F-16 Viper Cockpit in VR

Eaglewings

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a stupid question at all!

I assumed there isn't a in-game seat recline adjustment option. Is there?

No there isn't. I think you mentioned seat height in your post, so I assumed that was what you meant, sorry.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Me too. The stick is right size, F-16 MFD is the right size at 4 inches, my shoulders feel like they're gonna touch the side bars, everything looks like it should from what I've seen on youtube.

Just shows the variety of personal results.

I have been staring at life size dimensionally correct f16 dashboard/UFC including `3D` ICP for years including reclining seat. The force ipd adjustment for me now allows my hands to invisibly move almost to the exact spot and operate real switches by muscle memory while vision is in VR.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

I have an Oculus rift s. For me readability of the HUD and displays is much better in the viper than the hornet. I really struggle in the hornet and have to zoom in or lean in to read the text.

That's most probably thanks to the fuzziness issue that hasn't been fixed yet, which doesn't come up as apparent on lower resolutions, never had it on screen either, both Rift and my screen are 1200px height.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Agreed. I have to practically snap my spine to reach back and flip those far aft switches.

Look at right, recenter the view, now look at the left and flip switches etc, and then look at center and recenter the view.

Easy... :-P

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I have come to opinion that ED should compromise the realism in the HUD/MFD graphics when it comes to VR, meaning that there should be a tap in Special Settings to enable a VR optimized HUD and VR optimized MFD, that makes the line graphics thinner, fonts couple points larger and fonts are set to more VR friendly.

That would help the VR users to see better and more sharply the texts and numbers when there is no double lining, round fonts with bold etc.

What are the actual display definitions in the Hornet and Viper MFD's? They can't be 1024x1024 or so? I would guess they are closer to 640 x 640 or 800 x 800 than anything higher, so all graphics rendering there should be limited to that.

The HUD is now a projector using vector graphics if not enabling the raster mode (like AV-8B N/A HUD for FLIR) but those ain't high definition either.

I want to agree with your proposition but it is hard to tell what priority would be given to a suggestion like this. It is definitely a smart way to make the cockpits in vr more user friendly.

I do not want to be too picky on the F-16, but the font and sharpness of the two MFDs in the Viper is lacking for me.

The MFDs in other modules I have and very clear in vr.

Just switched to a desktop platform and I see a huge difference in performance for vr. While the dials and switches are good, the Viper MFDs are still a challenge. It has this dullness in appearance. Fonts and radar contact are washed out from the default head position. Zooming helps alright but not as required in other aircrafts.

The display resolution setting in dcs system page does not seems to do much here. I have played with 256 up to 1024 and no perceived change.

All these notwithstanding, I am enjoying the Viper and hoping an MFD mod comes along down the road.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

It has this dullness in appearance. Fonts and radar contact are washed out from the default head position.

If there is a 4 flight formation at 20 nm distance and they are normal spread, I have difficulties to see any individual box in when at 20 nm scope range. It is literally selecting the target with the radar cursor by the guess of the position of the "enemy line" that it would be one on the edge or the nearest at center. Maybe this is why there is the "Extend" mode so you can quickly get better view of the area to select your targets.... Hopefully that comes out soon.

I fly with the Pimax, and the cockpit of the F-16 is top-notch, with the exception of the MFD issue. The lines are dim and hard to see, and anything that is supposed to be more faded / darker green is nearly invisible. The translucent panel w/ the reflections over top are kind of distracting, and I wonder if in VR they are making everything behind them harder to see.

The HUD and HMCD could stand to be a little brighter / more intense, as they can be hard to see against sunlit clouds, but that might be realistic. No big complaints there. Just the MFCDs.

Everything else... dang. The F-16 cockpit is a reason to own VR, and to own a Pimax, all by itself. It even edges out the Tomcat.

I want to agree with your proposition but it is hard to tell what priority would be given to a suggestion like this. It is definitely a smart way to make the cockpits in vr more user friendly.

I do not want to be too picky on the F-16, but the font and sharpness of the two MFDs in the Viper is lacking for me.

The MFDs in other modules I have and very clear in vr.

Just switched to a desktop platform and I huge difference in performance for vr. While the dials and switches are good, the Viper MFDs are still a challenge. It has this dullness in appearance. Fonts and radar contact are washed out from the default head position. Zooming helps alright but not as required in other aircrafts.

The display resolution setting in dcs system page does not seems to do much here. I have played with 256 up to 1024 and no perceived change.

All these notwithstanding, I am enjoying the Viper and hoping an MFD mod comes along down the road.

You only need a HP Reverb for all these things, then you Fly in VR with Screen Resolution. I tested the Reverb and one Day later,I sold my Rift S instantly

More important for VR,is a Pilot Body in the Cockpit.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

I have read good clarity reports from the reverb. Plan is to stick with my present vr which is my first VR headset and wait for next big upgrade in consumer vr or subsequently get the reverb.

I am just looking at a comparative accessment of the Viper's MFD and other aircrafts. The MFD is not that sharp even on the 2d monitor. The pale grey-blue background does not contrast well with the font color of symbols on the MFD.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

23 yrs USAF MSgt retired AMMO Munitions Tech

Red Flag 4 times

Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.7, FE RTX 2070 Super, 32 gig ddr 4 @2933, 500gig m.2...850 evo 240 ssd, 1 tb 7200rpm storage drive, X56 HOTAS,

Track Ir 5-retired....HP Reverb v2...VR

F 16C blk 50

F/A-18C lot 20

Community A-4E

Mirage 2000

I did not read all replys in this forum topic.

Regarding F16 and vr.

In my oppinion the HUD is more difficult to read than in other planes and here is a tip to make the text more clear.

Try pushing your vr headset left and right while you wear it, do the text become more easy to read ??

If yes then you maybe have to adjust your IPD ( eye distance )

Try turning you head a little so you do not look 100% into the hud or digital display of the radio channel and then adjust the settings while you do so for best quality.

Els you can in the settings make the cockpit larger by changing a feature that is named something with named "fixed ipd" ( or something like that )

That might also help a little bit.

Also try to tighten your Vr headset so it is pushing harder against your face.. maybe even consider buying some new soft pads for the vr headset that are either thicker og thinner.

But in general remember the F16 is in early development, lets hope the hud get more easy to read as times goes by or at least we our self can adjust how far away the hud text is via a slider.

( it would be ideal if its as easy to read as in the f18 )

Regarding the MFD's then i recommend to learn forward to read them, or use the vr zoom function/seat adjustment to move forward a bit in the cockpit.

Alternative use the fast vr zoom function under ( game UI settings, in the drop down menu )

Oh and set the ingame brightness to 1,4 so game is a bit darker might help.

( i fly with a pimax 5k+ .. In the start i also had problems reading the text but after i did the above it became much better and more easy to read.. howver in some situations its still difficult example when the light/horizon is in a special angle/brightness

You only need a HP Reverb for all these things, then you Fly in VR with Screen Resolution. I tested the Reverb and one Day later,I sold my Rift S instantly

More important for VR,is a Pilot Body in the Cockpit.

Not necessarily true at all. I had the Reverb for a few days before I gave up on it because of my IPD being 58. It was VERY clear but that does not explain the nasty ass looking MFD's in the Viper. Period. Go fly the Harrier and Hornet with whatever settings you're using for the Viper and tell me they don't look 100 times better than the Viper....

Pull up any Youtube video of the Viper's MFD's and compare. I have a Samsung 49" 144hz gaming monitor and they look like shit on it as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I did not read all replys in this forum topic.

Regarding F16 and vr.

In my oppinion the HUD is more difficult to read than in other planes and here is a tip to make the text more clear.

Try pushing your vr headset left and right while you wear it, do the text become more easy to read ??

If yes then you maybe have to adjust your IPD ( eye distance )

Try turning you head a little so you do not look 100% into the hud or digital display of the radio channel and then adjust the settings while you do so for best quality.

Els you can in the settings make the cockpit larger by changing a feature that is named something with named "fixed ipd" ( or something like that )

That might also help a little bit.

Also try to tighten your Vr headset so it is pushing harder against your face.. maybe even consider buying some new soft pads for the vr headset that are either thicker og thinner.

But in general remember the F16 is in early development, lets hope the hud get more easy to read as times goes by or at least we our self can adjust how far away the hud text is via a slider.

( it would be ideal if its as easy to read as in the f18 )

Regarding the MFD's then i recommend to learn forward to read them, or use the vr zoom function/seat adjustment to move forward a bit in the cockpit.

Alternative use the fast vr zoom function under ( game UI settings, in the drop down menu )

Oh and set the ingame brightness to 1,4 so game is a bit darker might help.

( i fly with a pimax 5k+ .. In the start i also had problems reading the text but after i did the above it became much better and more easy to read.. howver in some situations its still difficult example when the light/horizon is in a special angle/brightness

All of these are good tips. However, the fact remains the MFD's and HUD are not good. All I'm looking for is an acknowledgement and that they will be addressed in the future. I don't think ED has done either as of today.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

All of these are good tips. However, the fact remains the MFD's and HUD are not good. All I'm looking for is an acknowledgement and that they will be addressed in the future. I don't think ED has done either as of today.

Which is proven by the pics I took a few pages back. You just can't improve the image sharpness either with Supersampling AA, which basically is what PD does if set above 1. It looks worse on the shots than it is in the HMD, since I can't read the HUD at all on that pic, but I can do so in the Rift (even at PD 1.0), but it's hard. As said earlier I guess the dimensions are realistic, but as someone suggested already, some user friendly improvements beyond realism in the special options might do the trick. Regarding the MFDs, one huge factor is the static reflection as well, just as a side note.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Simply comparing the Viper to the Hornet and Mirage tonight proved beyond a doubt there are graphical issues with the HUD and MFD's. Obviously if you zoom in they look great but you should be able to read them easily at a glance. The HUD in both the Hornet and Mirage are crystal clear. For a long time, reading the MPCD in the Hornet couldn't be done without zoom (at least in the CV1) but that had more to do with the angle at which you had to look to see it. It was low, out of the sweet spot. I'm not sure what changed but it got a lot better before I bought my Index. With the Mirage, I always had an issue reading the panels on the left and right consoles but as of tonight I don't even have to lean in to see them. So what's the difference? I think part of it is the cockpit camera may be out of focus. In other words, as you change your viewing distance by adjusting "cockpit camera view up, down, forward, back, left and right", it's not focusing to meet the distance from objects in the cockpit. Hopefully that makes sense. Or, it could be really bad textures. Regardless, the 16 currently has the worst looking cockpit textures of any module. Including FC3 aircraft.

Something else I've noticed since the last updates. Upon release, I was using my standard settings for the Index which are about as high as can be run before FPS craters. I was flying the Hornet exclusively and without going in to all the SteamVR settings details I was not able to use MSAA @ 2x which I wanted because that was too much combined with my other settings. However, the day the Viper was released, I was able to keep my SteamVR settings AND turn on MSAA to 2x. In other words the Viper had less overhead at release. Although, it also had way more aliasing than the Hornet so I needed MSAA to clean some (but not all) of it up. Since the last update, all of that overhead is gone and I now have to take all of my SteamVR settings down and turn off MSAA to stay at 45 FPS. The aliasing is terrible now as well.

Whatever was in the last patch or prior one to that has killed whatever optimization the Viper released with.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not necessarily true at all. I had the Reverb for a few days before I gave up on it because of my IPD being 58. It was VERY clear but that does not explain the nasty ass looking MFD's in the Viper. Period. Go fly the Harrier and Hornet with whatever settings you're using for the Viper and tell me they don't look 100 times better than the Viper....

Pull up any Youtube video of the Viper's MFD's and compare. I have a Samsung 49" 144hz gaming monitor and they look like shit on it as well.

I fly daily the F-16 and FA/18 the last Days and I see no Problems on HUD and MFD's,but I have IPD 63 and the Reverb works perfect for me.

I think also,the F-16 is still EA and becomes more and more better. I can't understand, the missing Pilot Bodys in the Cockpit also,for the most Modules in DCS. This is a Nogo in VR Times,because you fly like Hollowman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

I fly daily the F-16 and FA/18 the last Days and I see no Problems on HUD and MFD's,but I have IPD 63 and the Reverb works perfect for me.

I think also,the F-16 is still EA and becomes more and more better. I can't understand, the missing Pilot Bodys in the Cockpit also,for the most Modules in DCS. This is a Nogo in VR Times,because you fly like Hollowman

That's so true a pilot body is a must and this will give even more immersion! But I think is work in progress. The size and scale of the cockpit in my opinion is great.

The HUD it looks very ok for me but the MFD's are hard to read, not so dramatic the mfd buttons, but to lock a flying target I need to zoom 100%, not easy when you are preparing to engage. (Oculus Rift S)

Without VR I would say its on the limit to read the mfd's.

Here is an interesting video of the mfd's brightness irl (the go pro though its a bit higher from pilots eyes):

in the 3:27 of the video its clearly bright enough to see the targets in the air.

Edited by Bogias

I agree compared to the Hornet the MFDs are harder to read in VR, though they are smaller/further away (or so it seems) so perhaps that accounts for some of the difference. They certainly aren’t totally illegible though while I never zoom in to look at a targets attitude in the Hornet I will often in the Viper. Most of the time my impression from a distance was correct but still I can’t be sure so will check.

Perhaps the font needs some tweaking for VR, without breaking realism it shouldn’t be too hard to make it more legible.

I agree compared to the Hornet the MFDs are harder to read in VR, though they are smaller/further away (or so it seems) so perhaps that accounts for some of the difference. They certainly aren’t totally illegible though while I never zoom in to look at a targets attitude in the Hornet I will often in the Viper. Most of the time my impression from a distance was correct but still I can’t be sure so will check.

Perhaps the font needs some tweaking for VR, without breaking realism it shouldn’t be too hard to make it more legible.

very well explained, totally agree :thumbup:

That's so true a pilot body is a must and this will give even more immersion! But I think is work in progress. The size and scale of the cockpit in my opinion is great.

The HUD it looks very ok for me but the MFD's are hard to read, not so dramatic the mfd buttons, but to lock a flying target I need to zoom 100%, not easy when you are preparing to engage. (Oculus Rift S)

Without VR I would say its on the limit to read the mfd's.

Here is an interesting video of the mfd's brightness irl (the go pro though its a bit higher from pilots eyes):

in the 3:27 of the video its clearly bright enough to see the targets in the air.

It's interesting,that the ED A-10C, also don't have a Pilot Body and it's not EA. A Pilot body is really necessary for VR User in General,because otherwise a Missing Body kills immersion complete.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's interesting,that the ED A-10C, also don't have a Pilot Body and it's not EA. A Pilot body is really necessary for VR User in General,because otherwise a Missing Body kills immersion complete.

Yes unfortunately I think we have to be patient with this. It was one of the basic first things I was hoping with vipers release.

I have the mirage and it used to have a nice pilot body but its gone long time ago :noexpression: they are making a new one I think.

The size of the cockpit is perfect for me at forced IPD set to 53. Other than the MFD clarity and HUD brightness I love the cockpit. Yesterday was the first time I've flown something different than the Viper since it's release. I'm glad you Reverb users are happy with the MFD's and HUD. That satisfaction is not universal when using another HMD or using a monitor. As is obvious from comments on this thread :D

Normally I don't care for the pilot body because it gets in the way of switches in the 18 but I agree it's a must for the 16.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]