion reprojection is wmr version of asw. Keep it on if you want to sustain at least 45fps. I always kept motion smoothing off. This is under steam vr settings video tab I believe.

4. I usually preferred keeping default SS In steam and using the pixel density slider in DCS.

5. Never used that fpsVR app with my Samsung Odyssey but 150% isn't going to give you native res of the Reverb. You need to set it to 188% I think.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

1. Leave visuals to auto. The second part let's you select the refresh rate of 60hz or 90hz. 90 is smoother but only if you can actually get 90fps in games you play. Keep it at 90hz for now and only drop it to 60hz if you are experiencing performance issues.

2. Steam automatically sets this resolution scale based on your gpu. But 1972x1928 isn't the native resolution of the reverb. Move it to 188% to get the 2160 resolution of your headset. You can either do this under the application tab, which only would do it for DCS if you select dcs under there or globally if you check the box under the video settings to apply it to everything.

3. Motion reprojection is wmr version of asw. Keep it on if you want to sustain at least 45fps. I always kept motion smoothing off. This is under steam vr settings video tab I believe.

4. I usually preferred keeping default SS In steam and using the pixel density slider in DCS.

5. Never used that fpsVR app with my Samsung Odyssey but 150% isn't going to give you native res of the Reverb. You need to set it to 188% I think.

2. not as simple as that. The whole SteamVR SS is a very confusing topic. For example, although my Reverb defaults to 150% ( 1972x1928 ), my Vive Pro defaults to 100% which SteamVR reports as 2016x2240! On the logic that one should set it to 'native resolution' the Vive Pro needs to go to 50%. Now, there are a zillion threads on this, but here is one I started some time ago https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=226419. It is not at all clear what these SS values (and supposed res) mean.

3. Probably need to say that Motion Reprojection needs to be enabled in the vrsettings file. Don't think it can be switched on in a GUI.

5. fps VR is an invaluable tool. I have used it extensively for a long time for testing and showing GPU/CPU load %ages and fps in VR. The SS values etc. are simply a reflection of what SteamVR is set to. It doesn't work independently of SteamVR.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2. not as simple as that. The whole SteamVR SS is a very confusing topic. For example, although my Reverb defaults to 150% ( 1972x1928 ), my Vive Pro defaults to 100% which SteamVR reports as 2016x2240! On the logic that one should set it to 'native resolution' the Vive Pro needs to go to 50%. Now, there are a zillion threads on this, but here is one I started some time ago https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=226419. It is not at all clear what these SS values (and supposed res) mean.

3. Probably need to say that Motion Reprojection needs to be enabled in the vrsettings file. Don't think it can be switched on in a GUI.

5. fps VR is an invaluable tool. I have used it extensively for a long time for testing and showing GPU/CPU load %ages and fps in VR. The SS values etc. are simply a reflection of what SteamVR is set to. It doesn't work independently of SteamVR.

Thanks for the clarification! Yea I think I was using your thread when I was messing with those values for my Odyssey. You're right it's a mess and doesn't really represent everything clearly which is why I am glad I heard ED will work on making it native so we dont have to use steam vr.

I always thought software side is much better for oculus, less buggy too.

I remember checking my VR settings file and motion reprojection was on but I don't remember doing anything to turn on that value other than ticking those settings under the video tab.

What do you think of the Reverb so far? You've only had it a day or two I think. I'm still trying to decide if it's a worthy upgrade over my original Odyssey, but then again most people that got the Reverb have a 2080ti and I chose not to upgrade past my 1080ti this past year. I'll wait a bit longer seeing it's not available for purchase in the US yet and hopefully more people on here that have a 1080ti will get one and report their findings too.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Thanks for the clarification! Yea I think I was using your thread when I was messing with those values for my Odyssey. You're right it's a mess and doesn't really represent everything clearly which is why I am glad I heard ED will work on making it native so we dont have to use steam vr.

I always thought software side is much better for oculus, less buggy too.

I remember checking my VR settings file and motion reprojection was on but I don't remember doing anything to turn on that value other than ticking those settings under the video tab.

What do you think of the Reverb so far? You've only had it a day or two I think. I'm still trying to decide if it's a worthy upgrade over my original Odyssey, but then again most people that got the Reverb have a 2080ti and I chose not to upgrade past my 1080ti this past year. I'll wait a bit longer seeing it's not available for purchase in the US yet and hopefully more people on here that have a 1080ti will get one and report their findings too.

Regarding my opinions on the Reverb, see my post #1260 here for my thoughts compared to my Vive Pro.

I still remain unconvinced, but after spending 2 or 3 days exclusively on the Reverb testing things out, I'm going to put my VP back on and review my opinions.

My biggest issue currently, is the lack of pop and dynamic range of colours in the LCD panels, and the softness of the image, particularly in DCS.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Oh and then there is the Bluetooth dongle I have had to order to get the controllers to work and carry on with the setup. They don't talk directly to the headset like Rift did - another nasty surprise. If your PC does not have built in Bluetooth you will need a dongle....I told you before, I have lots of luck........all bad. :cry:

No need for bluetooth dongle despite what it tells you in the windows set up... they are already paired direct to the headset... I have no bluetooth on my PC...

No idea what you've done, did you feed the gremlins after midnight or let water touch them?

My set was a simple plug in, let it do its stuff and go.... and no never looked at steam before..

SIGBLOCK.png

Great stuff. Now make sure your Windows 10 is up to date with 1809 because mine would not connect unless I updated to it. Also take a look at your extensible host usb drivers. If they say ASrock change them, if they do not say (Microsoft) on the end, change them.

For instance mine were Fresco Logic FL1100 series drivers and the headset would not be recognised by my PC. In device manager it showed up as a generic plug n play monitor.

Lots of googling found the usb driver set to be the problem. Apparently some enumeration issues with the headset using certain drivers.

I changed the drivers for others on my PC, rather than internet and found Fresco Logic (Microsoft) drivers and installed those.

The PC now detects the headset as a WMR device and opens up the WMR portal, but it still would not connect - just stuck on the connect your headset page. More googling recommended to download the latest version of Windows (1809), which I was trying to avoid doing due to the bug that affects resolution.

Duly downloaded 1809 over night because of a poor rural internet connection and other issues.

The headset then got past the connection page and I was advised by WMR portal that it needed to download yet more stuff. It's been grinding away for two hours already, downloading something.

Then I noticed my new steam account has an app called steam bootstrapper and it is taking up all my rural pittance of available bandwidth (a giddy 3.5 Mbps).

It has defaulted to loading on start, so I did not even know it was running. I killed it and disabled load on start. The WMR portal is now getting the bandwidth.

So almost 24 hours of trying to get it up and running with one problem after another.

Oh and then there is the Bluetooth dongle I have had to order to get the controllers to work and carry on with the setup. They don't talk directly to the headset like Rift did - another nasty surprise. If your PC does not have built in Bluetooth you will need a dongle.

It has certainly not been a plug n play thing, but most of the problems have been because of particular settings I had to get the best out of Oculus.

I don't suppose you will have the same problems, but the solutions are here if so.

I told you before, I have lots of luck........all bad. :cry:

Yikes! Sounds like the Samsung Odyssey all over again. That was the biggest thing I was dreading with the HP Reverb. Having to deal with that WMR crap again. Hopefully the increase in resolution will make it worth all the trouble. That's disappointing to read about the controllers not pairing to the headset. HP claimed that it was a direct connection and that a dongle wasn't required. That was a while ago, so maybe they're no longer making that claim. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the heads-up Tinkickef.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yikes! .....That's disappointing to read about the controllers not pairing to the headset. HP claimed that it was a direct connection and that a dongle wasn't required. That was a while ago, so maybe they're no longer making that claim. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the heads-up Tinkickef.

Mine was pre-paired and the setup was painless. Windows set up may at one stage say that it cannot find bluetooth on your PC just ignore it. You do not need bluetooth on your PC...

It is also mentioned that a bug exists in Win10 1809 as far as I am aware 1809 is good.... and issue however exists in v 1903

SIGBLOCK.png

Having to do all this faffing about with WMR devices is not going to help VR gain mainstream adaptation. MS should really address that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I plugged in the Reverb, everything installed automatically and I was up in about 10min. It's the joys of PC gaming.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Having to do all this faffing about with WMR devices is not going to help VR gain mainstream adaptation. MS should really address that.

'Faffing about' and 'address what'. I found no issue... and no more difficult that setting up DCS...

SIGBLOCK.png

'Faffing about' and 'address what'. I found no issue... and no more difficult that setting up DCS...

I can only say that after my experience of WMR over the last 2 or 3 days, it is horrible compared to using SteamVR on the VP or Oculus software on the Rift.

The whole interface with SteamVR is clunky. One example being that pushing in the thumbstick brings up SteamVR and makes it impossible to use in WMR Home to activate free movement. I lose the mouse cursor sometimes when I load up DCS. Then, I need to quit from WMR Home, DCS and SteamVR and try again.

I get occasional black screens in the headset, and horrible loading flashing images when DCS is loading.

The WMR options are very limited compared to SteamVR, etc. etc.

And, I'm not going to even mention the controllers!

Stick it in its box and fire it back!

My experience is completely different.

The controllers I used for 10 seconds in the demo software.. that's it.. the batteries are now back in the TV remotes..

Sure there are flashes on loading DCS - suppose something similar to the frozen distorted screens that are always present in the Rift.

Coming after a long time on the Rift I find the Reverb brilliant in DCS...clarity and resolution is everything... and several hundred pounds cheaper than going the Index pro or the Vibe pro route..

It met my expectations based on internet reviews etc so I'm happy.... others may not be.... some like blue, some like pink etc....

SIGBLOCK.png

Mine was pre-paired and the setup was painless. Windows set up may at one stage say that it cannot find bluetooth on your PC just ignore it. You do not need bluetooth on your PC...

It is also mentioned that a bug exists in Win10 1809 as far as I am aware 1809 is good.... and issue however exists in v 1903

Thanks Gizzy. I'll see how it goes when it gets here.

I've gotta say that I agree with dburne and imacken about the faffing about though. The way the Oculus software works should be the gold standard for any VR interface. I'm sure WMR is a snap for people who have been using third party apps like SteamVR for a while. Like anything else, you get accustomed to the idiosyncrasies and things become easy. But for first-timers who have been spoiled by manufacturer-provided interface apps, it really can be a frustrating, discouraging experience dealing with WMR. For me its a lot like the days when glass cockpits started finding their way into GA aircraft. I absolutely hated that, but eventually got used to it, and now I'm one of the local Garmin G1000 experts. But, to this day, I still think steam gauges and individual radios are better.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Stick it in its box and fire it back!

My experience is completely different.

The controllers I used for 10 seconds in the demo software.. that's it.. the batteries are now back in the TV remotes..

Sure there are flashes on loading DCS - suppose something similar to the frozen distorted screens that are always present in the Rift.

Coming after a long time on the Rift I find the Reverb brilliant in DCS...clarity and resolution is everything... and several hundred pounds cheaper than going the Index pro or the Vibe pro route..

It met my expectations based on internet reviews etc so I'm happy.... others may not be.... some like blue, some like pink etc....

We were only talking about WMR and the controllers, nothing to do with the headset.

Does anyone know of a workaround for the mouse pointer? I keep having to press Windows key and Y to get it to work.
What I did to remedy this on the odyssey is just put on the headset, wait for cliff house to come up. Hit the Windows key then go to the desktop app. Your desktop shows up. Double click dcs shortcut from there. After that no more messing with the mouse going off the screen or VR window area. It's how you are meant to use wmr. If you start wmr app in windows first then put on the headset, it will think you are still out the headset so the mouse looses focus. It used to drive me nuts but now every time I want to fly I just launch everything from inside the VR headset.

Thanks Gizzy. I'll see how it goes when it gets here.

I've gotta say that I agree with dburne and imacken about the faffing about though. The way the Oculus software works should be the gold standard for any VR interface. I'm sure WMR is a snap for people who have been using third party apps like SteamVR for a while. Like anything else, you get accustomed to the idiosyncrasies and things become easy. But for first-timers who have been spoiled by manufacturer-provided interface apps, it really can be a frustrating, discouraging experience dealing with WMR. For me its a lot like the days when glass cockpits started finding their way into GA aircraft. I absolutely hated that, but eventually got used to it, and now I'm one of the local Garmin G1000 experts. But, to this day, I still think steam gauges and individual radios are better.

Yeah that is really what I am talking about, in regards to more mainstream adaptation.

DCS users are going to be by nature more inclined to be able to deal with getting their WMR device plugged in and running their software, than say the average everyday user which is what VR needs to become more mainstream.

Oculus has done a good job with their software and hardware in this department. I believe the Rift S and especially the Quest are good steps in that direction. Albeit Oculus has had I am sure more issues with the Rift S than they would have liked - namely in the black screen issues. I am sure they will get them ironed out but also I am sure there are several that returned them and gave up on them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|