OT: Which OS do you use for gaming?

OT: Which OS do you use for gaming?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. OT: Which OS do you use for gaming?

• Vista and loving it!
    • Vista and I hate it
    • XP pro
    • XP home
    • Older/Other

The reason I ask is because I'm considering a downgrade to XP. Lock on runs terribly on vista, BS is said to have no advantage on vista over XP and I cannot take any advantage of DX10 because of my card. I'm wondering what you guys think. Right now, it seems it's XP all the way, and I'm willing to pay $90, even if it is just the Home version.

Sorry Moderators... I know this is a bit OT...

Sorry for the double post... My router crapped out in the middle and the poll was not posted. :(

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

personally i say its a bit early to upgrade to vista since the service pack is not out yet, there's plenty of programs out that that does not support it. Plus in order to run games, you have to jump through a lot of crap for example, upgrading the sf for lock on. Plus fps is horrible with vista compared to xp. So yea, downgrade (or should i say "upgrade") to XP. plus i heard service pack 3 is going to come out for xp next year and its suppose to be 10-20% faster than the current service pack 2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, if you are hoping the new Service pack for Vista is going to boost your speed, i wouldn't bet too much on it.

Read this article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071126/tc_nf/56872

It also talks about the new service pack 3 for XP, of course both service packs are in beta and are subject to change, but so far it doesn't look good for vista. So mind as well downgrade to XP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vista also does not take advantage of SLI Technology. If it isnt broke or the software does not require it then you shouldent upgrade.

I already have vista...

...So yea, downgrade (or should i say "upgrade") to XP....

My opinion exactly! ;)

Thanks for the input guys... and is there a major difference between XP home and pro? I've checked online on the Microsoft site and such and the ones shown there don't affect me much... not worth $50 more.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Oh, one dumb question... how does one go about wiping the HD to re-install the new OS? Should I plug the HD into another computer and wipe it manually there?

I had Vista, then downgraded when my hardware kept dissapearing, among other things. I thought it ran fine for a while, then you start noticing all the little problems with it. Once the newness wears off, then you are just stuck with problems.. I've since downgraded back to XP. What a joke Vista is. I love the new PCvs.Mac commercial about going back to XP hehe. So yes, XP all the way.

Agree with Avimimus

Anyway, to aeroscout, what you need to do is format your computer. If you have done that in the past, then it should be fairly simple and you should know what to do. Such as put in the XP cd and boot from there and follow the instructions. However, if you haven't done it in the past, it kinda complicated because you have to take time and back up all your files, that means some of your game data, your pictures, music, video, internet favorities...etc etc. So yea....good luck with that. You mind as well take this time to partition your HD so in the future if you format, most of your data is stored on the other side of the HD which is not being formatted.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm having no trouble at all with Vista. After reading the forums here, I almost got XP, but after some further research, I got Vista. I haven't had a single issue--and haven't had to do anything "special" to get games to run. I currently have installed: Silent Hunter IV, Lockon Flaming Cliffs, and World In Conflict. I really like the new look.

I read an article online--I think it was Tom's Hardware, that benchmarked XP vs. Vista with a number of games. If I recall, it was pretty much a wash--perhaps with Vista doing a little better.

However, time will tell. I've only had it for a month or so.

Vista also does not take advantage of SLI Technology.
I don't have SLI but was thinking of building a new pc next year.

I thought SLI was a hardware setup where 2 same vid cards were hooked together so ran faster sharing work. I didn't know the OS had anything to do with it. Can someone explain what the OS has to do with this? Does it manage what each card processes? And why would Vista not support it if XP does? And does Vista support Crossfire then or not?

Thanks.

Vista is a HUGE step forward... into "90% PC power is for system" sick philosophy. Therefore any sensible person will resist "upgrading" to Vista as long as he can*. Like Poko:thumbup: AND try to influence ED to support Linux or Windows XP at least in the near future.

* until one needs it for other reasons

Personally, I think each and every new Windows Operating System needs at least a year to bed down and have its problems sorted out before considering using it.

Interestingly enough, last night I was reading a magazine which detailed how you could set your graphics levels higher in XP than was supposed to be allowed. The line was that to get such graphics settings in the menus you needed Vista. Wish I could remember which game and which magazine that was now.

This reminded me of a game demo which "required" XP when it came out but with a quick workaround, performed immaculately on Windows 2000.

In any event I am always cautious about upgrading unless there is a real need. My advice would be to listen to feedback from the developers and testers who have used XP and Vista about this issue before upgrading.

Ps any Linux support?

Microsoft has been forcing people to switch to vista for some time now. For example, exclusive games such as Halo 2 for Vista only, but I can play that on XP too with MUCH better framerates. The same case with dx10. What's even more sad is that Microsoft FSX used images to paint misleading pictures to help promote dx10. http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/26/flight-simulator-developer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I woud liked the option... "I play under XP Pro although I'd liked Ubuntu more... and I hate Vista"

:megalol:

Just kidding you...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

XP pro for me. I tried vista and I hate that OS.

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

ditto. I hate vista with a passion. I have xp pro on 2 machines and xp home on a lappy, game with the xp pro tho.....

what sucks is micro$oft and directx10 in the future. of course they make it where vista is the only os that will support directx10.....more money in their pocket -)

I voted XP Pro - tried play in Vista but FC runs about 1/3 - 1/2 of speed on XP.... and even worse is Valve's CS:S Oo Its engine, very good, speed in Vista is dramatic.

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

@Bucic: Vista runs very well on mediocre systems, and there are some kinda clever ideas implemented to improve performance, like the new memory management which is way better than XP's + Vista contains important security improvements like the new UAC or the sandbox IE is running in.

Right said Acedy - vista runs. Computer is for running applications, not operating system. And there's generaly no way an application would run faster on Vista than on XP on the same rig.

Besides that, when have you seen a new OS generation which didn't have higher system requirements than the previous one? When XP came out people started whining about what a system hog it was, and now the same people praise it's performance compared to Vista,

I started using Windows XP about a year before official release. Codename Whistler. I switched from Windows 98. It runned not even a bit slower than Windows 98 and it was revolutionary compared to W98. Especialy stability.

and that's not even true like dostoevski pointed out. There are enough reviews available that show that Vista's performance on average is not much lower than XP's or even on a par with it, and remember that Vista + it's drivers aren't as optimized yet as XP is.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page4.html

Considering presented results it appears that actually Vista CAN run a game with the same performance as XP on the same rig. Then I should withdraw from my previous opinion. Hmmm... I'm very curious what would Linux vs Vista comparison show. I bet Linux would be at least on a par with Vista with MUCH lower system requirements and even better stability and security.

Anyway, the ED statement regarding Linux support is a real light in the tunnel i think.:thumbup: