[DCS BUG] Mirror not working as a mirror

uri_ba

Not sure if it's a DCS bug or an F-14 bug.

but mirrors are not working like mirrors. Tested in VR only (no TIR/FOV shenanigans here)

As far as mirrors go, AFAIK if you stick you nose into a mirror, your face will stare back at you..

this is not the case as shown in the attached vid. even further, when you move closer the the top mirror you can clearly see FOV changes as you move forward. again, not how mirrors work.

May be out of scope for now, but wanted to put it on record.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtube.com/?v=YJt3uNhkDww[/YOUTUBE]

The following line is not for HB but for you trolls. :)

I'm no expert in F-14, I don't need to be in order to know a mirror in not working as intended.

at this subject an SME, which i'm probably not, will be an optician, physicist or any other scientifically educated person that have access to a mirror.

Edited by IronMike

Not sure if it's a DCS bug or an F-14 bug.

but mirrors are not working like mirrors. Tested in VR only (no TIR/FOV shenanigans here)

As far as mirrors go, AFAIK if you stick you nose into a mirror, your face will stare back at you..

this is not the case as shown in the attached vid. even further, when you move closer the the top mirror you can clearly see FOV changes as you move forward. again, not how mirrors work.

May be out of scope for now, but wanted to put it on record.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtube.com/?v=YJt3uNhkDww[/YOUTUBE]

The following line is not for HB but for you trolls. :)

I'm no expert in F-14, I don't need to be in order to know a mirror in not working as intended.

at this subject an SME, which i'm probably not, will be an optician, physicist or any other scientifically educated person that have access to a mirror.

I had this issue and after doing repair and deleting FXO and metashaders folder content from saved games the mirrors returned. However, my framerates don't allow me to keep them on :(

The ability to activate/deactivate on the fly with M is nice- you get to see them when you need to (deck salute, looking cool, screenshots, etc), and put them away when you don't (the rest of the time).

to be honest ... this was my rule for a long time too, until joining ACG server.

Then, after ACG disappeared from my radar, mirrors lost importance for me.

Yesterday, while searching for enemies flying in the F-15, a look to the central mirror literally saved my ass. A Su-33 was starting to engage me, and luckily I was able to deploy chaffs and flares right after I saw the smoke trail of an incoming missile. Together with a hard turn I managed to escape and blow the guy out of the sky.

Underestimating the importance of mirrors is not the best strategy, at least for me :)

See further reports of this issue:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229419

It seems reported:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3863438

and here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222321

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

This is a general DCS issue as mirrors actually aren't mirrors, but viewports that show a different camera which is also why they pixel up like MFD. And eat up tons of frames. Real time reflection has been done 20 years ago already without fps loss... just sayin' rainbowdashwink.png

I was hoping this was going to be changed with 2.5... but the letdown came instead fluttershysad.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I had this issue and after doing repair and deleting FXO and metashaders folder content from saved games the mirrors returned. However, my framerates don't allow me to keep them on :(

I actually deleted them 5 mins after this video was taken in an attempt to fix black mouse.

I'll check mirrors again later today.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
On 3/29/2019 at 5:57 PM, Eldur said:

This is a general DCS issue as mirrors actually aren't mirrors, but viewports that show a different camera which is also why they pixel up like MFD. And eat up tons of frames. Real time reflection has been done 20 years ago already without fps loss... just sayin'

That's because they're not implemented as reflective surfaces, but as picture-in-picture viewports, an older way of doing them that gave OK results on pancake, in VR not so much. This tech was revolutionary in its time, I remember what a deal it was when it came to ArmA, but today its shortcomings are beginning to bite. In some modules, you can actually get a more realistic picture with mirrors off (since they become proper reflections then), but unfortunately, the reflection in this case is low-res and doesn't help a whole lot. If this effect could be tuned to replace PIP mirrors, FPS would improve and visuals would be better, as well.

• Like 2

I don't think the way mirrors work is anything Heatblur can change.

Pretty sure it's a rendering engine limitation, and nothing short of changing some or all of the fundamental rendering techniques the game engine uses will make them appear with correct 3D parallax in VR (like the other sim).

Edited by kablamoman
  • Like 1

I'm not familiar with how things like that implemented... But from this discussion - The current way is using the mirrors as "viewports" that show a certain picture.- like MFDs..

The second method is to set the "material" of the mirror to be "reflective". Correct?

I mean, if mirrors works fine in the F/A-18C, why can't the same method be used in the F-14? Does it require an overhaul of the whole cockpit?  

3 hours ago, nickos86 said:

I mean, if mirrors works fine in the F/A-18C, why can't the same method be used in the F-14? Does it require an overhaul of the whole cockpit?  

Curious what you mean by this, I prefer the mirrors in the Tomcat when it comes to visual quality.

2 hours ago, Spurts said:

Curious what you mean by this, I prefer the mirrors in the Tomcat when it comes to visual quality.

Only that there is a technical solution to get "mirrors" in VR. Currently, there is no mirrors at all in VR. I don't go into what looks better...