New Pilot; Fast Start (?)

TheSledge

Hello all,

I'm a veteran (pushing sixty, now) gamer and enthusiastic flight simmer from the early days of MSFS, but with no recent realism flying experience. I came across DCS a few weeks ago and was completely captivated by the real-world of the game and modules.

In line with how I usually do things, I read up on hardware setups and ordered recommended joystick, throttles and pedals, as well as TrackIR5 and bought a bunch of modules (winter sale very tempting) and various campaigns etc. So...where to start?

I mention 'Fast Start' in the title but that's more a reference to the fact I'm lucky enough to be able to go all-in with gear, alongside state-of-the-art computing and graphics power. I'm not expecting easy. I'm willing to go as deep and slow as necessary to get the best experience.

To you veterans, what would YOU do given these circumstances. Anything different? Would you have done things in an alternative fashion?

Modules available to me, as well as the starter craft:

A10, AJS-37, F5-E, AV-8B, L-39, F/A-18, plus the Huey, 109, FW190D and Spitfire.

The ones that interest me most, on the face of it, are the A10, Harrier and Huey.

I'll be setting up and getting into the first sessions this Sunday. What would you advise as a decent plan of action?

Many thanks in advance,

Sledge, Oxford, UK

Hello all,

Hello .. what a refreshing thing, it isnt frequent to find a thread that starts with a salute :)

To you veterans, what would YOU do given these circumstances. Anything different? Would you have done things in an alternative fashion?

I agree with you that a good set of controllers increases the enjoyment of the sim and makes it easier to learn, so I'd say that the Hotas, trackir and rudder (for the helo) are good purchases.

Modules available to me, as well as the starter craft:

A10, AJS-37, F5-E, AV-8B, L-39, F/A-18, plus the Huey, 109, FW190D and Spitfire.

The ones that interest me most, on the face of it, are the A10, Harrier and Huey.

I love that your spending helps support our developers, but honestly I believe it is better to go purchasing and learning one to one .. I believe you should start with the A-10C and the Huey .. leave the others for after you finish learning these ones, maybe that will give Razbam more time to really complete the Harrier :)

For the A-10C, here is one of the most enjoyables videos I've seen for it and will get you started :D

a4VuDetuPmA

Cheers!

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi TheSledge,

Welcome to DCS and the forums.

WOW you went all out. Enough content there to last you years.

You want to really learn to "fly" first? That will make all the other aircraft seem to easy? Spitfire or 109. Doing circuits, touch and go's etc. You will need to refine your controls for these craft tho. What controls do you have? I have a full VKB gunfighter with a 200mm extension which enables me to have zero axis cure. In game axis cure allows you to fine tune the center of the stick to make the middle less sensitive.

Read the Essay's about taildraggers by an instructor at the top of the spitfire thread. Parts 1, 2 and 3

The A-10C will be easier to fly and navigate. It will take you many weeks / months to get proficient at the systems controls and weapons. Then some strategy and tactics......Oh and enemies defences:cry: It's A LOT to take in and take your time with it, most things are modeled. You can make it your virtual career to be fully proficient at it + combat training . It is a REAL training sim in real life.

and this is where I recommend you try a few things out, find something you really enjoy and really dig in. The A-10 will keep you going for ........... Well ever. I still need refreshing at times to be good for online play vs other people / ground commanders.

The game manuals are found (

)

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\ DOC

The aircraft manuals are found under each aircraft name / doc file

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta(Or Stable)\Mods\aircraft

Broken down manuals by Chuck (highly recommended)

For any aircraft, especially the A-10C

and the end game? Once half proficient you might like to join others online down the track, you can learn real fast with help and dynamic action. It's a bit of a big leap for some(Like flying for real and talking to ATC for the first time), once done you will not go back..... DCS now also has VOIP built in many use dcs simple radio. This connects the radio's in DCS. I.E set the radio's in the A-10 to 135 and you can talk to the team when flying together.

This is were you also learn

and get an idea what it's really like being proficient at X aircraft, working with a team to get X done, watching each others backs against other teams PVP or AI PVE

(PVP) player vs Player

(PVE) Player vs. Environment

In any case you need basic skills first, navigation GPS/VOR/TACAN Fly a radial. Take off and Land, get to IP point etc. Good read for the A-10 Hog Basics

Great missions for the A-10C

A-10C Basic Flight Training Qualification

A-10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification

A-10C Tactical Training Qualification

Many good campaign's too, to test the skills.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

@ Eduardo and David, thank you for taking the time for those thoughtful replies. I think I was wanting to be led rather than coaxed so these are gold. I shall start with the A10 and Huey. I am looking forward greatly to the pre-flight and startup procedures..but I’m not sure what that says about me! I have d/l Chuck’s guides to start me on the path and will prob now binge watch YT videos and read manuals ahead of Sunday launch.

@Eduardo HOTAS is TM Warthog stick and throttles with TM pedals and the TrackIR with headset reflector mount, and I can max everything graphically so hopefully I can approach the beauty of @Juice’s photo.

Thanks all and see you in game some time, maybe.

/Sledge o7

Hi Sledge

I started out learning the A10 and found the training campaigns listed at the end of Davids post invaluable. There are a full suite of YT videos which cover each mission and there are also practice missions. There is such a sense of achievement when complete.

On a more subjective note I would suggest trialing a VR headset; I did last year and (for me) it transformed this hobby. You will find an even split of opinion on this, but in my view a trial is essential!!

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Wow,

I mean you put some heavy weight on your shoulders ;)

My advice, from the technical site, get the Pro Clip for your TiR, it is more reliable but you will need to wear a headset to clamp it on. You can try how reliable the HatClip is in your setup and then decide

if the Pro Clip is a step ahead in reliable head tracking.

If you encounter micro stutter while using TiR when panning left or right, lock your FPS to 60 fps and it will be gone. Best done with MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner. We can guide you there if you don't find your way to this.

Imho, the A-10C focuses too much on MFD_s and overall aircraft setup that is beyond the actual basics of flying. If you get stuck, take a prop for a spin and enjoy the ease of only 20 knobs and dials. Those can be mastered ( dials and knobs wise ) on 1 weekend whereas the A-10C may take years, no kidding. Not saying it's not worth it but it can be so overwhelming that you loose fun in DCS at some point down the A-10C road. It is a very complex module.

The Huey, yaa, she flies like a real chopper, a nice change in your mix. If you can fly the Huey you can try all other Helicopters as well.

Try them all out and then settle with one while using the props to learn proper flying.

DCS is a complex sim, take it easy and dont get lost :joystick::pilotfly:

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

... will prob now binge watch YT videos and read manuals ahead of Sunday launch.

Here are some YT tutorials for the A-10C (there are some in spanish, just ignore those :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFtNdz4UYM-q3npmxBXgQW7yJECgvFBWO

... and here, some for the Huey:

:) Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hello and welcome,

Just wanted to let you feel at home in this little niche passion we all share here.

I will add to the helpful replies you've received, don't miss the chance to surf the community/multiplayer section, you may very well find a squadron that may help you in your learning curve while being casual enough for your liking, i've seen enough flavours to cater all palates, and life is funnier with buddies.

Regards,

Since you already have it, start with L-39. There's a "Kursant" campaign for it too. Then maybe F-5 as an advanced fast trainer (like T-38 ).

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hi TheSledge

A lot of great advice to get you started so I thought I would share my experience with you. I started of with the Huey, A10c and FC3, and the A10c is probably my go to aircraft. The first one I learnt was the SU 27, then jumped to the SU 33 as the A10c seemed to be a bit too involved, but I wanted to bomb stuff with laser guided bombs, so with the little knowledge I had of the Hog I sat down on a Saturday afternoon, watched a few videos and now I can bomb an ant from 30,000 feet, and nothing is more satisfactory. Payload has to be light though as I need to fly higher than the SAM and Shilka ranges as I am not too good with countermeasures. I have recently bought the F-18 as I wanted to get to battle quicker, but haven't figured out how to drop bombs yet, so have been dabbling with air to air combat, but again, the countermeasure side lets me down.

