coherent package

dali

I'm aware that DCS is kinda sandbox for flight sim...but would realy like to have coherent package, like DCS Korea, with terrain, AI and flyable units in sync with historical data etc...currently this is more or less availible only online, with limited aircraft set, armament etc..

Now we get terrain and bunch of planes which don't correspond in historical terms...one needs to create own missions or download someone's...and good mission creator needs to be very knowledgable in terms of hardware etc...

So like comprehensive assets for a particular era/conflict?

If so yep I'm all in! This is one of the downsides with DCS, and a pretty noticeable one at that once you get into mission editing, sure you can absolutely workaround the problem in a creative way, but it's less than ideal.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

A mig alley map/terrain would be awesome!

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

I can’t agree more with the OP. And they could fleece us out of our money for those asset packs, which sounds bad, but is actually a good thing. In a way this is already being tested DCS WWII is at last becoming a thing. But if you had a Korean War asset pack, a Vietnam asset pack, a Yom Kippur war asset pack, a War in the Pacific asset pack, you would have a pretty well populated world, and at $X per pack per person. You would be pumping money into the sim. Which gives incentive to do it in the packs to begin with, and may finance more Core features.

... But if you had a Korean War asset pack, a Vietnam asset pack, a Yom Kippur war asset pack, a War in the Pacific asset pack, you would have a pretty well populated world, and at $X per pack per person. You would be pumping money into the sim.

Man, that would surely piss-off the MP people .. dont you remember how much they bitched about the WW2 Asset pack, when it came out? :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Razbam are attempting the Falklands conflict - if you look at all the work they have to do you can see how even something as limited as that is going to take years, I'd hate to think what Korea would take. I agree with the sentiment behind the wish though. Gulf War 1 would be a wonderful sweet spot I reckon.

WW2 asset pack being seperate means servers using it are empty, it's easy to see it happening. Annoying too for those of us who want populated WW2 servers, unfortunately. Trying to persuade people to try the piston fighters and have them buy an asset pack on top is an uphill struggle :(

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

maybe wild idea - a subscription fee for full access to all models for online play? Or separate DCS "whole package module" within DCS - like DCS Korea or Vietnam...I know many people (me including) crave for such "pure" experience....Not flying Dora over Las Vegas....ok, that can be cool too....

If there is separate module for certain time period, than making aircraft, fitting to certain time era would make sense.

So like comprehensive assets for a particular era/conflict?

yes. Syria/Israe/Egypt map with Mig-21, Mig-19 and Kfir (oh, where is that Mirage III....)...and assest of that ere for instance. I think ED should streamline the asset packages and enable partly separated modules (separated from the DCS World sandbox). So when creating missions for certain era, only assets from that era would be availible....

This, after multi core support, is the most common complaint for the DCS.

1) Originally there was one coherent campaign in fictional 1990s Ukraine War in LOMAC and Flaming Cliffs with historical 1990s plane set, assets, AI planes and map of Caucasus.

Some DCS modules fit like 1990s variants of Ka-50, Mi-8.

3rd party 1990s variants of F-14B, Mirage 2000, Gazelle, C-101 and AJ-37 Viggen also fit when it comes to timeframe and - since the conflict in 1990s was fictional there are correct.

2) Next coherent campaign is WWII Normandy operation with historical plane set P-51D, Bf-109K-4, FW-190A-9, FW-190D-9, Spitfire IX with P-47D, Mosquito and Me-262 in development. All that with historical Normandy map, AI planes and Normandy WWII asset pack.

Other DCS modules are semi sandboxes for now.

1) There are F/A-18C Lot20, F-16C block 50 CCIP, A-10C and Razbam's AV-8B NA - all variants from 2004-2007.

But without proper assets like air defence, ground radars, AI planes, ships etc.

New Nimitz and Arleigh Burke will fit 2004-2007 timeframe.

When it comes to map there were no major symmetric air operations after Desert Storm so any modern map could be proper. Persian Gulf, New Syria, new Pacific. Nevada as Red Flag.

We can hope for 2004-2007 assets like AI enemy planes, air defence, radars, ships etc., but realisticly speaking it would be very hard if not impossible to realistically model i.e. S-300 or Patriot algorithms and way of operating of mid 2000s variants - they are strictly classified. The same with red force AI planes from mid 2000s etc.

2) Next semi sandbox is 1970s F-5E, MiG-21bis, Huey, L-39 - but also without map, AI planes, assets, etc. F-8J crusader is under development.

3) Another semi sandbox is F-86 Sabre and MiG-15 from Korea, without Korean map, assets, AI planes or other modules.

Tle last category are complete sandboxes - an airplane without any environment - I-16 Rata from 1940, civilian Christen Eagle aerobatic plane, JF-17 block 2 from 2016, MiG-19 from mid 1950s to Vietnam, trainer Jak-52, from 1970s - 1980s, etc.

Big respect for the Razbam - they are working on third coherent campaign for DCS (after 1990s Crimea and WWII Normandy) - 1982 Falkland War. With historical map of Falklands, British Sea Harrier FRS1 and Argentinian IAI Dagger, historical ground assets and ships and possibly more.

