F-16 Viper Cockpit in VR

Eaglewings

Just got things looking good again. Seems deleting the shaders corrected the issue. My in game IPD is 63.5, using 1.7 PD with a forced OTT 1.3 modifier. Yes, I do wear glasses, thinking about getting the inserts myself. I just hate eye exams torture, need a new Rx for inserts.

May you share your settings in DCS? How can u push PD1.7 and OTT1.3 with a 1080ti?

I owned a 1080ti too but I struggle at 1.3PD and OTT1.0... Although I am using vive

Did u change any settings in Nvidia panel too?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I had a problem with the cockpit in VR. I have VR tracking problems in general (thank you Windows Mixed Reality), but I'd say it's vastly better than on the F/A-18.

I will say... Wow... I can see why so many fighter pilots say that flying the F-16 is amazing because of the unimpeded view. I have a fear of heights, that mostly manifests as a fear of short-distance falling, and felt some vertigo while in the F-16 because of a lack of reference points.

To give perspective, I flew from Louisville, Kentucky to Washington DC for the first time in my life and had no problems looking out the window and seeing the view at 30,000 feet. We get to Ronald Reagan Airport and we're exiting via air stairs and I get vertigo from the door of a CRJ-700 (maybe 8 feet/2.5 meters).

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

I have been reading post here. It beats me that others with same Hmd like me O+ are okay with theirs in the Viper.

So tweaking continues for me. Forgot about the fx and metashader2 folder deleted option. Got to try that too.

As it is now, cannot enjoy the Viper in vr.

I am very aware this early release and banking my hope on some optimization from ED or some custom cockpit from our smart modders as was done in the F-14.

That's the first thing I did after I launched it in VR and realized it was a bit fuzzy. I have a regular odyssey and this weekend I'm thinking of ordering a Reverb. But I also haven't used my Odyssey in like 3 months so I don't know if I forgot how it is visually in there or what. But for sure the f18 and f14 with the clean label mod looks a lot clearer.

I also feel too close to the UFC in the viper seat so I need to mess around with the seat position.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Sze5003 my issue is that with the same setting, my Hornet, Tomcat, Warthog, blarkshark looks so great with my dcs PD at 1.3 and steamVR put at default values.

The MFD is where most stuff happens and I cannot just use MFD for anything. The two MFD are seating deep in the cockpit I have come to know the farther an object, the more blurry and fuzzy they are.

Some bit of improvement after deleting fx and metashader2 folder.

I want to understand something about the odyssey plus resolution. Each eye resolution Spec is 1440x 1600.

Is it okay to set Steamvr Supersampling above this to get better image?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I want to understand something about the odyssey plus resolution. Each eye resolution Spec is 1440x 1600.

Of course it is, but I would advise using either DCS PD or SteamVR SS for your SS. Mixing both is not a great idea. Most prefer just using SteamVR SS and keeping DCS PD at 1.0.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sze5003 my issue is that with the same setting, my Hornet, Tomcat, Warthog, blarkshark looks so great with my dcs PD at 1.3 and steamVR put at default values.

The MFD is where most stuff happens and I cannot just use MFD for anything. The two MFD are seating deep in the cockpit I have come to know the farther an object, the more blurry and fuzzy they are.

Some bit of improvement after deleting fx and metashader2 folder.

I agree with you. The other airframes look fine for me too in my Odyssey. I would just choose one SS solution. My steam vr is stable edition with default values. 100% and I use 1.5 PD in dcs.

Some people enable custom resolution by checking the box under the steam vr video tab and move that slider to match their hmd native resolution or as close as possible to it.

I have not messed with that. Deleting the shaders folders seemed to help a bit but I still have a hard time with the MFD's obviously and most of the pilot's button labels.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

@Imacken. Thanks.

Funny thing is steamVR SS doesn't seem to sharpen the image.

I have experimented with dcs PD at 1.0 and increased SS to no significant effect.

I only get sharp image with dcs PD at 1.3 and steamVR setting at default.

@Sze5003. Looks like we are in the same boat here. I bought the Viper largely on account of the VR. Have flown the Viper in one other sim so dcs vr version was my temptation.

Let hope some guys would give a modded clean pit.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Remember everybody you have the new spyglass VR zoom function which you can find under the UI Layer controls. Should allow you to see the MFDs a bit more clearly until they are improved.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I also find the cockpit a bit harder to read in VR than the F/A-18 (as well as the MFDs). I'm on a Rift S (PD 1.3 / in game IPD 50 / MSAA x2 on both planes).

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

For the benefit of the uneducated one who just got a Rift S, what does the in game IPD actually do and where should it be set?

It seems its totally unrelated to the headset IPD.

Dcs ipd setting is more of scaling object. It make cockpit and other objects larger or smaller in the 3d world.

MFDs are hard to read and small

Yes. My first thought and lasting expression after few hours of flying yesterday was that all the money and effort that goes to buy a new hardware, new VR etc to get a huge clarity boost in Hornet and F-14 etc, is now gone in the F-16C.

It is difficult to make out what is reading in the MFCD's. Even the HUD looks somewhat blurry and slightly distracting.

Like seriously saying, the best HUD still is in the AV-8B Harrier and F/A-18C Hornet, it has great clarity in those and it is easy to get information by a glance.

And when it comes to MFCD clarity, the F-16C is just mushy and requires to leaning forward. It is like difference between CV1 and Rift S. Doesn't sound big, but it is a major difference in clarity.

To me it looks like the F-16C requires a lot of work for the graphics department for HUD and displays, and if something should be then do, is to detect when player is in the VR and apply a somekind new special mode for those so they are clear.

As again the "design" over "form" is not good thing in these. I wouldn't mind that the HUD and the MFCD fonts and other graphics are slightly unrealistic if it adds the clarity that real pilot would have but in VR.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

@Imacken. Thanks.

Funny thing is steamVR SS doesn't seem to sharpen the image.

I have experimented with dcs PD at 1.0 and increased SS to no significant effect.

I only get sharp image with dcs PD at 1.3 and steamVR setting at default.

To be honest, there is something wrong then. SteamVR SS is excellent at sharpening. Better than DCS PD.

I run at 204% in SteamVR SS and 1.0 PD.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

To be honest, there is something wrong then. SteamVR SS is excellent at sharpening. Better than DCS PD.

I got to play with that some more then. Cheers.

I can't say I'm having issues with ipd, as many others here seem to have

Kept my ipd settings the same as in the Hornet (at 67) and it all feels pretty natural actually (over 10 years of F-16 maintenance experience... so I can say I've sat in the real thing couple of times ;))

As for readability with my CV1... Let's say, it is possible to read mfd's, but only if I place my chin on my knee in front of the mfd :P

Wasn't planning on buying a next gen HMD just yet. So I sure hope someone will create a readibility fix for this just like in the Cat (or even better, a fix by ED themselves.

Edit: I use PD1.4 by the way

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

May you share your settings in DCS? How can u push PD1.7 and OTT1.3 with a 1080ti?

I owned a 1080ti too but I struggle at 1.3PD and OTT1.0... Although I am using vive

Did u change any settings in Nvidia panel too?

I’ll do it later today or tomorrow. I’ll provide screen grabs of NCP, DCS, and OTT and anything else anyone asks for.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

What would you say is the appropriate Steam SS for the original odyssey? I tried default at 100% and then there is application tab which if I check that it defaults to 150% for my 1080ti. I can't tell if I noticed anything different. But then I have to run dcs and select that as the application. Whereas the default video tab I think sets it for everything?

Overall I'd say it looks good from a reverb users POV...

MFD's... They could be better, but really they aren't bad, I'd say the worst thing is that HSD looks "dim" and hard to read with the fine lines. I think the FCR is fine. Stores etc is fine.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Is there a seat height control implemented yet?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Is there a seat height control implemented yet?

I bind camera view up/down/forward/back to HOTAS. up/down same as seat adjustment.

So after a few hours I really need to say that I'm disappointed from the cockpit and hope that it is WIP.

All the gauges and also the text seems very blurry and unclear. Flying the F-14 and especially the F-18 is a world in difference.

Yes, the MFDs are small, but they are also hard to read. I would guess that the MFDs on the A-10 are the same size, however it is much more easier for me to read them then the viper ones.

It would not be that big game breaker for me if everything would stay as it is, but, however, I don't see it up on the line like the on top modules are at the moment.

O+, SteamVR 150%, PD 1.0, IPD standard.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

I bind camera view up/down/forward/back to HOTAS. up/down same as seat adjustment.

Preciate it. I'll give it a try when I get home. Any idea where that control is located in the cockpit?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals