F-16 Viper Cockpit in VR

Eaglewings

Okie Dokie. Be warned that I don't understand IPD, DPA, PDA, PPD or OCD but I just jumped in for a 45 second smash into a mountain and the VR cockpit is, for me, the best yet, right out of the box. The MFD's, hud and all gauges are very clear. The only thing I can't clearly read in the pit is the white thing that is just in front of the throttle. Outside of that it's very clear and very smooth.

I have the RIft S and I've never adjusted a thing so maybe I just got lucky :)

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rift S user here. Much easier to read panel text with hornet. Biggest problem for me with the Viper is that it feels like the seat is nearly chest level and I need to move my head down a little to see the full HUD. As if the cockpit was made for someone that has a VERY short torso.

It's seems a bit cramped compared to the f14 and f18. Dcs ipd setting is at 63.5 for me and has always been like this. Not sure if I have that check box checked or not.

I'm using the original Odyssey and I do have some trouble reading the panel writing next to most of the switches. I do have to use vr zoom. I'm using same settings as other modules too, all high except shadows low and heat blur off, with a dcs pixel density of 1.5.

Not sure what steam vr settings I'm using but I did notice after not flying for months that steam vr did update.

I find the hornet much easier to read the labels without leaning in too much and the DDI's as well, I can read them in the hornet without too much lean in. Can't do that in the viper though because they are much smaller.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

As someone who has spent a lot of time in the real jet, I feel like the VR is pretty spot on. Not too big, not too small, scale feels right at home. My issue at the moment, is I can't read anything at all. The text is just too blurry on all consoles. The MFDs are impossible to read at the moment too.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

From your signature >>> Oculus Rift cv1 <<< You might have to step-up from that one to an HP Reverb or another VR HMD that offers a higher native resolution. With my Reverb, I have absolutely no problems reading anything in the Viper (as a side-note, the same is true for reading the speed gauge in the Christen Eagle II from the backseat). :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

As someone who has spent a lot of time in the real jet, I feel like the VR is pretty spot on. Not too big, not too small, scale feels right at home. My issue at the moment, is I can't read anything at all. The text is just too blurry on all consoles. The MFDs are impossible to read at the moment too.

Not having any trouble reading stuff in the Rift S. MFDs are some of the toughest to see clearly of all my DCS aircraft thou. but they are pretty tiny.

I did have a query - what are your thoughts on the 3D seat pan/cushion height? I use an Obutto rig so have the backrest reclined to match the 3D model, but the seat cushion seems really high, like belly-button high! - if I raise my seat so it matches my RL seat cushion height I am looking over the top of the HUD big time?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From your signature >>> Oculus Rift cv1 <<< You might have to step-up from that one to an HP Reverb or another VR HMD that offers a higher native resolution. With my Reverb, I have absolutely no problems reading anything in the Viper (as a side-note, the same is true for reading the speed gauge in the Christen Eagle II from the backseat). :)
That's my plan too and this is after not using my original odyssey for months. Put it on today and had I been flying daily like I used to, I think would have been fine. Having taken a break and God knows what steam updates did to the resolution I was used to, if felt off today just not as clear as I remember.

I do need to order a reverb soon I just don't want something else to come out that ends up being a better buy/option.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Not having any trouble reading stuff in the Rift S. MFDs are some of the toughest to see clearly of all my DCS aircraft thou. but they are pretty tiny.

I did have a query - what are your thoughts on the 3D seat pan/cushion height? I use an Obutto rig so have the backrest reclined to match the 3D model, but the seat cushion seems really high, like belly-button high! - if I raise my seat so it matches my RL seat cushion height I am looking over the top of the HUD big time?

***UPDATE*** All is better, deleted the shaders or what ever they are called in the fx folders in SG.

I am using the S (hadn't updated the signature), and it is too fuzzy to make out. Although I kind of know where things are for the most part.

MFDs may be tiny but they are not that hard to read IRL, I didn't need to plant my face on the MFD to read when I had some inflight seat time.

Seat pan is usually about or just slightly above the consoles but of course in an 30° angle. So the aft is slightly below, the front being slightly above...for a 6' giant like me with a fist gap to the canopy.

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

It`s clear and really good for me.. Rift S IPD is 55, Same as the Hornet! I love the forward visibility, only thing i find awkward is reaching the switches behind me, but hardly a breaker for me.. Thanks ED...

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

I am using the S (hadn't updated the signature), and it is too fuzzy to make out. Although I kind of know where things are for the most part.

MFDs may be tiny but they are not that hard to read IRL, I didn't need to plant my face on the MFD to read when I had some inflight seat time.

Seat pan is usually about or just slightly above the consoles but of course in an 30° angle. So the aft is slightly below, the front being slightly above...for a 6' giant like me with a fist gap to the canopy.

Hmm ok , thanks Panther - I may need to tweak my in-game IPD setting to increase game world scale a bit then.

May I ask what PD setting you are using? I am on 1.5 and all the panels are fine, I do need to lean in a little to perfectly make out say the info by a locked target. But can read the SMS page for example from normal position.

Do you wear glasses? I am longsighted but have prescription inserts.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It`s clear and really good for me.. Rift S IPD is 55, Same as the Hornet! I love the forward visibility, only thing i find awkward is reaching the switches behind me, but hardly a breaker for me.. Thanks ED...

Agreed. I have to practically snap my spine to reach back and flip those far aft switches.

GTX 1080ti FTW3, Intel I7 9700k 5.0Ghz Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370, Rift S

It's blurry/fuzzy in my Index. No idea why.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I just wish the MFDs were brighter. Even turning them all the way up, they seem dim and difficult to read.

This for me. I wish I could turn them up brighter, just to dim currently.

Besides that, I can read the mfd’s fine but a bit brighter would make it easier. Hud has no issues for me.

I have a Rift S as well.

Looks fantastic (and very readable) in my HP Reverb. No complaints or issues here. :thumbup:

I second this. Looks beautiful. :thumbup:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I think we should keep in mind that we have purchased "Pre-Release" software. I saw huge improvements in the DCS F/A-18 and in X-Plane in the first view months after the public release.

I really had to lean in to see the MFD's. The HUD was often blurry and one step above barely usable. I typically have pretty good luck with being able to see things in VR with the Rift S. I'm sure this will improve.

[SIZE="6"][SIZE="6"][FONT=Impact][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B][FONT=Arial Black]K A R L[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="5"][FONT=Times New Roman][I7-4770k/16GB RAM/ GTX 1080/ Oculus Rift S] [/FONT] [/FONT][/SIZE]

My rift s looks great. I can read the displays and hud no problem without zoom. Also, the group zoom is stupid fast in the f16, very performance looks at least as good as the harrier, way better than the f14 or f18.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hmm ok , thanks Panther - I may need to tweak my in-game IPD setting to increase game world scale a bit then.

May I ask what PD setting you are using? I am on 1.5 and all the panels are fine, I do need to lean in a little to perfectly make out say the info by a locked target. But can read the SMS page for example from normal position.

Do you wear glasses? I am longsighted but have prescription inserts.

Just got things looking good again. Seems deleting the shaders corrected the issue. My in game IPD is 63.5, using 1.7 PD with a forced OTT 1.3 modifier. Yes, I do wear glasses, thinking about getting the inserts myself. I just hate eye exams torture, need a new Rx for inserts.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am also having trouble reading the MFD's without leaning forward with an occulus Rift S and PD at 1.3. I don't know if it is the reflection on the MFD screen or a lack of contrast. It is not really enjoyable as is. I see that some of you have no problem at all so I'll keep tweaking my settings

Asus z170i pro gaming MB / i7-6700K OC 4.5Ghz /

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8GD / Ram 16gb DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz / SSD 500Gb / Oculus Rift S

I have been reading post here. It beats me that others with same Hmd like me O+ are okay with theirs in the Viper.

So tweaking continues for me. Forgot about the fx and metashader2 folder deleted option. Got to try that too.

As it is now, cannot enjoy the Viper in vr.

I am very aware this early release and banking my hope on some optimization from ED or some custom cockpit from our smart modders as was done in the F-14.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I find the Viper VR cockpit pretty much on a par with the Hornet which I felt had quite fuzzy DDIs. Something to do with the font used, I think.

Still not anything like as good as the Harrier VR, which I feel is the clearest.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box