Edited by bies

I think ED should focus on the mid 2000's as that seems to be the era they have the most assets in. They could focus on a Ukraine/NATO/Russia war and a mid 2000's PG war as well / the equipment used in iraq at the time.

I'd love to see S300's with the 48N6, SA12, SA14/16, Sa17, Patriat Pac2-gem, pac3, etc.

A more fleshed out Russian/UK/NATO navies with units such as the early Type 45's.

Also desrt camo's for all the ground units would be a welcome addition as well.

Man, that would surely piss-off the MP people .. dont you remember how much they bitched about the WW2 Asset pack, when it came out? :D

Sure it would, but the cost to develop this stuff had to be covered somehow. If we want core features, and more content there has to be incentive to build them. Maybe bundle the pack in with a module from that era. But you have to cover the cost. You want to play on that Vietnam server you gotta buy the required modules. This thing, DCS, has to make money, or it goes away.

I'm aware that DCS is kinda sandbox for flight sim...but would realy like to have coherent package, like DCS Korea, with terrain, AI and flyable units in sync with historical data etc...currently this is more or less availible only online, with limited aircraft set, armament etc..

Now we get terrain and bunch of planes which don't correspond in historical terms...one needs to create own missions or download someone's...and good mission creator needs to be very knowledgable in terms of hardware etc...

2008 Russo georgian war, modern era Persian gulf and Nevada, the upcoming present day Syria map. In turn present day Mariana islands does have planned pertinent chinese assets.

Yes there are enough assets that still fit into 21st century time frame, and are coherent for those scenarios as this seems to be the greatest focus.

I'm sure at some point there will be dcs korea or something but remember that dcs ww2 disnt happen overnight. P51 and german d9 and 109 were without a ww2 era map or assets for quite some time.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Razbam are attempting the Falklands conflict - if you look at all the work they have to do you can see how even something as limited as that is going to take years, I'd hate to think what Korea would take. I agree with the sentiment behind the wish though. Gulf War 1 would be a wonderful sweet spot I reckon.

WW2 asset pack being seperate means servers using it are empty, it's easy to see it happening. Annoying too for those of us who want populated WW2 servers, unfortunately. Trying to persuade people to try the piston fighters and have them buy an asset pack on top is an uphill struggle :(

I also fly IL2 and there regardless if you own the map or not you can still join multiplayer servers that run any map, you can also be a gunner or crewmember in planes and tanks you do not own. In single player of course not.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

BIG kudos to Razbam for doing that though.

I think ED should focus on the mid 2000's as that seems to be the era they have the most assets in. They could focus on a Ukraine/NATO/Russia war and a mid 2000's PG war as well / the equipment used in iraq at the time.

There is one problem with focusing post Desert Storm era - it will be impossible to model any Russian ~2000 year full fidelity plane. Even one.

No Su-27SM or Su-30SM3. No MiG-29M. No Su-34.

Focusing on mid 2000s means US planes only. US Air Force vs US Navy.

That's why i prefer air campaigns up to Desert Storm when it is possible to model both sides.

Like WWII, Korea, 6 day war, Vietnam war, Jom Kippur war, Falkland war, Lebanon air campaign, Desert Storm.

Edited by bies

I'm somewhat surprised no one's mentioned a late 80s / early 90s Fulda Gap sort of scenario. Another couple of scenarios that would be fun would be a current NATO vs Russia in Ukraine or Georgia type thing as well as a Balkans Allied Force pack.

Also, with the JF-17 introduced, it would be fun to do a "What if" scenario of a US/NATO vs Pakistan conflict in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Far more interesting terrain than the PG, IMHO.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

There is one problem with focusing post Desert Storm era - it will be impossible to model any Russian ~2000 year full fidelity plane. Even one.

No Su-27SM or Su-30SM3. No MiG-29M. No Su-34.

Focusing on mid 2000s means US planes only. US Air Force vs US Navy.

That's why i prefer air campaigns up to Desert Storm when it is possible to model both sides.

Like WWII, Korea, 6 day war, Vietnam war, Jom Kippur war, Falkland war, Lebanon air campaign, Desert Storm.

There's always Cold War what-if for any part of it, obviously. We did nearly go fiull red vs blue several times ( 1983 was a very very scary year ). GW1 was more or less still cold war, state of the art on the coalition side & a decade or two behind on the other...

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

I'm somewhat surprised no one's mentioned a late 80s / early 90s Fulda Gap sort of scenario. Another couple of scenarios that would be fun would be a current NATO vs Russia in Ukraine or Georgia type thing as well as a Balkans Allied Force pack.

Also, with the JF-17 introduced, it would be fun to do a "What if" scenario of a US/NATO vs Pakistan conflict in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Far more interesting terrain than the PG, IMHO.

1980s Fulda Gap scenario is probably the most interesting and possible to model in realistic way without guestimation or modeling only one side.

Might need a coherent market first to sell it to.

judging by the forums, no market is less coherent than the DCS one

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE