How are you guys dealing with the afterburner detent on your throttle?

key_stroked

I have an X-56, which has no built in detents. Afaik, Heatblur hasn't commented on any of the detent threads in the past asking for either a finger lift function or a way to engage AB without using the throttle range.

For those with throttles without physical detents, how are you dealing with it?

I've tried searching for DIY mods for the X-55/56 to add detents, but many use tools like hot melt guns that I don't have access to.

If HB could just give us a finger lift option like the F-18 has, it would be a huge help to their customers.

I don't understand why they refuse to comment on it, and if they did then I missed it in the forum clutter.

I'm just learning the position my throttle needs to be in for AB to engage in each aircraft. Also, listening, noting fuel flow and nozzle position.

Same. In combat, while constantly looking outside, sound is good enough to play between mil power and PC.

Yeah, well, I've posted about it, as have others, multiple times. I can only hope they add a fingerlift or similar keybind some day.

I find it very hard to find the exact point of afterburner. Especially when landing on the carrier and wanting to get maximum military thrust, but without engaging the afterburner, in case of bolter.

And, as we should all know, you don't want those F110s at full afterburner at low speeds. If one cuts out, you become a frisbee.

Yeah, well, I've posted about it, as have others, multiple times. I can only hope they add a fingerlift or similar keybind some day.

I find it very hard to find the exact point of afterburner. Especially when landing on the carrier and wanting to get maximum military thrust, but without engaging the afterburner, in case of bolter.

And, as we should all know, you don't want those F110s at full afterburner at low speeds. If one cuts out, you become a frisbee.

Lol weeeeee *jester ejects*

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I did use the detent on the warthog throttle for a while and tuned the axis to match it.

However removed it after one night as it annoyed me too much. In the heat of battle I wanted to be able to just punch it.

I have read currently its a bit borked when it comes to feedback but you are able to hear and "feel" it if you get used to it.

It is a ton easier in VR if you can have a quick look at the throttle, and I personally have a Subpack in my back that also helps greatly to actually feel AB kicking in.

Now that doesnt work for everyone of course.

I did use the detent on the warthog throttle for a while and tuned the axis to match it.

However removed it after one night as it annoyed me too much. In the heat of battle I wanted to be able to just punch it.

I have read currently its a bit borked when it comes to feedback but you are able to hear and "feel" it if you get used to it.

It is a ton easier in VR if you can have a quick look at the throttle, and I personally have a Subpack in my back that also helps greatly to actually feel AB kicking in.

I 3d printed the friction detent mod.

You can shave down the original one to achieve the same option.

I cannot recommend anything more.

It's about 30min print if you have a buddy with a 3d printer.

I 3d printed the friction detent mod.

You can shave down the original one to achieve the same option.

I cannot recommend anything more.

It's about 30min print if you have a buddy with a 3d printer.

Do you still have the model for it, or a link where you got it?

That'd be awesome

i use the wh throttle with the detent, ive rounded it off so i still get resistance but i can push it through thte gate without having to actually lift it.

my settings are set it to slider, 0 curve, 15 deadzone. this is perfect, the stop is 100% mil and it pops straight into ab beyond that. theres also no deadzone at idle so its spot on

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

If I remember correctly from earlier threads, the Heatblur response was basically "not realistic since in the actual jet you had to push the throttles outward and forward. There's a sound effect you can listen for. Deal with it."

Pretty disappointing both in attitude and the outright refusal to give us a simple QOL feature that the F-5 and F/A-18 both have.

Subpack?

If I remember correctly from earlier threads, the Heatblur response was basically "not realistic since in the actual jet you had to push the throttles outward and forward. There's a sound effect you can listen for. Deal with it."

Pretty disappointing both in attitude and the outright refusal to give us a simple QOL feature that the F-5 and F/A-18 both have.

I am fairly sure we never said anything even remotely sounding like that. Our apologies, if that was your impression.

We're happy to take any suggestion on board, but a workaround is not always preferable over a realistic implementation, if current throttles do not provide such function per se. However since I feel this is important to you guys, we'll be happy to take a second look.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I am fairly sure we never said anything even remotely sounding like that. Our apologies, if that was your impression.

We're happy to take any suggestion on board, but a workaround is not always preferable over a realistic implementation, if current throttles do not provide such function per se. However since I feel this is important to you guys, we'll be happy to take a second look.

My apologies for coming off as hostile as I probably did. It was very shortly after release, thus my being foggy on the exact phrasing and who even said it. Only point I intended was that HB said 'no' for realism reasons and that you wouldn't even (at the time) consider it. The "deal with it" part thus being colored by my butthurtedness.

It wouldn't be such a big deal to me if there were a high-quality throttle with a detent you can adjust to exactly match the F-14's in-game. But the Warthog, with its unnecessary weight, cheap internals, and useless TDC slew, can hardly be called "high-quality." And Virpil has since discontinued any version of its throttle with a detent.

The audible sound effect is, at the end of the day, just a workaround too since you, A) certainly wouldn't hear it if you were wearing dual earpro and B) would also feel it. I'm glad you guys will reconsider your position on this, as the lack of such a feature is probably the one thing keeping me from fully enjoying the Tomcat module. Thanks for all you do.

My apologies for coming off as hostile as I probably did. It was very shortly after release, thus my being foggy on the exact phrasing and who even said it. Only point I intended was that HB said 'no' for realism reasons and that you wouldn't even (at the time) consider it. The "deal with it" part thus being colored by my butthurtedness.

It wouldn't be such a big deal to me if there were a high-quality throttle with a detent you can adjust to exactly match the F-14's in-game. But the Warthog, with its unnecessary weight, cheap internals, and useless TDC slew, can hardly be called "high-quality." And Virpil has since discontinued any version of its throttle with a detent.

The audible sound effect is, at the end of the day, just a workaround too since you, A) certainly wouldn't hear it if you were wearing dual earpro and B) would also feel it. I'm glad you guys will reconsider your position on this, as the lack of such a feature is probably the one thing keeping me from fully enjoying the Tomcat module. Thanks for all you do.

I'll see what we can do, Chuck. Thanks again for your input!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The impression was definitely that. I made quite a few post and PM's about that when the jet first launch. Looking back, I can understand at launch there are a lot of other things to look at, but, personally, I definitely felt even thinking about this was given the cold shoulder.

It's a HUGE thing for me personally, and while I understand, the manual even states:

"The throttles in the F-14 have detents preventing unintentional engine start and shutdown and unintentional selection of afterburner."

That's all I want, I know there is a sound, but it's like three different clunks in the throttle motion leaving a large zone of what could possible be just before entering afterburner. And the engine gauges are still alpha model guages, so I don't have the greatest confidence in them. Fuel flow is a good indicator, but when I'm coming over the top in a fight and just want military power I don't like having to look, or listen.

The way the F-5, F-18, and F-16 have a push button, I like. Again, just my opinion/request. But please just take a look at it.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift