F-16 Viper Cockpit in VR

Eaglewings

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, there is something wrong then. SteamVR SS is excellent at sharpening. Better than DCS PD.

I run at 204% in SteamVR SS and 1.0 PD.

Pushing a higher SS definitely improved the sharpness of the cockpit dials but left and right console label still fuzzy for the Viper.

Happy with the progress.

It looks a lot better but tweaking the best SS that will reduce the micro stuttering and freezes.

I seeing the stuttering in wmr portal window and this stuttering is getting into dcs world.

Flying in the Viper Cockpit gives a strong vertigo awareness. This is just great. I hope it would not wear away. Once had this sensation when I first flew in vr.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

There is seat height adjustment on the right wall.

That was it. Thanks a lot.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Not sure if mentioned before here, but is it just me or does the cockpit appear to be slightly to dark?

Especially the left and right consoles seem a bit too dark in vr (which doesn't help the already quite poor readability with the cv1 :(). Tried inceasing gamma to 2.4 (have it at 1.8 in the Hornet), but somehow it's still very dark

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Not sure if mentioned before here, but is it just me or does the cockpit appear to be slightly to dark?

Especially the left and right consoles seem a bit too dark in vr (which doesn't help the already quite poor readability with the cv1 :(). Tried inceasing gamma to 2.4 (have it at 1.8 in the Hornet), but somehow it's still very dark

Maybe, but just turn up the console and instrument lighting and it’s fine.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

So after a few hours I really need to say that I'm disappointed from the cockpit and hope that it is WIP.

All the gauges and also the text seems very blurry and unclear. Flying the F-14 and especially the F-18 is a world in difference.

Yes, the MFDs are small, but they are also hard to read. I would guess that the MFDs on the A-10 are the same size, however it is much more easier for me to read them then the viper ones.

It would not be that big game breaker for me if everything would stay as it is, but, however, I don't see it up on the line like the on top modules are at the moment.

O+, SteamVR 150%, PD 1.0, IPD standard.

MFD in the a10 is 5x5 inches. F16 is 4x4 inches.

I think the way the panel holding the ICP is built in the Viper contributes to the blurry state of the MFD. The ICP panel extend out into one's face far longer than the that of the FA-18C and A-10C thereby making the MFD screen deep set. Generally in vr, the farther away an object is, the more fuzzy it become.

That being said the contrast and sharpness of the font used for labeling in both the MFD and switches is lacking in readable texture.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Any of you guys use VR Zoom? I find the screens fine in the Rift-S but if there is something I can't quite see I just zoom in.. Problem solved. And now we have the super VR zoom you can read every single pixel of the screen lol

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Any of you guys use VR Zoom? I find the screens fine in the Rift-S but if there is something I can't quite see I just zoom in.. Problem solved. And now we have the super VR zoom you can read every single pixel of the screen lol

Man using the VR zoom in the cockpit now is freaky after the speed increase. I feel like the MFD or whatever I am looking at is gonna smash me in the face lol.

Was perfect before, never understood the need for turbo-zoom speed.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Once used to it, I find turbo zoom so much better. It used to take so long to zoom before.

Also I'm not talking about turbo zoom. I'm talking about "Spyglass VR Zoom" thats in the UI layer controls. its like VR zoom but with 3x more zoomed in.. I can see ground units easily now.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I am sure that different eyesight, VR manufacturers, computer setups, etc.. WILL have something to do with all of this...

All I can say... With the reverb, I have zero issues reading things in the pit and it looks fantastic...

+1

A lot of varying factors in the mix.

Man using the VR zoom in the cockpit now is freaky after the speed increase. I feel like the MFD or whatever I am looking at is gonna smash me in the face lol.

Was perfect before, never understood the need for turbo-zoom speed.

Too slow old man.

tumblr_mx6kz9Nyp91qhoztdo1_400.gif

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Too slow old man.

Yep - I am more an old-skool kinda guy

giphy.gif

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am sure that different eyesight, VR manufacturers, computer setups, etc.. WILL have something to do with all of this...

All I can say... With the reverb, I have zero issues reading things in the pit and it looks fantastic...

I've got a reverb on the way so we shall see how it looks after. In the original odyssey it didn't look it's best like the f18 and f14.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I've got a reverb on the way so we shall see how it looks after. In the original odyssey it didn't look it's best like the f18 and f14.
I will be keeping tab to know your thoughts from a Reverb perspective.

All the best.

For the most part I'm ok with the visuals other than the MFD's and HUD. I have the Index and after flying the 18 for the last few months, then switching to the Viper the difference for me was pretty stark. Now that I've had it and spent way too many hours in it I'm ok with most of it but MFD's are dark, almost like they have a masking effect on them and are only crisp and shiny when the sun hits them. Even then the contacts are very faded. The HUD has a diffused look and is not sharp or crisp at all when compared to the 18 and definitely not when compared to the Harrier.

This is what the MFD's should look like.. this is also a very cool video... watch till the end.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Something else I've noticed is the jet sits too low to the ground. It looks like I'm in a T-37 Tweet. I've tried different IPD settings but it doesn't seem to change the height.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

It might be related to the permanent reflection effect that ED have going on with the MFD's.

I was using the targeting pod and kept wondering what the shadowed shape was at the RH side of the LH MFD, then realised it is the static cockpit 'reflection'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For the most part I'm ok with the visuals other than the MFD's and HUD. I have the Index and after flying the 18 for the last few months, then switching to the Viper the difference for me was pretty stark. Now that I've had it and spent way too many hours in it I'm ok with most of it but MFD's are dark, almost like they have a masking effect on them and are only crisp and shiny when the sun hits them. Even then the contacts are very faded. The HUD has a diffused look and is not sharp or crisp at all when compared to the 18 and definitely not when compared to the Harrier.

This is what the MFD's should look like.. this is also a very cool video... watch till the end.

I think the yellow text on the MFD is easier to see. The font seems to be similar.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Rift S user here. Much easier to read panel text with hornet. Biggest problem for me with the Viper is that it feels like the seat is nearly chest level and I need to move my head down a little to see the full HUD. As if the cockpit was made for someone that has a VERY short torso.

Perceived seat height issue resolved for me. I adjusted the angle of my seat (IRL) to match the game position and now everything feels normal.

Yep - I am more an old-skool kinda guy

giphy.gif

I would think this more your speed ;)

giphy.gif

That being said ED could easily add a zoom speed slider.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Perceived seat height issue resolved for me. I adjusted the angle of my seat (IRL) to match the game position and now everything feels normal.

As far as inside the cockpit goes it's perfect for me @ between 51 and 55 IPD (worldview). It's looking outside at the ground that it seems very low. The 16 IS a small jet but you wouldn't want to jump out of the pit to the ground. I'm 6 feet tall and my head comes just at or above the middle of the fuselage. It feels like I'm looking out of my 4Runner right now regardless of IPD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It may seem like a stupid question, but why did you not just adjust the seat position in the Viper cockpit?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box