Is it me or is the F14 getting owned in multiply Player?

budguy68

Hey, Hummingbird,

I think that is a very cool offer, and in a like spirit I’d love to do some friendly 1V1 I have both the F-15 and the F-14. I like the very impressive F-14 module, but I love the F-15 airplane :)

Excellent, if you want we can do some flying in the following days (perhaps even later today if you've got the time) :)

PM me your contact details and will get in touch with you :)

Don't worry I will be sure to record it.

Already have four tacview replays vs a very good F-15 pilot.

PS: You're also welcome to give it a try, and I want to make clear that I presented this challenge purely in good spirit, and that it is not an attempt at boasting. I just want to show how an atleast somewhat properly flown Tomcat fares against the opposition in BFM. So anyone up for some friendly DACT is welcome to answer the call :)

I've set up a 1v1 scenario with multiple choice aircraft in a dried out riverbed on the Nevada map.

Pay Per View?

Viewpoints are my own.

Tacview of the first F14vsF15 guns only fight (my tag is BRABUS):

Gbo3nlLXIME

Pilot skills and tactics !

Would you mind commenting your engagements so we could learn a few things out of them ?

Edited by Panther 976

Pilot skills and tactics !

Would you mind commenting your engagements so we could learn a few things out of them ?

Well I guess I could try at some point, although I've never tried that before so I'd have to figure out how to present it best. Or I could simply ask Growling Sidewinder to dub our fights :P

Anyway here's the next fight. Now this one is a pretty simple one where I stuck with a left hand turn and in the end simply outturned him. At one point however I made an almost fatal mistake after I briefly lost visual by allowing Galm to drop below my nose, and then he pulls a very aggressive high alpha move which I'm sure very nearly had or perhaps even for a split second had me in his crosshairs.

JHzk9_Zn72o

In short these two birds are close, and pilot mistakes will make a big difference. However if there's one thing we've learned from these bouts it's this: Do NOT try to fight the Tomcat in the horizontal if you're in an Eagle, you WILL get outturned.

Edited by Hummingbird

Nice flyingHummingbird! No offense to the Eagle driver, but the part from 1:50 onwards when he basically just gives up was pretty amusing >.>

I believe he was trying to see if he could gain seperation with a 9 G sustained pull. This was our first fight after all, and Galm hadn't flown the F-14 prior to this engagement so he didn't know exactly what to expect from it in terms of performance.

Leave me to my fantasies damn it! ;)

;)

Galm is an excellent pilot, and also managed to shoot me down in the Eagle in another bout, albeit it was in a head on.

That said afterwards he practiced a bit in the F-14 and already on his third try in the thing he managed to shoot me down whilst I was flying the F-15.

Great videos Hummingbird!

You can see the differences with the rate versus radius. You see the Psub are very similar. Like I was told by B/D pilots, the Eagles can just out roll them..

Keep up the great work

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hahahahahahahahaha

Sorry, but the F-14 is the more capable airplane as it will outturn, outclimb and outrun the F/A-18. The F/A-18 is merely easier to fly.

The F/A-18's advantage is its available weapons systems, AIM120 & AIM-9X, but level the playing fields and only allow it the same AIM-9L and AIM-7 Sparrow as the F-14 and it's got nothing over the cat.

I'm not sure the F-14D would fair much better than the B against the Hornet or F-15 in the weapons department since it never got AMRAAMs. I can see how Link-16 combined with the faster APG-71 and modern HUD would benefit the Super Cat in situational awareness. The DFCS would mitigate some of the temperamental control issues that come with the F-14A/B too.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

I know that it has been prematurely said before that the age of the dogfight is over but today missile systems are extremely capable and the way to avoid being shot down is more and more about avoiding getting into the envelope where missiles are kinematically difficult to outmanouver. Secondly, there have been huge advances in radar and electronic warfare lately so older semi-analogue systems would not fare well against modern SW flexible systems. For example, a modern fighter with an AESA radar and state of the art ECM like the JAS39 Gripen with a mix of Meteors and AMRAAMs would make short work of an older system no matter if it has better platform manouverability.

Old Crow ECM motto: Those who talk don't know and those who know don't talk........

http://www.crows.org/about/mission-a-history.html

Pilum aka Holtzauge

Plus wouldn't the Tomcat D eventually have gotten the X if it had stuck around??? From talking to different pilots here a lot of guys use the Aim-7 over the 120 simply because it kills less friendlies.....

Yes, the D was supposed to have gotten the AMRAAM integrated and it was tested (A and B were a different story due to the older radar), but since the D program was killed by Cheney (cutting the numbers to 37 new built and 18 upgraded from 200 originally ordered by the Navy), the Navy directed the money towards the LTS pod instead counting on the A2G mission to be more useful since the A-6E was retired and Super Hornet was still years away.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I apologize ahead of time, but this is such an absurd statement I can not stop myself. It is a logical fallacy to assume that because one item replaces another that it is in anyway better. The Hornet is better, but primarily on the accounting sheet, not in any combat scenario. Since I assume that the multi-player arenas are like any other online games, the equipment is only loosely being used in any way similar to their intended use. Again, I apologize for this post.

Salute,

In a dogfight F-18s are going to be more maneuverable. The scenarios described are more close range encounters, where that's going to be a factor. Ergo, yes, it's better in this scenario where the Tomcat's uber radar and missiles are irrelevant and people are fighting on more even footing. It's also a generally more stable aircraft and easier to fly, so again, better. Tomcats are excellent aircraft, but this isn't Top Gun and they don't have plot armor.

And in a real-world scenario, yes being pricey and high maintenance is a disadvantage that affects combat readiness and whether something stays in service. Logistics is a factor even back in WWII that caused perfectly serviceable aircraft like P-39s and P-40s to get relegated to non-US forces not because they were inferior, but because they were unsuitable. Not everything is about max Gs and roll rate in the real world.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2