So I was playing on a 27 inch 144Hz monitor, which was great, but then I brought down my 46 inch tv from the bedroom and wow what a difference. So I was going to buy a 35+ inch monitor but then it hit me, get a VR Rift as they had dropped a lot in price, and believe me, the rift has completely changed my gaming experience.

Good luck in your new venture and hope to see you in the skies.

Edited by Bearskin

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

Well...that was some Sunday. First part: setting up the HOTAS and pedals and getting everything to work with TrackIR and Target/profiles. I think the moral of all the stories therein is: RTFM and look at what's been posted about the subject especially recently/currently. Anyway, all good!

Second part: trying to fly.

Ok, I was accurate in that I was right this wasn't going to be easy. I very quickly decided I would have to focus all my efforts on a) learning to fly and b) very few - if more than one - model.

Much though I enjoyed watching the rotor spin off through the fields. By itself. I decided to park the chopper for a while. So...

The A-10C it is.

It's not easy, is it? But I am immersed and committed. I bought the training campaigns and found, fast, that they are VERY difficult. So I'm practicing and re-practicing the Learning missions, as well as setting up my own fast missions to practice specific stuff. I'm loving it and quite proud that I have yet to fire or drop anything (intentionally), and will try not to do so until I'm confident I can get up, somewhere, back and down safely with confidence.

The bangs can wait a while. Watch this space!

Thanks to all who replied and helped make this a fun start to the sortie.

Sledge x

Glad to have you aboard! I bought the A-10c as my first aircraft and I realized I was over my head and struggled, but with your real life experience, it will be better. Once you have mastered the A-10c, everything else will be a piece of cake! I do recommend something like an F-5 to start as the systems are simpler, but jumping into the fire with the A-10c pays off for those who are stubborn, like me, Lol!

Glad to have you aboard! I bought the A-10c as my first aircraft and I realized I was over my head and struggled, but with your real life experience, it will be better. Once you have mastered the A-10c, everything else will be a piece of cake! I do recommend something like an F-5 to start as the systems are simpler, but jumping into the fire with the A-10c pays off for those who are stubborn, like me, Lol!

Choice is made - A-10C

This is going to be something of an homage; first to ED for what they have made here, but then to everyone who's been here for years and their knowledge & contributions and then to the guys who helped me directly in my first week.

Thank you.

Today I got a Q (not Q-) across the board for A-10C Basic Flight Qualification 03 - Flying a Traffic Pattern. This is the day 'I got it'. Wow! All (well, not 'all') the struggles I had in the last few days disappeared. There was muscle memory and touch and feel and comfort and...basically...yeah I know how to do this.

Most of all it was a HUGE smile and feeling of satisfaction that I haven't known in 30+ years of gaming. There are REAL achievements in these milestones. Game on.

Thanks everyone!

Sledge

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Checking in - one month fly-by and a few home truths.

I am enjoying learning the A-10C and its systems. I haven't joined any MP servers yet; I just don't think I'm good enough but I am improving. Looking back to just a month ago, I know now that I set my sights too high for how fast competency can be achieved. In fact, setting any target has proved problematic because, well, just being able to 'do' something, doesn't mean you can do it competently or well.

I've learned that this is important and my own analogy is that it's like learning another language: you can learn the words, but if you don't understand the grammar and the structure you'll never be fluent. Fluency can be achieved in many, MANY years of practice and immersion or much faster through a thorough grounding in the mechanics of language in general and the specific language, in particular.

Likewise, here I have learned a little and moved on. For example, I was able to fly level for a while and turn and moved on; I did a few circuits and moved on. The fact that I wasn't nailing speed and altitude in turns didn't seem to be a showstopper; the fact that I never came out of base leg lined up (or even close) didn't matter because I could always get down. Unfortunately, a little further down the track, I find that my skills aren't anywhere near good enough to do what I now want to do, like formation flying and AAR. I don't MIND that this is the case, but I now KNOW it to be the case and I'm glad it's only one month in and I can plan a route forward.

For me, that's going to be going back to the basics and really getting the grammar and structure of flight right! For sure I'll still be learning the A-10C and its systems but I'm going to go back and learn to fly the L39 or C101 until I understand it.

Cheers for all the advice here and elsewhere!

Sledge x